Johnny Gaudreau: 2015/16 expectations?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Caged Great

Jan 1, 2007
Calgary
If Gaudreau had someone like Stamkos with him on his line, he would probably get 100+ points in a season. The linemates he has been with primarily are Monahan and Hudler. Neither would ever be described as a pure finisher. They can score their share of goals, but they aren't going to score 50.

The Flames need to get a pure sniper to work with him. Someone ready and waiting for those beauty passes he fires all over the place. If Gaudreau and Iginla were playing at the same time and roughly the same age, Iginla might have had a 70 goal season.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If Gaudreau had someone like Stamkos with him on his line, he would probably get 100+ points in a season. The linemates he has been with primarily are Monahan and Hudler. Neither would ever be described as a pure finisher. They can score their share of goals, but they aren't going to score 50.

The Flames need to get a pure sniper to work with him. Someone ready and waiting for those beauty passes he fires all over the place. If Gaudreau and Iginla were playing at the same time and roughly the same age, Iginla might have had a 70 goal season.

LOL...how are they going to get someone like Stamkos? That's a franchise type scorer.

You are underrating Monahan. The dude socred 30 goals as a 21 yrs old. He can be as good as any.

Hudler? yeah, he is going downhill fast

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Monahan had at least 3 chances he should have buried where Gaudreau had a primary or secondary assist. The Flames finishing tonight was absolutely awful and it reflected until Johnny's second goal which was essentially the nail in the coffin. The space and chances he creates when he is on the puck are an absolute pleasure to watch, and it is no secret that he is the catalyst for a large portion of the Flames offense at the moment. He should have more points than he has already.

Yea Monahan could have had a first period hat trick off of some of Johnny's set ups.

I would think he'd be right up there with the top 3 if he had a linemate like Panarin, Benn, or Seguin. Crazy to think he could hit 90 points on this Calgary roster. Think about that. If I were to tell you a year ago that a player was going to come to Calgary and score 90 points, you'd think that player was McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Kane, or Ovechkin.

He's also now a +7. Engelland is 2nd at +3. Only 4 other players on the team are plus at the moment. Monahan and Hudler are a combined -9.

Caged Great

Jan 1, 2007
Calgary
LOL...how are they going to get someone like Stamkos? That's a franchise type scorer.

You are underrating Monahan. The dude socred 30 goals as a 21 yrs old. He can be as good as any.

Hudler? yeah, he is going downhill fast

If Stamkos walks from Tampa and or his new destination if they deal him at the deadline and Calgary backs up the brinks truck, the lure of playing with Gaudreau might be enough. Long shots all, but one can dream of a line with Gaudreau Stamkos + someone to fill the RW spot.

Monahan looks to be a player that is a jack of all trades and a master of none. All of his skill are very good, but none are elite. He'll likely be a consistent 25-35 goal scorer, but not a 40+ goal guy. That is pretty good, but it's not the same type of guy I'm talking about.

The types of forwards I'm looking at in the sniper category are guys like Stamkos and to a lesser extent Iginla and Cammalleri. Guys that can really rifle off those one timers. The Flames have lacked that since Cammalleri signed in NJ.

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
If Stamkos walks from Tampa and or his new destination if they deal him at the deadline and Calgary backs up the brinks truck, the lure of playing with Gaudreau might be enough. Long shots all, but one can dream of a line with Gaudreau Stamkos + someone to fill the RW spot.

Monahan looks to be a player that is a jack of all trades and a master of none. All of his skill are very good, but none are elite. He'll likely be a consistent 25-35 goal scorer, but not a 40+ goal guy. That is pretty good, but it's not the same type of guy I'm talking about.

The types of forwards I'm looking at in the sniper category are guys like Stamkos and to a lesser extent Iginla and Cammalleri. Guys that can really rifle off those one timers. The Flames have lacked that since Cammalleri signed in NJ.

It would be nice, but in the cap world I don't see how it's going to be possible if the Flames don't make some big sacrifices. Gaudreau's going to cost us at least 7 million, Monahan 6 million, Stamkos 10 million. So that's 24 million in three players up front, plus the 6 million of Giordano, 4.6 million of Brodie and 5.6 million of Hamilton. That's nearly 40 million in six players plus we still have Bennett to sign.

Unless Treliving is a wizard and signs him for less than 8 million, I think we better keep dreaming.

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB

I think you are seriously under rating Monahan. Consider he is still only 20 and far younger than Gaudreau, even though he has the presence of a 30 year old on the ice. He will be our #1 center as he is better all around than Bennett is and given how he is almost automatic on rushes, I'd say he has a pretty good handle on picking corners. He will be Johnny's finisher for a long while.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Iginla isn't scoring 70 goals... People are really overrating linemates when it comes to the NHL. The best players will put up points regardless of who they play with.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Useless stat of the day:

In the 4 games so far this season where the Flames have worn their 3rd Jersey, Johnny has 12 points, including 2 hat tricks.

Last edited:

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

Ummm ok? Only Ovechkin scores 50 these days. I'm sure every playmaker in the league wishes they had a 50 goal scorer on their line. Monahan and Hudler are great linemates compared to what some other players have to deal with.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I've probably been Johnny's second biggest supporter on this site over the past 3 years or so. Constantly mocked for pumping his tires. He honestly is in the top teir of offensive players in the NHL. No question about that.

But He's not doing it alone. Sean Monahan doesn't do anything elite, except he is an elite finisher, no question about that. He had 5 goals in his first 6 NHL games after getting 5 in the preseason. Last year as a 19 year old he was on pace for 26 goals and 26 assists, playing in a defensive role against the other top lines with Glencross and Jones. He had 20+ in his rookie season on a crumby team.
since the 2011 draft only 2 players have scored more goals in the NHL then Sean. Sean was drafted in 2013. It's not like Panarin or some of the other guys listed are much if any better then Sean. To me the only line with two truly elite players on it is in Dallas. Maybe Anaheim but not this year.

Plus, he has three top pairing defencemen moving the puck up the ice in TJ, Gio and Hamilton as every Oiler fan points out in any Flame forward vs Edmonton forward thread.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I've probably been Johnny's second biggest supporter on this site over the past 3 years or so. Constantly mocked for pumping his tires. He honestly is in the top teir of offensive players in the NHL. No question about that.

But He's not doing it alone. Sean Monahan doesn't do anything elite, except he is an elite finisher, no question about that. He had 5 goals in his first 6 NHL games after getting 5 in the preseason. Last year as a 19 year old he was on pace for 26 goals and 26 assists, playing in a defensive role against the other top lines with Glencross and Jones. He had 20+ in his rookie season on a crumby team.
since the 2011 draft only 2 players have scored more goals in the NHL then Sean. Sean was drafted in 2013. It's not like Panarin or some of the other guys listed are much if any better then Sean. To me the only line with two truly elite players on it is in Dallas. Maybe Anaheim but not this year.

Plus, he has three top pairing defencemen moving the puck up the ice in TJ, Gio and Hamilton as every Oiler fan points out in any Flame forward vs Edmonton forward thread.
you don't think the sedins are elite? what about Backstrom and Ovi?

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
On a shift to shift basis I don't think anyone can single handedly drive offense like this guy can. He honestly might have the best hands I have ever seen. His feel for the puck is generational

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2007
As an Oilers fan it sure is a shame that the Flames found such a gem. Fortunately I have him on my fantasy team so it lessens the blow of watching him light it up every single home game for Calgary.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
you don't think the sedins are elite? what about Backstrom and Ovi?

Ok that's true. Those are pretty close but I don't think they are on the level of Seguin-Benn or Perry-Getzlaf although they are pretty good too.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
He's only had one 4 point game, soooo something doesn't add up. :laugh:

lol 12 points not 16. Not sure if that was a typo or if I was still drunk from the game and doing beer math

Oct 23 vs. Red Wings - 2 assists
Nov 7 vs. Penguins - 2 goals, 1 assist
Dec 4 vs. Bruins - 3 goals, 1 assist
Dec 22 vs. Jets - 3 goals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad