Player Discussion John-Jason (JJ) Peterka, RW (34th overall, 2020) -- Signed to ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He was clearly one of the top forwards in camp. If you’re going to tell your organization full of kids that opportunities can be earned he has to make the team.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Every player is unique, I get that.

In the past 12 years, what instances of crushing a kids spirit by keeping him off the NHL roster do we have. Besides Pilut, who wasn't exactly a kid.

Not to stereotype, but Draisaitl handled extra development just fine. Dont know why we are assuming Peterka will cry in das Cheerios if he spends some time Rochester.

But I will defer to the coaches on this one. Maybe the AHL is a waste of time for the kid.

David Moravec, Ratoslav Hecl, Mark Mancari, Alex Beiga, Goggula and Schulz, Luke Adam, Catanacci, Alex Nylander, Schiestel never would have been injured and would be the next Sandis Ozolinsh right now.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I've said it elsewhere, but I believe that JJ should be sent to Rochester.

• We've got a 19 year old young man who has put up 16 goals and 15 assists over 2 seasons playing against men in the DEL - which is in the lower half of most rankings of professional hockey leagues and definitely behind the AHL
  • In the 3 or 4 weeks that he has been exposed to the pro game in North America, he has given us glimpses of his potential to be a really nice player and scorer in the NHL. The problem is, as of right now, he has played against invitees and prospects in the Prospects Challenge, and mixed rosters in the preseason.
  • I love the fact that he has shown such promise and that he is so well spoken with the press and seemingly full of enthusiasm
  • One of the most common themes I have seen on this board is how the Sabres have rushed players to the NHL. Here we have a guy with such great potential that we have a chance to develop properly.
  • I think that what he has earned to date is to move up to the top of the Sabres prospect list at forward. I think he has earned top line duties in Rochester where he can learn the North American style of play, he can get the big minutes at crucial times, power play, PK, end of periods and games, OT, and come out being a guy who is completely ready for the next level.
  • He's more than just a guy who has shown well in the preseason against mixed competition so he deserves a look, as that look could cost us another player as we would need to waive someone to make room for him.
  • In the end - I think he has earned the privilege of being developed properly. I hope that Sabres Management recognizes this because I fear another botched player development a la Grigorenko, Girgensons, Nylander, etc

Last edited:

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
Yeah i think rochester is likely but gotta give him the taste first, just so he knows and he earned it !

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
I’m hopeful, just picked him up with my second to last pick in a keeper league.
Nine game try-out seems like the way to go. I understand not wanting to throw him in the deep end, but if he’s earned a shot, then see how he does. He seems well-adjusted and if it’s a step too far, and he sees he has work to do to stay in the NHL, I reckon he’ll put in the work to come back and stay.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
It's a smart move and unless he sucks in Rochester, I think he gets at least 25 games in Buffalo

Why should he suck. The level in Rochester is similar to his former team Munich. The only big difference is the smaller rink. But it didnt look like as a issue for him in preseason.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Optimistically, they’ve ironed out what they want to see from him in Rochester, Granato’s comments seemed fairly straightforward so hopefully that was made clear to JJ as well. I guess we’ll find out if he seems despondent or sullen about the assignment.

And pessimistically, they made the easy move despite how well he’s played in preseason while keeping some non-contributors like Eakin around.

Reactions: Fezzy126

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I think it's the right move. He definitely earned NHL time, but I don't think it's best for his development. Let him be a stud for at least a couple of months in Roch, then bring him up. My guess is that either he'll get called up as an injury replacement or after dominating the A for a bit, and he probably won't go back down.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I think it's the right move. He definitely earned NHL time, but I don't think it's best for his development. Let him be a stud for at least a couple of months in Roch, then bring him up. My guess is that either he'll get called up as an injury replacement or after dominating the A for a bit, and he probably won't go back down.
Agreed. Hopefully he just kills it wherever he is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad