Prospect Info: Jets Prospects at the '22 World Junior Hockey Championship

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Tournaments officially done. I'm usually on the "this sucks for everyone but it's the right choice" side, but why the hell wasn't this in a bubble?

Didn't think they needed one with how the vaccines were working prior to omnicron.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
It will be too bad for the kids. Should have had a single hotel for the teams and restricted things.
I don’t want to disclose too much of my personal life but when I was younger I participated in a sports tournament at a MUCH lower level than this and the organizers still rented out a hotel to keep athletes and coaches separate from the general public. This was a competition that would’ve made a few dollars from sponsorships and general admission tickets but certainly didn’t have the TV deal nor international recognition of the WJC. But they were still able to afford to rent out a hotel (granted there was no Covid then). This just seems like a farce from IIHF and Hockey Canada.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don’t want to disclose too much of my personal life but when I was younger I participated in a sports tournament at a MUCH lower level than this and the organizers still rented out a hotel to keep athletes and coaches separate from the general public. This was a competition that would’ve made a few dollars from sponsorships and general admission tickets but certainly didn’t have the TV deal nor international recognition of the WJC. But they were still able to afford to rent out a hotel (granted there was no Covid then). This just seems like a farce from IIHF and Hockey Canada.

Yeah no kidding.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well at least we saw some game. The timing of Omicron outbreak was the death blow for this event. They didn’t pivot to a modified bubble in time but thats life.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
With cases being at an all time high? Higher than last year when they played in a bubble? It's a 2 week tournament, there's no excuse for not taking extra precautions.

These things are organized well in advance. At the time they likely did all of the booking and logistics things likely looked good for anyone that was vaccinated.

That still doesnt absolve them of what is looking like a major oversight in not to rent out a single hotel for all players and staff. That should have been simple and quite frankly expected to be done.

That may not have stopped this but it would have given them a better chance. I think it's more shit timing with this new variant

Reactions: Jets 31 and Atoyot

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
Tournament's done. I'm usually on the "this sucks for everyone but it's the right choice" side, but why the hell wasn't this in a bubble?

200.gif

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Just the wrong variant at the wrong time for events like this. 2 weeks ago would have been fine but now spreading so rapidly with or without symptoms.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Feel for Perfetti who was playing very well and won't be able to play in another Junior tournament because of age, guess a long run in the Stanley Cup tournament will have to do.:naughty: :nod:

Yeah definitely feel for him as he clearly wanted that gold medal.

Hopefully he comes back disappointed and hungry and claims a spot on the Jets.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
These things are organized well in advance. At the time they likely did all of the booking and logistics things likely looked good for anyone that was vaccinated.

That still doesnt absolve them of what is looking like a major oversight in not to rent out a single hotel for all players and staff. That should have been simple and quite frankly expected to be done.

That may not have stopped this but it would have given them a better chance. I think it's more shit timing with this new variant
Yeah, just an extreme lack of foresight. Even if things were looking good when it was being planned it still would have been prudent to plan as if they weren't. If it was about saving a few bucks then it's backfired tremendously.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
f***ing brutal

ive been out of the sports loop for a bit, but i am shocked this wasn't in a bubble. just reading that today. IIHF sucks.

Not even really sure that matters with how transmissible it is. A case or two and all of a sudden every team has it in 4-5 days.

They had cases in a bubble last year just with a less transmissible variant.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Perfetti finishes as the sole point leader of the tournament. Extrapolating his numbers he would have finished with 21 points and I'll hear nothing else of it :laugh:

He was having having a similar caliber tournament to Zegras last year. I think he will have a similar transition arc to the NHL.

Reactions: Jets 31

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Kinda crazy that with this shutdown and the NHL postponing games like crazy that the NFL just keeps on ticking. I guess it’s easier to deal with when only playing once a week?

Reactions: Jets 31

Kg810

Sep 24, 2015
Just the wrong variant at the wrong time for events like this. 2 weeks ago would have been fine but now spreading so rapidly with or without symptoms.

Lol it is exactly this type of thinking that cancelled the WJC. Do yourself a favor, stop listening to the media and the narrative that cases are the end of the world.

What if I told you an estimated 3 billion people will get Omicron in the next 3 months? I bet with what you've demonstrated here you'll probably cancel your entire life.

Reactions: hn777 and Cypruss

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Kinda crazy that with this shutdown and the NHL postponing games like crazy that the NFL just keeps on ticking. I guess it’s easier to deal with when only playing once a week?

They are missing a ton of players and coaches though. Kind of a joke in terms of competitiveness. You have teams screwed by timing, some coming back full steam and their opponent could be missing 20 guys including their starting QB.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
They are missing a ton of players and coaches though. Kind of a joke in terms of competitiveness. You have teams screwed by timing, some coming back full steam and their opponent could be missing 20 guys including their starting QB.
Yep that’s true, I think Washington was down to a QB off the street a few weeks ago. Baltimore too I think.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Lol it is exactly this type of thinking that cancelled the WJC. Do yourself a favor, stop listening to the media and the narrative that cases are the end of the world.

What if I told you an estimated 3 billion people will get Omicron in the next 3 months? I bet with what you've demonstrated here you'll probably cancel your entire life.

Cases aren't the issue but in a two week tournament with everyone likely getting infected in that time you don't think illness would eventually be a serious issue? You're lining up for a medal round game and one team has 3 goalies sick in bed...then what?

Yes Omicron is highly transmissible and we likely will be cancelling a lot of things to allow the core services of our world to function.

None

Feb 22, 2012

It's more like the externalities (public health in this case) aren't being factored into the decision making in some places anymore. And it kind of makes sense when you consider that one place has public healthcare and the other has for profit healthcare. They've somehow managed to turn a global pandemic into a profitable feedback loop for entertainment and healthcare industries to the benefit of absolutely nobody.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Cases aren't the issue but in a two week tournament with everyone likely getting infected in that time you don't think illness would eventually be a serious issue? You're lining up for a medal round game and one team has 3 goalies sick in bed...then what?

Yes Omicron is highly transmissible and we likely will be cancelling a lot of things to allow the core services of our world to function.
Do you think any of them are sick? 95% of NHL positives are asymptomatic.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Yep that’s true, I think Washington was down to a QB off the street a few weeks ago. Baltimore too I think.

Cleveland.

Waiting to see how they deal with it in playoffs. Not testing players who aren't symptomatic but that's kind of a low bar too. If Tom Brady has a cough on Super Bowl Saturday would they bench him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad