Player Discussion John-Jason (JJ) Peterka, RW (34th overall, 2020) -- Signed to ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
What's your opinion on where he should start? I think Rochester should be the start, and to the big club if his play there warrants moving up.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
If JJ gets a few games to start with the big club that’s okay with me

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
He’s signed by The Sabres and would go to Rochester. No 9 game audition needed, right?

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I believe that tenth game would trigger his ELC, effectively burning a year.

Wouldn't playing in the AHL burn a year of his ELC anyway? Enough pro games in North America would, I believe. EDIT: The ability to "slide" his ELC happens, again I believe, only if he is returned to Germany.

Also, Cap Friendly shows Peterka listed as "on Loan" from his team in Germany. Similar to Routsalainen a few seasons ago is it an issue of his either making the big club or having to go back to Germany?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Wouldn't playing in the AHL burn a year of his ELC anyway? Enough pro games in North America would, I believe. EDIT: The ability to "slide" his ELC happens, again I believe, only if he is returned to Germany.

Also, Cap Friendly shows Peterka listed as "on Loan" from his team in Germany. Similar to Routsalainen a few seasons ago is it an issue of his either making the big club or having to go back to Germany?
The reason his contract is eligible to slide is because he was a teenager when he signed it. The only reason it wouldn’t slide is if he played 10 games in the NHL. Games in the AHL wouldn’t matter.

From Capfriendly

What is an Entry Level Slide?

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Players who sign at 18 years old are eligible to have their contracted extended for 2 seasons. This extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 in his signing year. Signing bonuses do not slide, and are paid to the player regardless of a slide, this causes the annual average of the players contract to change, and therefore the cap hit decreases for this player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ehran and Chainshot

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
A common refrain round these parts is player development.

How bout at least 20 games at 20 minutes a night in Rochester?

I'm positive he will be on the roster by the trade deadline. Why rush things before that?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
A common refrain round these parts is player development.

How bout at least 20 games at 20 minutes a night in Rochester?

I'm positive he will be on the roster by the trade deadline. Why rush things before that?

It's not rushing him if he's earned it. He's earned it with his preseason play. Give him 9 games and see how it goes.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
You have an obligation (as an organization) to reward that camp and preseason. Crushing for a kid to get sent down when he has earned and audition.

Reactions: Reddawg

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Making the Sabres roster isn't the highest of bars.

If playing in the AHL for 40 games won't do Peterka any good, I guess its fine. Development schmevelopment.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Every player is unique, I get that.

In the past 12 years, what instances of crushing a kids spirit by keeping him off the NHL roster do we have. Besides Pilut, who wasn't exactly a kid.

Not to stereotype, but Draisaitl handled extra development just fine. Dont know why we are assuming Peterka will cry in das Cheerios if he spends some time Rochester.

But I will defer to the coaches on this one. Maybe the AHL is a waste of time for the kid.

Reactions: Rasmus Reichel

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Making the Sabres roster isn't the highest of bars.

If playing in the AHL for 40 games won't do Peterka any good, I guess its fine. Development schmevelopment.
He’s played at least two years of pro hockey with men already, and that matters

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
So it's my birthday weekend celebrations and although I've had many a fine IPAs and watched the sabres well after the game finished, I'll say this. JJ deserves a spot. In an organisation where mediocrity is acceptable he damn sure earned spot over most on the roster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad