Player Discussion Joe Morrow

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yeah, and? Take a guy like Krug as an example. When did he get a real chance? You think there's just random coincidence that a guy like McQuaid got more of a shot than a guy like Morrow? Or that a guy like Wade "I haven't been in the league in 3 years, yet here I am dressing in the playoffs for Boston" Redden gets time over a guy like Krug?

The big question is if you even realize the bias or not. I have to believe you don't even see it, but man is it there.

You are correct, I do not see it. Unless you are talking about your own bias toward the coach.

McQuaid did not play a game in the NHL until he was 23, three full seasons in Providence. He played a regular shift on a Stanley Cup winning team when he was 24. He didn't get any more of a shot than Morrow. He just happened to earn his spot.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
the 3rd Flyers goal (think it was Simmonds), Quaider lost, almost as though he didn`t know or see Simmonds literally standing right behind him.

The B's were down 2 men. There's a whole lot of ice to cover for 3 guys. Watch the replay, the pass hits a skate and went perfectly to Simmonds. McQuaid and Tuukka both seemed to react as if the pass was going out to the point.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I just think that the only reason Morrow hasn't been moved yet is because management values him much higher than does Julien.
Clode certainly prefers the guys that bring the snarl. Case in point, Zachary Trotman. As one former Bruin said of him "...has body like Tarzan, plays like Jane."

I love that comment :laugh::laugh::laugh:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Miller more physical and while it ain`t sexy, I`ll try and lay out my reasoning for why CJ and his staff would prefer Miller in over Morrow. For one, yes, Morrow can break the puck out quicker, hardly an argument there however, unless he has time, rarily do I see Morrow`s feet getting he and his teammates out of trouble. Far too often he`ll take that puck and fire it around the boards without so much of a look to see what`s out there (now, to be fair, there isn`t a D-man out there who hasn`t done this but..)

Whereas with Miller, I have seen him on numerous occasions eating the puck, hugging the boards with the puck rather than try and force it through bodies or hammering it around the boards. Miller and Quaider, for the most part, don`t exactly throw out the welcome mat to opponents to come and camp in front of the net, Morrow and C Miller, bring little to sway opponents

Now, I`m on the record that I go with mobility 8 days a week and would welcome both of C Miller and Morrow in the lineup game in and out. That said, I know with those two in there, mistakes will happen, and the odds are, IMO, those mistakes will end up in the back of the net too often.

Pro coaches don`t coach for the future, it`s not their job, their job is to win now, and CJ is no different, potentially more risk averse than other coaches but I would hazard a guess that if we had a panel of all NHL coaches and presented them a scenario where you have a vet and a kid/younger prospect available and you have a spot to fill, on a team literally fighting for their playoff lives game in and out, they would all play the vet unless it`s a team like the Leafs who are going young, warts and all

Stop making sense people don't like it when you do that :sarcasm::laugh:

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
my guess right now is they are playing Liles to move him, my thought process has me thinking they want to move him by the deadline to a team who are looking for a guy who won`t eat a ton of minutes, but can help on their PP in the playoffs.

Liles mistake cost them the point the other night but had the Bruins found a way to convert one of the many chances prior to it, it wouldn`t have mattered.

If Morrow was light years better than Liles, I`d agree, but he isn`t and I`m not so sure opposing teams are lined up to acquire him. I think too many here over rate him.

Im not over rating him. I don't think he's light years better. I thought he played well during his play at the begining. Look how Colin has developed. I just see a half a season of up and down play. Why not change it up. Mistakes are ending up in there net anyways. Of course teams aren't lining up to get him. Acquiring a player from the rafters.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Im not over rating him. I don't think he's light years better. I thought he played well during his play at the begining. Look how Colin has developed. I just see a half a season of up and down play. Why not change it up. Mistakes are ending up in there net anyways. Of course teams aren't lining up to get him. Acquiring a player from the rafters.

You have to suffer through the ups and downs of a player's development,or he won't develop. Unfortunately,this isn't the place since they will be scratching to make the playoffs for a 1 and done.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Seems to be a number of people very frustrated with treatment of Morrow.

For those that are upset, I'm wondering if Morrow was managed exactly how you'd like, what do you think his reasonable slot would be. I'm assuming given the strength of feelings around here, some think he'd be a first pairing?

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

For those that are upset, I'm wondering if Morrow was managed exactly how you'd like, what do you think his reasonable slot would be. I'm assuming given the strength of feelings around here, some think he'd be a first pairing?

We will never know. I doubt people think that though.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Who knows? Probably 4 or 5 then nobody knows. Same with C. Miller,but the physicality of McQuaid and Miller seem more desirable.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

It's not about Morrow. It's about the organization devaluing their own assets.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It's not about Morrow. It's about the organization devaluing their own assets.

I agree, and as for Morrow, I would add to that by saying I don't know where he fits or how he projects long-term- he could be a top 2 d-man for all any of us truly know, but I do know that we will never find out as long as he sits in the press box

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I agree, and as for Morrow, I would add to that by saying I don't know where he fits or how he projects long-term- he could be a top 2 d-man for all any of us truly know, but I do know that we will never find out as long as he sits in the press box

Exactly. Could be a bum, could be a decent player. We're not going to find out though.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
My reactions while reading this post.

Yes. Seems that way.

For those that are upset,

Are people upset, or just aggravated? But no biggie, curious where this goes.

I'm wondering if Morrow was managed exactly how you'd like,

I have no idea how anyone wants him managed. Probably ask 20 people and you'll get 20 answers. I just know Liles sucks and has no future with this team, so I'd rather find out if Morrow can play.

what do you think his reasonable slot would be.

Great ****ing question. This is a solid post, and I'm curious what people say.

I'm assuming given the strength of feelings around here, some think he'd be a first pairing?

Oh for ****'s sake. NO ONE THINKS THIS.

We had a nice thing going with this post, and now we have a dead strawman lying at our feet.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
My reactions while reading this post.

Yes. Seems that way.

Great ****ing question. This is a solid post, and I'm curious what people say.

Oh for ****'s sake. NO ONE THINKS THIS.

We had a nice thing going with this post, and now we have a dead strawman lying at our feet.

Ha ha.... ok guilty as charged.

My only point was that people seem royally pissed about a guy that probably doesn't have a massive upside.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Ha ha.... ok guilty as charged.

My only point was that people seem royally pissed about a guy that probably doesn't have a massive upside.

I'll just speak for myself.

Definitely not pissed, just frustrated. And I've never been a Morrow guy, but Liles sucks. Let's try to learn a little more about Morrow, who had finally been showing something, rather than waste time on a dud with no future.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

Definitely not pissed, just frustrated. And I've never been a Morrow guy, but Liles sucks. Let's try to learn a little more about Morrow, who had finally been showing something, rather than waste time on a dud with no future.

I get you, and tend to agree.

My guess is that with KMiller now hurt we'll find out? I guess it depends on what the status of CMiller is.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014

This. He can't possibly play any worse than Liles since he's come back. I can understand to a certain extent why they used K. Miller instead of Morrow, but can't understand Liles in the slightest.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
This. He can't possibly play any worse than Liles since he's come back. I can understand to a certain extent why they used K. Miller instead of Morrow, but can't understand Liles in the slightest.

At worst maybe they should rotate every other game until one constantly out plays the other.
But as has been said Claude loves his veterans, percentages suppose less chance of a mistake.
Liles equals experience.
Morrow equals inexperience.
It's the double-edged sword.
Morrow can't get experience unless he plays. Claude needs to win games; to Claude, Liles is the safer pick to play.
Not saying I agree but at the moment that is how it is playing out.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I get mistakes hailing from lack of game action. That said, the games been the same since he was a kid and some of these plays he`s made are horrible. Great tools, no toolbox, his hockey IQ is questionable at best

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
I get mistakes hailing from lack of game action. That said, the games been the same since he was a kid and some of these plays he`s made are horrible. Great tools, no toolbox, his hockey IQ is questionable at best

What Morrow did as a kid, how he played and practiced, has no relavence. The NHL game is much different. Before Morrow sat he was playing great.

Mistakes ike today's is magnified in a badly played game by the whole team. Bruins management might decide that they have seen enough. I still think Morrow has the tools but he needs to play more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad