Value of: John Gibson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Is that even possible even if the Ducks retain 50% on Lindholm and Rakell?

If they retained and took on Koskinen and/or Barrie, I think they could make it work.

No idea what the Ducks would want in return that would be a realistic ask, but man oh man the Oilers would be the favourites to win the cup I would think.

Edit: I'll do the math. Gimme a few mins
See below

Koskinen - 4.500
Barrie - 4.500
Turris - 1.650
Total: 10.650

Gibson - 6.400
Lindholm @50% - 2.603
Rakell @50% - 1.895
Total: 10.898

There are many other options once value is considered (like sending Yamamoto to the Ducks for example), but this is one way the cap would work.

Please note I am not "proposing" this as a trade. Obviously the Oilers add BIG time. This was just to see if they could make the cap work, that's all.

Last edited:

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
A late 1st
A okay to solid goalie prospect
A good prospect
A cap dump ?

are you just expecting Anaheim to give up their best player for nothing ? Specially to a division rival
Halloway is not just “a good prospect”. And Koskinen for 3 months is hardly an issue.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Halloway is not just “a good prospect”. And Koskinen for 3 months is hardly an issue.
We’re not taking koskinen for anything other than to facilitate the trade… he’s a - value to us.

and are we going to argue good prospect as talking down on Holloway? He’s in a similar range of perreault and Tracey

but if it makes you feel better we can add steel

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Nvm lock this up I rather keep him and let him expire than trade for him this shit... Especially in the divison.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
Easy no....Come back to earth when u do give us a call...All honesty why would u trade him ....

Yeah Holtz + the 1st would be too much. If we're moving Gibson I'd aim for the Schneider deal as a comparable + a little extra. Would Wood + the 1st (top 3 protected) be too much?

ManByng

Oilers cup 2025
Aug 4, 2009
Reykjavik, Iceland
What do you expect to pay?
Anything less than that offer would be offensive

With the Oilers needing to get to the playoffs and hopefully get past the 1st round, they won’t be giving up core players to get Gibson if he were to become available. Guys like Skinner, Broberg and the Oilers 1st rounder would realistically be the starting point.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I’d say start with Holtz & unprotected 2022 1st?
You know Gibson hasn't had good numbers in like 5-6 years, right?

I know, "but look at the team." Still, asking for an unprotected first on a bottom team seems about 2x the overpayment.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
You know Gibson hasn't had good numbers in like 5-6 years, right?

I know, "but look at the team." Still, asking for an unprotected first on a bottom team seems about 2x the overpayment.

It's bad enough when people just base their opinions only from stats, but couldn't you at least look at the stats before doing so? It definitely has not been "5-6 years" of bad numbers. Three down seasons behind an awful team.

The talent is undeniable to those who actually watch the games. There isn't a goalie in the league who could prop up the rosters that the Ducks have been icing the past three or four years. It's clear that he both mentally and physically wears down, and just doesn't always have the motivation to try and make a 5-1 loss into a 2-1 loss.

Up until the point that the Ducks cratered, Gibson had some of the best career numbers of all time. His talent hasn't gone anywhere, there shouldn't be much doubt about his ability to perform in front of a good team.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
It's bad enough when people just base their opinions only from stats, but couldn't you at least look at the stats before doing so? It definitely has not been "5-6 years" of bad numbers. Three down seasons behind an awful team.

The talent is undeniable to those who actually watch the games. There isn't a goalie in the league who could prop up the rosters that the Ducks have been icing the past three or four years. It's clear that he both mentally and physically wears down, and just doesn't always have the motivation to try and make a 5-1 loss into a 2-1 loss.

Up until the point that the Ducks cratered, Gibson had some of the best career numbers of all time. His talent hasn't gone anywhere, there shouldn't be much doubt about his ability to perform in front of a good team.
Ok, I just looked it up and it's been 4 as I'm including this season. So, no, not 3, and not 5-6. The 5th season his goals against weren't what you expect from him but his save percentage was really strong, so you're right that the 5th season shouldn't count against him being a down season. And I get that the team in front of him wasn't strong, but the unprotected 1st ask from a bottom team is a really big overpayment. He's at 0 goals saved above expected this season. How's that even possible from Gibson?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad