Player Discussion Joe Morrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Seems to be a number of people very frustrated with treatment of Morrow.

For those that are upset, I'm wondering if Morrow was managed exactly how you'd like, what do you think his reasonable slot would be. I'm assuming given the strength of feelings around here, some think he'd be a first pairing?

I thought Morrow looked great when he was paired with C.Miller right before he sat for quite a few games. I don't know if they had more minutes than say McQuaid-Krug that game but it wouldn't suprise me if they did.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
What Morrow did as a kid, how he played and practiced, has no relavence. The NHL game is much different. Before Morrow sat he was playing great.

Mistakes ike today's is magnified in a badly played game by the whole team. Bruins management might decide that they have seen enough. I still think Morrow has the tools but he needs to play more.

I agree,this is no way for a kid to develop. It's one thing for a vet to be handled that way and another with a kid who has yet to ever feel comfortable,and playing defense for this guy.

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
I honestly don't think the drop off between Liles n Morrow is all that much

Liles...he is done with NHL soon enough, he is what he is...not developing any more...has yet to even score a goal as a Bruin.

Morrow..well..he has a few warts, decision making, reading plays on when to pinch, net front presence. He has a solid skillset, skates well can handle the puck. I'd rather see for sure, one last time, what we have in Joe Morrow. He needs icetime..young D NEED to play and actively make mistakes and learn from those mistakes. Carlo does a good job with that.

I'm prepared for some major growing pains if Joe Morrow stays in the line up...that's probably just a reality.

But if the bruins miss the playoffs, it wont be because we decided to sub in Morrow for Liles for the next 25-30 games. Bruins got a long list of problems.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The handling of Morrow the past two seasons has been atrocious and downright incompetent. He has demonstrated he can play good hockey when he has had the chance this year. Bringing him in after sitting him for a month then wondering why he makes some bad plays is silly.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com

Liles...he is done with NHL soon enough, he is what he is...not developing any more...has yet to even score a goal as a Bruin.

Morrow..well..he has a few warts, decision making, reading plays on when to pinch, net front presence. He has a solid skillset, skates well can handle the puck. I'd rather see for sure, one last time, what we have in Joe Morrow. He needs icetime..young D NEED to play and actively make mistakes and learn from those mistakes. Carlo does a good job with that.

I'm prepared for some major growing pains if Joe Morrow stays in the line up...that's probably just a reality.

But if the bruins miss the playoffs, it wont be because we decided to sub in Morrow for Liles for the next 25-30 games. Bruins got a long list of problems.

Well said. Also if Morrow had made today's mistakes, having just played the previous 10 games, I would be in agreement that Morrow should be finished with Boston.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary

You can probably trade Liles as insurance to another nhl team as an 8th d for playoffs. Well maybe.

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
You can probably trade Liles as insurance to another nhl team as an 8th d for playoffs. Well maybe.

that would be nice, I don't hate Liles..it's just..we know what he is at this point.

There is still some small part of me that is holding out hope Morrow can put it all together and still become something..he really was looking alright in a stretch of games before his first scratching.

I want to believe in the kid, I liked watching him in Providence.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
The handling of Morrow the past two seasons has been atrocious and downright incompetent. He has demonstrated he can play good hockey when he has had the chance this year. Bringing him in after sitting him for a month then wondering why he makes some bad plays is silly.

Totally agree. Just that for some, a glaring mistake like today's, stands out more in a terrible loss. Just compounds a feeling about the Bruins overall D.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Morrow looked good again. Skates well. Has skills. Can pass.

Give me these types of D any day over the K.Miller of the world and their high glass/into the skates/icing type of breakouts.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The Brass must see something in Morrow if they continue to keep him rather than chance losing him to the waiver wire by sending him down. He really is stuck in a bad place.

His coach doesn't want to play him.

Management don't want to hurt their depth on D.

So Morrow gets to collect an NHL paycheque to watch NHL games from above.

One thing clear to me now, whether it's Morrow in Boston, or Corrado in Toronto, carrying 8 D-men doesn't really work. Sure it's fine for morning skates and practices having a 4th D-pair, rather than having to work the extra guy into the 3rd pair.

But the 8th guy simply sits waaaaayyyyy too long to even have a chance to be effective if/when he finally gets back in.

Ideally to me you roll with 7 D and injuries aside, rotate that 6th and 7th guy every 5-6 games or so. No sitting for months on end without actual game action.

If the Bruins had been on some big wining streak I could understand rolling the same group game after game. Meanwhile unless your name is Colin or Joe, the only way your a D whose coming out of the line-up is via injury, which to me when your team is up and down, is poor management of a player(s) by the coaching staff.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
What Morrow did as a kid, how he played and practiced, has no relavence. The NHL game is much different. Before Morrow sat he was playing great.

Mistakes ike today's is magnified in a badly played game by the whole team. Bruins management might decide that they have seen enough. I still think Morrow has the tools but he needs to play more.

"playing great"? I`m sorry, not even close to watching the same games

Brucentric*

Dec 9, 2016

Give me these types of D any day over the K.Miller of the world and their high glass/into the skates/icing type of breakouts.

I know. You can just see his talent. His shot is low and hard on net, He has touch on his passes, He see's the ice well. I dont get what they are seeing that they dont like. Makes no sense. Let him play he is a top D man. No doubt.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
I know. You can just see his talent. His shot is low and hard on net, He has touch on his passes, He see's the ice well. I dont get what they are seeing that they dont like. Makes no sense. Let him play he is a top D man. No doubt.

Good skater, nice shot, very low hockey IQ, decision making is consistenly terrible. His skating compensates for some of that but no where near enough. He is a tweener.

Brucentric*

Dec 9, 2016
Good skater, nice shot, very low hockey IQ, decision making is consistenly terrible. His skating compensates for some of that but no where near enough. He is a tweener.

Not a chance. Low IQ. Thats ridiculous. I have seen quite the opposite. Keeping the puc wide on the boards and a solid pass out of the zone. He is a top 4 dman waiting to happen.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Not a chance. Low IQ. Thats ridiculous. I have seen quite the opposite. Keeping the puc wide on the boards and a solid pass out of the zone. He is a top 4 dman waiting to happen.

I disagree.

Never been a huge Morrow guy and if I had one spot available it would go to Chiller and not him. That being said, I agree with the sentiment that the handling of he (and Colin Miller) has not been beneficial for their development as players. I also agree that both of those guys should be in the lineup before a guy like Liles.

Management signed Miller to a 2 year deal and Morrow to a one year deal. I suspect that is the order in which they value these two. Management doesn't make the lineup decisions. That's the coach's job.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I don't see low IQ either,I see panic,inexperience,fear and little confidence. A month ago he put together a couple of games where it looked like his confidence was growing and then for no valid reason was benched for a month. There is no way to judge a 60 game experience young defenseman who plays 2 or 3 or 1 game here and there. How far out would the Bs be if Morrow and Miller played every game? Noone knows,but we'd have a much better idea of who they might become. Do them a favor and let them develop in Colorado or somewhere. The handling of these 2 is an abysmal failure.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I disagree.

Never been a huge Morrow guy and if I had one spot available it would go to Chiller and not him. That being said, I agree with the sentiment that the handling of he (and Colin Miller) has not been beneficial for their development as players. I also agree that both of those guys should be in the lineup before a guy like Liles.

Management signed Miller to a 2 year deal and Morrow to a one year deal. I suspect that is the order in which they value these two. Management doesn't make the lineup decisions. That's the coach's job.

They play two different sides.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Agree with this 150%. I just don't see why this kid (and Colin Miller) can't seem to dress with any regularity on this roster. Especially with an incredibly thin and suspect d core.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
His coach doesn't want to play him.

Management don't want to hurt their depth on D.

So Morrow gets to collect an NHL paycheque to watch NHL games from above.

One thing clear to me now, whether it's Morrow in Boston, or Corrado in Toronto, carrying 8 D-men doesn't really work. Sure it's fine for morning skates and practices having a 4th D-pair, rather than having to work the extra guy into the 3rd pair.

But the 8th guy simply sits waaaaayyyyy too long to even have a chance to be effective if/when he finally gets back in.

Ideally to me you roll with 7 D and injuries aside, rotate that 6th and 7th guy every 5-6 games or so. No sitting for months on end without actual game action.

If the Bruins had been on some big wining streak I could understand rolling the same group game after game. Meanwhile unless your name is Colin or Joe, the only way your a D whose coming out of the line-up is via injury, which to me when your team is up and down, is poor management of a player(s) by the coaching staff.

Nothing to do with a GM re-signing repetitive #4/#5 dmen to long-term deals, on top of JM Liles just this past offseason???

Again, people always blame the coach, but if the GM shared these concerns about the kids sitting too long and the GM felt Morrow and Chiller could/should play, then the GM didn't have to sign all these guys. He had a choice and he made it. And on the flip side, if you were the coach how comfortable would you feel sitting the guys your boss just signed? In every other organization we acknowledge a pressure for coaches/managers to play guys their management team acquired, but just because we have a stigma attached to this particular coach, we decide to flip that narrative on its head to suit our position.

The roster is mostly on the GM. He should bear most of the blame if it has gaping holes, way too much depth in some spots, slows growth of youngsters, etc. These things are mostly on Sweeney. If Morrow or anyone else is being wronged here, it's his fault. He's the player development expert...maybe he can step up. IF, of course, you think they're being wronged. I don't share that position because I don't think those players are all that great, but I would rather see them playing than the guys our GM insists on keeping.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Well aware of that, but both Colin and Kevan have played the left side this year at times. If we are talking specifically about certain sides, I prefer Chiller to McQ and Killer and O'Gara to Morrow or Liles.

Agreed except O'Gara. He looked overmatched to me. I think that's a big stretch to say he ought to play over Morrow or Liles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad