Prospect Info: Jett Woo, Pt. II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
It takes skill to be this bad at something for so long.

I can guarantee if you took every single CHL player and put their name in a hat, and just randomly picked at the draft, we would do better than Ron Delormes evaluations, just one decent CHL pick.

Heck just pick a CHL team at Random
walk up the microphone in the later rounds of the draft and be like

"The Vancouver canucks are proud to select any player on the Prince albert raiders that is draft eligible"

Last edited:
Reactions: timw33 and geebaan

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Unfortunately looks like yet another draft success from the draft guru.
No one ever said draft guru. Find it! Quote it!

(We just subtly indicated hes the best drafter in the world and constantly referred to any player who was good as an intelligent draft pick from Benning)...

BUT NEVER SAID IT DIRECTLY

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I have no idea if Rutherford and Allvin have completed their review of the Canucks' amateur and pro scouting staffs.

But there has to be explanation why the Canucks have never been able to draft, develop or trade for decent d-men. Heck even most of the UFA signings have flopped. Hughes and maybe Rathbone are about the only outliers.

But frankly until they fix their scouting staffs, I don't think there's even much point in the Canucks drafting a d-man in the first three rounds. And as far as the CHL is concerned, forget about it. In eight years the Canucks haven't drafted a single d-man from the WHL, OHL and QMJHL who was worth a damn.

How is that level of mediocrity even possible? As the old saying goes, even a blind squirrel will stumble on an acorn once and awhile.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I think Romanov was the guy selected right after Woo too. Another swing and a miss by Benning. Too bad he traded away so many swings. Maybe with more swings the misses, like Woo, don’t stand out so much?

D From that 2nd round after Woo, Romanov, Fehevary, Durzi have cemented themselves as every day players with Addison + Perunovich dominating the AHL and having NHL call ups already.
Post automatically merged:

I have no idea if Rutherford and Allvin have completed their review of the Canucks' amateur and pro scouting staffs.

But there has to be explanation why the Canucks have never been able to draft, develop or trade for decent d-men. Heck even most of the UFA signings have flopped. Hughes and maybe Rathbone are about the only outliers.

But frankly until they fix their scouting staffs, I don't think there's even much point in the Canucks drafting a d-man in the first three rounds. And as far as the CHL is concerned, forget about it. In eight years the Canucks haven't drafted a single d-man from the WHL, OHL and QMJHL who was worth a damn.

How is that level of mediocrity even possible? As the old saying goes, even a blind squirrel will stumble on an acorn once and awhile.

Yeah there's honestly just zero accountability for results it seems.

I truly wonder how the organization actually measured the success of their scouting departments pre-Allvin, and how it will measure them going forward.

Like you should be able to see which prospects end up succeeding and then go back to double check all of the scouting reports on that player and whether they had a total misread or not, or cross reference the final master scouting list against how things shake out but you have to wait a few years for that to be accurate at all. That's the real problem, that it takes 3-5 years to see where you made your mistakes, and by then you've held onto the guys who made those mistakes for 3-5 years.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

This is purely a Benning era legacy. Quinn/Keenan/Burke/Nonis/Gillis were all able to develop and/or find quality dmen.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I like how Woo is a Benning pick but Brackett who this board idolizes was our chief amateur scout that year....

The blame isnt on one person its on the whole amateur scouting department, Brackett included

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I like how Woo is a Benning pick but Brackett who this board idolizes was our chief amateur scout that year....

The blame isnt on one person its on the whole amateur scouting department, Brackett included
Isn’t it true that Bracket asked for more draft autonomy (from Benning) for his scouts? Then he was forced out? I’m wondering with Bennng trading away so many picks, and having very few left, if he got involved with choosing guys (influencing the draft list) more and more? When it came to the draft, Benning was very arrogant, as evidenced by his “why is no one taking Kole Lind” remark.

Reactions: MarkMM

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Until the Canucks fix their scouting department--particularly the guys scouting the WHL--they should just forget about drafting guys from the Dub. Starting with Virtnanen, they haven't unearthed a single guy who moves the needle as a prospect.

I have no problem with them taking plunge on overage guys like Wouters or Bains....but stay away from 18-year olds. The Canucks simply can't afford another first or second round bust from the WHL.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Even if Woo was a Brackett pick, that happens, every GM or head Scout has misses. I think the painful thing for Canucks fans is how bad the team was and the GM was incapable to accumulate multiple picks so that the misses like Woo dont stand out so much

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Until the Canucks fix their scouting department--particularly the guys scouting the WHL--they should just forget about drafting guys from the Dub. Starting with Virtnanen, they haven't unearthed a single guy who moves the needle as a prospect.

I have no problem with them taking plunge on overage guys like Wouters or Bains....but stay away from 18-year olds. The Canucks simply can't afford another first or second round bust from the WHL.
Hasn't the WHL been Ron Delorm's responsibility over the last decade or so?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
8 points in his last 10 games, really thriving with the extra offensive mandate since Wolanin and Rathbone have been called up. I hope he sticks on the powerplay for the rest of the year.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Even if Woo was a Brackett pick, that happens, every GM or head Scout has misses. I think the painful thing for Canucks fans is how bad the team was and the GM was incapable to accumulate multiple picks so that the misses like Woo dont stand out so much
Nope it’s the 20 years since they got a decent dman (outside of 7th overall).

I don’t give a shit about getting more picks because they have been the worst drafting and development team in the league 2 decades and counting.

This is purely a Benning era legacy. Quinn/Keenan/Burke/Nonis/Gillis were all able to develop and/or find quality dmen.
Then why is Edler the last top 4 guy they drafted (ignoring the 7th overall and the guy they gave away for pretty much nothing).

It’s been a problem for a long long time. Spanning 3 different GMs.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I’m really rooting for Woo. I love these forgotten prospects who keep working hard on their games in the minors and then see a big improvement as things finally click.
It would be great if he gets some games next year and becomes an everyday player.
He might actually be a player that Tocchet could like. His skating is decent, he has size, and a nasty streak. Hoping that his development over the past year will allow him to make a push at training camp - avoiding the defensive hiccups. He and Rathbone actually looked really good together at first.
He would be coming in to the league as a 23 year old which isn't old for a defender who had to bake a little in the minors.
I see him as a possible replacement for Burroughs actually, if the team isn't going to re-sign KB.

Reactions: mossey3535

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
So Woo is waiver eligible next season and will be one the guys pushing for an NHL spot.

Personally, I like what he brings and I believe he’s capable of making the team as a 6th/7th defenseman. Ryan Johnson loves Woo and I’d like for us to finally graduate a damn defensive prospect for once.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So Woo is waiver eligible next season and will be one the guys pushing for an NHL spot.

Personally, I like what he brings and I believe he’s capable of making the team as a 6th/7th defenseman. Ryan Johnson loves Woo and I’d like for us to finally graduate a damn defensive prospect for once.

He should really have at least another half-season in the AHL to consolidate what he was doing to finish last season but given his waiver situation if he has a good camp/preseason I wouldn’t be surprised to see the team keep him around as the 7/8 defender.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

he has yet to play a call up game in the nhl. i think he will get waived if they think he will clear waivers.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Isn’t it true that Bracket asked for more draft autonomy (from Benning) for his scouts? Then he was forced out? I’m wondering with Bennng trading away so many picks, and having very few left, if he got involved with choosing guys (influencing the draft list) more and more? When it came to the draft, Benning was very arrogant, as evidenced by his “why is no one taking Kole Lind” remark.

How is asking a question evidence of arrogance? Asking for others input is the opposite of that actually.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
How is asking a question evidence of arrogance? Asking for others input is the opposite of that actually.
Asking in general, why is no one selecting Kole Lind, is absolutely a sign of arrogance. It’s stating that he knows more than everyone else and is shocked by the player not being chosen. Woo was very likely “Benning’s guy” too. Sadly Romanov was chosen next. Maybe our scouts (like Bracket) preferred Romanov but Benning insisted on “his guy”?

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
Training camp will be make or break for him as a Canuck and maybe enemy for his chances at ever being an NHL regular.
But personally, I like his chances and I think he will be eased into the lineup over the course of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad