Value of: John Gibson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Posted this offer on the Oilers board:

1st + Holloway + Skinner

Would this be enough for Anaheim to deal him to a divisional rival?

Koskinen would have to go back for cap but his deal expires at the end of this year.
I would swap Bourgault for Holloway since he matches both the ducks/oilers timeline a bit better. Both are great prospects.

Reactions: Macheteops

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Name your price that isn't Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Mercer.

Everything else is available for Gibson. You want a Hamilton? I'll give you a Hamilton.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Not a fan of either team but off the top of my head a trade around Samsonov++ for Gibson would make a lot of sense for both sides

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
If the centerpiece is another goalie then the Ducks have no reason to make the trade.

I disagree. If the Ducks get a competent goaltender who is younger than Gibson then I think they could work with that.

Also, I don't think Samsonov would be the centerpiece, the ++ would.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I disagree. If the Ducks get a competent goaltender who is younger than Gibson then I think they could work with that.

What other than Hendrix Lapierre could they really offer though?

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

They have a competent NHL goalie in Stolarz and they have the heir apparent in Dostal. There is no need for a goalie to be the centerpiece. They are better off just keeping Gibson.

The Caps dont have anything that would really be the centerpiece for me. Lapierre + 1st + Samsonov? Maybe if the 1st if unprotected. Even then, I feel like Edmonton could offer a better centerpiece like Holloway.

Tempting but really shouldn't move Hughes.

Give in to temptation.

Reactions: capazzo

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
The Ducks are able to take back basically any salary depending on the return.

what would the offer be?

Samsonov+Kempny+Hagelin+Alexeyev/Johansen/AJF/Leason/1st

It could be really tough one to pull off unless Anaheim is into our prospects not named Lapierre or McMichael and maybe Protas.

Maybe the Caps include those of Anaheim retains.

Personally I’d rather not trade Eller but other fans might disagree.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Boucher (10th overall last year)
Brannstrom
Jarventie
~39th overall

Drawback: Matt Murray is included too

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Boucher (10th overall last year)
Brannstrom
Jarventie
~39th overall

Drawback: Matt Murray is included too

How about your 1st instead of Boucher. Right now it’s 7th overall. It’s only a difference between 7 and 10 right ;)

On a serious note though, if the Ducks are taking back Matt Murray then this isn’t even close for me.

That’s a 6mil + cap dump for 2 more years is something no one is going to touch.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
How about your 1st instead of Boucher. Right now it’s 7th overall. It’s only a difference between 7 and 10 right ;)

On a serious note though, if the Ducks are taking back Matt Murray then this isn’t even close for me.

That’s a 6mil + cap dump for 2 more years is something no one is going to touch.

If the Ducks are trading Gibson and going full rebuild, why would taking back Murray even matter?

As for the 7th overall... Nah

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
From the leafs id go all in on Lindholm and Gibson if we knew we could resign Lindholm.

To
Toronto
Gibson
Lindholm

To
Anaheim
Sandin
Knies
2022 1st
2023 1st
2024 2nd
Kerfoot
Mrazek

saskduckfan

Mar 20, 2016
From the leafs id go all in on Lindholm and Gibson if we knew we could resign Lindholm.

To
Toronto
Gibson
Lindholm

To
Anaheim
Sandin
Knies
2022 1st
2023 1st
2024 2nd
Kerfoot
Mrazek

Terrible offer. So the Leafs add $11.6M to the salary cap and move out only $8.4M. Cap doesnt work. On top of it, you take the two best players for the Ducks in exchange you offer spare parts and Sandin. History has shown in years past in order for the Leafs to dump salary, they have had to include a 1st round pick (Marleau). So one first is the cost just get the Ducks to take Kerfoot, who they have no use for or want. Mrazek is still signed for another 2 years after this one and is not a replacement for Gibson. Seriously the offer you put forward is like Duck fans making up an offer of:

To Ducks
Matthews
Marner

To Leafs
2022 1st
2023 1st
2024 2nd
Zellwenger
Perrault
Steel
Stolarz

(Not a serious offer, but comparing a two best players for spare parts trade)

That would be a similar two best players for picks and spare parts. The only difference is the Ducks picks would probably be much higher then the Leafs picks. If you want Gibson and Lindholm both, you are looking at sending back Nylander at a starting point. Not only for value, but making the cap work.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
If the Ducks are trading Gibson and going full rebuild, why would taking back Murray even matter?

As for the 7th overall... Nah

By that logic why dont you just send us all of your cap dumps. We are here to help you after all....

It isn't that taking Murray would not be possible for the Ducks, it's that the value in your offer is not good and it is TERRIBLE when you take into account that the Ducks would be taking one of the biggest cap dumps in recent memory.
Actually has there ever been a cap dump that large? 6.25 mil cap hit for 2 more years, and 15 million due in salary in those 2 years.

If the Ducks are trading Gibson and taking back Murray then your offer is laughable.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Terrible offer. So the Leafs add $11.6M to the salary cap and move out only $8.4M. Cap doesnt work. On top of it, you take the two best players for the Ducks in exchange you offer spare parts and Sandin. History has shown in years past in order for the Leafs to dump salary, they have had to include a 1st round pick (Marleau). So one first is the cost just get the Ducks to take Kerfoot, who they have no use for or want. Mrazek is still signed for another 2 years after this one and is not a replacement for Gibson. Seriously the offer you put forward is like Duck fans making up an offer of:

To Ducks
Matthews
Marner

To Leafs
2022 1st
2023 1st
2024 2nd
Zellwenger
Perrault
Steel
Stolarz

(Not a serious offer, but comparing a two best players for spare parts trade)

That would be a similar two best players for picks and spare parts. The only difference is the Ducks picks would probably be much higher then the Leafs picks. If you want Gibson and Lindholm both, you are looking at sending back Nylander at a starting point. Not only for value, but making the cap work.

Not to get too deep into this, but I don't actually think their offer was that bad.
If the Ducks trade Gibson and Lindholm it is basically forcing a rebuild and the ask would be futures, which that is. Your comparison is futures to a team trying to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad