Prospect Info: Joakim Kemell, 17th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I'd rather him get with whoever got Duchene's game on track. That person turned water into wine.
That was coach Hynes. Forsberg's accuracy is the big difference between last season and all of the previous seasons, he used to miss so many wide open shots it was painful. He said at one point during last season that he worked with a coach on his shot so it seems logical to put a prospect that has accuracy problems in touch with the same coach, no?

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Am I understanding this incorrectly? To me it sounds like hes a sniper who picks corners as opposed to a front of the net mucker, which how I thought he was advertised.

Gonna miss the net a lot when you're shooting for a corner, but if 1 out of 5 that do find the net go in, then that's good. Just gotta make sure he gets lots of good looks.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Worth pointing out that Kemell had a 19.5% shooting percentage last season, which is quite high. One concerning stat is how many shots he missed. According to Liiga website he had 62 shots saved by goalie, 70 that missed and 28 that were blocked. That's quite a lot of shots that didn't hit the net. @Fintastic you're a JYP fan, was Kemell's accuracy better before the injury?
Kemell is a volume shooter who looks for corners, resulting into those misses. Also Liiga site gives 8,6% shooting percentage.

Reactions: bebl and Scoresberg

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Kemell is a volume shooter who looks for corners, resulting into those misses. Also Liiga site gives 8,6% shooting percentage.
That's the "all shots" shooting percentage that includes missed shots. When you go on Liiga website, select "Shots on Goal" from "Stats" box and you can see all shot data there. Kemell scored 15 goals, he had 62 shots saved by goalie, thus total amount of shots he got on net was 15+62=77. 15 goals divided by 77 shots equals 19.5% shooting percentage.

Yea, but missing over 50% of your shots is still pretty bad, I think. Was looking at Liiga's leading goal scorers, and most of them had better ability to hit the net than Kemell. For example Liiga's leading goal scorer Levtchi had 26 goals, 90 saved by goalie, 47 missed and 20 blocked. So 116 that hit the net and 67 that didn't.

Lastly, it's just not shots that missed the net. Also blocked shots too. Kemell actually among forwards had the 3rd most blocked shots (28) in entire Liiga. Gardiner (29) and Repo (29) had more. And Gardiner played 21 more games than Kemell. Repo only 1 more.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
That's the "all shots" shooting percentage that includes missed shots. When you go on Liiga website, select "Shots on Goal" from "Stats" box and you can see all shot data there. Kemell scored 15 goals, he had 62 shots saved by goalie, thus total amount of shots he got on net was 15+62=77. 15 goals divided by 77 shots equals 19.5% shooting percentage.

Yea, but missing over 50% of your shots is still pretty bad, I think. Was looking at Liiga's leading goal scorers, and most of them had better ability to hit the net than Kemell. For example Liiga's leading goal scorer Levtchi had 26 goals, 90 saved by goalie, 47 missed and 20 blocked. So 116 that hit the net and 67 that didn't.

Lastly, it's just not shots that missed the net. Also blocked shots too. Kemell actually among forwards had the 3rd most blocked shots (28) in entire Liiga. Gardiner (29) and Repo (29) had more. And Gardiner played 21 more games than Kemell. Repo only 1 more.
I see. Not interested enough to look it up, I'll take your word for it. Don't really care about this, tbh. I believe in this guy, he was really young last season and has a ton of skill. Weird season or not.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Has there been any talk of whether he'll be here for training camp and try to at least stick in the AHL or will he just stay in Liiga and let his contract slide a year?

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
That was coach Hynes. Forsberg's accuracy is the big difference between last season and all of the previous seasons, he used to miss so many wide open shots it was painful. He said at one point during last season that he worked with a coach on his shot so it seems logical to put a prospect that has accuracy problems in touch with the same coach, no?
Actually, Duchene went back to the stick length he used before he got to the Preds. I believe there was a 4" difference. For whatever reason he decided he wanted to use a shorter stick when he got here. That didn't work out well.

Oh, Forsberg and Duchene were paired together on most nights which helped both of them. It's amazing when you put great players together, you get great results.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Has there been any talk of whether he'll be here for training camp and try to at least stick in the AHL or will he just stay in Liiga and let his contract slide a year?

Whether he plays in AHL or Liiga it will slide.

With quick look around I see/find nothing on Kemell.
He has 2 years left on his liiga contract but in the end that means nothing

Fintastic

Jul 10, 2022
Worth pointing out that Kemell had a 19.5% shooting percentage last season, which is quite high. One concerning stat is how many shots he missed. According to Liiga website he had 62 shots saved by goalie, 70 that missed and 28 that were blocked. That's quite a lot of shots that didn't hit the net. @Fintastic you're a JYP fan, was Kemell's accuracy better before the injury?
Yes it was. After the injury, he kept shooting but the shots missed the net or hit the post. It wasn't until the very end of the season, he had adjusted his sights so the speak and began hitting the net again.

Reactions: Jukurit

Fintastic

Jul 10, 2022
He stated even before the draft that he wants to finish school so he'll stay for one more year in JYP. In Finland, he must also do the mandatory military service before his 28th birthday. The service is 6 months to a year, depending his service branch and if he will be selected in non-commissioned officer training. I think, if you think long teen, he should also do the military service before going over to Nashville so it won't affect his NHL career. The military service will affect his training, so if that is done, it won't hinder his training when he is ready to transition his career.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Yes it was. After the injury, he kept shooting but the shots missed the net or hit the post. It wasn't until the very end of the season, he had adjusted his sights so the speak and began hitting the net again.
Can you give a rough estimate of how many posts he hit?

Fintastic

Jul 10, 2022
Can you give a rough estimate of how many posts he hit?
LOL, the best I can recall, sometimes it was few shots per game, sometime just one in a game. He seemed like his sights had a slight misadjustment of his sights after the injury. The good thing is that he kept his head down and worked his ass off. He was good defensively even though he didn't score so often like he did in the beginning of the season.

Reactions: Jukurit

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Clicking like is difficult here. I made a face while doing it just to maintain balance.
It's not like it's the Olympics... and it's not even the actual tournament... I have no qualms about one of our prospects doing well against the USA in a completely meaningless game

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad