Value of: John Gibson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I'll take RNH+ We need a semi young veteran center to take Getzlaf spot next season.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
I'll take RNH+ We need a semi young veteran center to take Getzlaf spot next season.
I think if you trade Gibson you might as well just go full rebuild and trade strictly for prospects and picks. There is no reason to get anyone over 25 if you lose Lindholm AND Gibson because it's going to be a pretty long time before you're a contender and when you are, the 28 year old you traded for is 35 and you can't afford him because you gotta pay your elite players like zegras / Drysdale / Terry.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I think if you trade Gibson you might as well just go full rebuild and trade strictly for prospects and picks. There is no reason to get anyone over 25 if you lose Lindholm AND Gibson because it's going to be a pretty long time before you're a contender and when you are, the 28 year old you traded for is 35 and you can't afford him because you gotta pay your elite players like zegras / Drysdale / Terry.

Losing Gibson alone is not indicative of a full rebuild. The ducks have goalie depth and there are always league average goalies available. Gibson is better than that, but not so much better that it triggers a rebuild. Stolarz has been solid and Dostel is on the way (not to mention whatever goaltender(s) might come to the ducks in the trade).

Losing Lindholm is a much bigger issue. Harder to replace his contributions IMO.

Reactions: bsu

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
So you want to develop kids with no insolation like the Oilers before hitting the lotto with McDavid and Drai, Arizona (currently) and Buffalo? I'm good on that.

The Ducks are not going into next season with Zegras, Lundestrom and McTavish as their centers that is completely idiotic.

HFBoards might think a team full of young players could figure it out but luckily most organizations aren't that naïve. All the well run teams have a mixture because you cannot develop young talent in LOSER environments with no one else to lean on that's how you get busts and players that never reach their max potential.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

Hard f***ing pass.

I don't have a problem with getting a 28 year old top 6 center as a centerpiece. I just don't think RNH is that guy. Look at his point breakdown for the past 4 seasons.
42.5% of his points come from the PP. He only has 110 EVP in 244 games. For reference Rakell has 102 EVP in 232 games.

Do you really want to trade Gibson for a center that is basically Rakell at ES over the past 4 seasons?

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

saskduckfan

Mar 20, 2016
Love the Leafs fans on here. Telling me I'm on something saying the Oilers offer of Holloway, Skinner, 1st is for Gibson and Steel is better then what they offered for Gibson and Lindholm. It is better. It would address to issues for the Ducks, more offensive player prospect coming back and solid goalie prospect. What does the Leafs offer do? Gives them 2 years of Mrazek, who is awful, and Kerfoot, who is also awful and overpaid, and a bunch of late 1st and 2nd picks. Players the Ducks have no need for, then a bunch of picks. There is nothing in that Leafs offer that the Ducks would require besides Sandin. At least the Oilers offer would be a higher 1st or mid 1st.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Hard f***ing pass.

I don't have a problem with getting a 28 year old top 6 center as a centerpiece. I just don't think RNH is that guy. Look at his point breakdown for the past 4 seasons.
42.5% of his points come from the PP. He only has 110 EVP in 244 games. For reference Rakell has 102 EVP in 232 games.

Do you really want to trade Gibson for a center that is basically Rakell at ES over the past 4 seasons?
Rakell may score the same but RNH does a lot of things better and he's a center, so yes. Rakell is a floating turd. RNH contract is only 5.15 cap hit. He's not on the top of my want list but he would help insulate and contribute and we are in need of a veteran center so we aren't throwing the kids to the wolves.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Rakell may score the same but RNH does a lot of things better and he's a center, so yes. Rakell is a floating turd. RNH contract is only 5.15 cap hit. He's not on the top of my want list but he would help insulate and contribute and we are in need of a veteran center so we aren't throwing the kids to the wolves.

He just isn't who I want to move Gibson for. I want upside if they are trading their franchise player.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
He just isn't who I want to move Gibson for. I want upside if they are trading their franchise player.
Agreed, if he was involved he would be a 1B piece.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Hard f***ing pass.

RNH's even strength production has not been great lately, but it's mostly only been the last two seasons when used at wing with Drai/McD.

When he's at C and expected to stir the drink, his scoring at EV has been much higher. He's pretty routinely put up 15-20 goals at EV.

He's also an exceptional penalty killer and... since PP production still matters.... his PP production/60 numbers are like top 20 in history, and that includes his time playing as the QB with Hall and Eberle, so it isn't a McDrai effect.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
The Oilers offer of a 1st, Holloway, and Skinner is better then anything offered by a Leafs fan.
How are the Oilers fitting Gibson in with no cap room? I mean if we aren’t worrying about being cap compliant, then you can take Kerfoot/Mrazek out of the Leafs offer….

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
In fairness, it was RNH+.

Oilers wouldn't trade Nuge anyway so there's not much point in asking further.
That guy follows me to every thread and takes everything I say out of context because I ignored him and called him out on Terry since he thought he would amount to nothing and all he did was bad mouth him saying was going to be a career AHL player... literally just ignore him. Obviously RNH wouldn't be the main solo piece coming back for a top 3 goalie in the league it's common sense.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Losing Gibson alone is not indicative of a full rebuild. The ducks have goalie depth and there are always league average goalies available. Gibson is better than that, but not so much better that it triggers a rebuild. Stolarz has been solid and Dostel is on the way (not to mention whatever goaltender(s) might come to the ducks in the trade).

Losing Lindholm is a much bigger issue. Harder to replace his contributions IMO.
The ducks don't have any proven goalie depth and won't receive any in a trade (if any team had a proven goalie, why would they need one?) Lindholm is harder to replace but it'll be even worse if you get rid of a top 5 goalie in the league...

Dostel is unproven, so relying on him to be the guy before hes even ready is putting way too much pressure on him and could hurt his development. Assuming he develops into a good goalie, it could be 5-6 years before we see the fruits of that development. Why would you trade for RNH? He'd be be in his mid 30s by then and he's hardly an elite talent that is guaranteed to aged gracefully like a Crosby or Ovechkin.

Stolarz has had a good year but hes not someone I'd want as a starter yet... Lets examine his numbers.

All of his wins were against:

Coyotes - A team in a rebuild.
Sens - A team in a rebuild.
Knights - A good team but they won 6-5..
Sabres - A team in a rebuild
Blues - A good team but they were missing 2 of their top 5 scorers.
Kraken - A team in a rebuild.
Canadiens - A team in a rebuild.
Sharks - A team in a rebuild.

Hes having a good year as a backup but he is a backup and there is no way to really tell how he'd be taking over the starting job. Gibson is the kind of guy who can play a team like Colorado and face 40 shots and only let in one goal. This is not someone you can replace with backups or trade deadline goalie fodder. If it was, people would be a lot more confident about the Leafs, Oilers and Avs playoff chances.
So you want to develop kids with no insolation like the Oilers before hitting the lotto with McDavid and Drai, Arizona (currently) and Buffalo? I'm good on that.

The Ducks are not going into next season with Zegras, Lundestrom and McTavish as their centers that is completely idiotic.

HFBoards might think a team full of young players could figure it out but luckily most organizations aren't that naïve. All the well run teams have a mixture because you cannot develop young talent in LOSER environments with no one else to lean on that's how you get busts and players that never reach their max potential.
I'm assuming the Ducks will actually patriciate in free agency this year, but I can see why you'd be worried that they wouldn't.

KHL is likely going to be losing a ton of players and the free agent class for centers isn't terrible (the Ducks also have Henrique signed to that unmovable contract, so he'll be around)

Personally, I'd rather the Ducks just finally patriciate in the free agency than trading a way their franchise goalie for a guy with less goals than Sam Carrick.

If you trade Gibsion, you should go after someone like Evan Bouchard, the problem is the Oilers rightfully won't trade Bouchard... so you might as well keep Gibson because hes someone who will keep the team in playoff talks and that means a lot to guys like Hampus Lindholm / other possible F/A signings who want to win a championship.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
The ducks don't have any proven goalie depth and won't receive any in a trade (if any team had a proven goalie, why would they need one?) Lindholm is harder to replace but it'll be even worse if you get rid of a top 5 goalie in the league...

Dostel is unproven, so relying on him to be the guy before hes even ready is putting way too much pressure on him and could hurt his development. Assuming he develops into a good goalie, it could be 5-6 years before we see the fruits of that development. Why would you trade for RNH? He'd be be in his mid 30s by then and he's hardly an elite talent that is guaranteed to aged gracefully like a Crosby or Ovechkin.

Stolarz has had a good year but hes not someone I'd want as a starter yet... Lets examine his numbers.

All of his wins were against:

Coyotes - A team in a rebuild.
Sens - A team in a rebuild.
Knights - A good team but they won 6-5..
Sabres - A team in a rebuild
Blues - A good team but they were missing 2 of their top 5 scorers.
Kraken - A team in a rebuild.
Canadiens - A team in a rebuild.
Sharks - A team in a rebuild.

Hes having a good year as a backup but he is a backup and there is no way to really tell how he'd be taking over the starting job. Gibson is the kind of guy who can play a team like Colorado and face 40 shots and only let in one goal. This is not someone you can replace with backups or trade deadline goalie fodder. If it was, people would be a lot more confident about the Leafs, Oilers and Avs playoff chances.

I'm assuming the Ducks will actually patriciate in free agency this year, but I can see why you'd be worried that they wouldn't.

KHL is likely going to be losing a ton of players and the free agent class for centers isn't terrible (the Ducks also have Henrique signed to that unmovable contract, so he'll be around)

Personally, I'd rather the Ducks just finally patriciate in the free agency than trading a way their franchise goalie for a guy with less goals than Sam Carrick.

If you trade Gibsion, you should go after someone like Evan Bouchard, the problem is the Oilers rightfully won't trade Bouchard... so you might as well keep Gibson because hes someone who will keep the team in playoff talks and that means a lot to guys like Hampus Lindholm / other possible F/A signings who want to win a championship.
I never said RNH would be the main piece, I said RNH+ because he would be part of the package. He would be a 2nd piece. I highly doubt Oilers trade RNH and I highly doubt we trade Gibson to the Oilers, it's just discussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad