Prospect Info: Jets Prospects at the '22 World Junior Hockey Championship

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Cleveland.

Waiting to see how they deal with it in playoffs. Not testing players who aren't symptomatic but that's kind of a low bar too. If Tom Brady has a cough on Super Bowl Saturday would they bench him?
Will be interesting to see what happens. Especially if they end up having a Super Bowl where half the players are backups/practice roster dudes. Will the NFL want that? I mean, Super Bowl ratings will be astronomical no matter what though

None

Feb 22, 2012
Yep, it was made officially official about 15 minutes ago if Bob McKenzie and Chris Peters weren't reliable enough sources

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
May as well cancel the NHL season, too. At this rate the season cant be played anyway.

Jets are in lottery position now. Should get a good prospect in the top 16 picks.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
May as well cancel the NHL season, too. At this rate the season cant be played anyway.

Jets are in lottery position now. Should get a good prospect in the top 16 picks.
We'll see how hard Omicron hits the Canadian medical system...hopefully it comes and goes quickly with few hospitalizations, as it seems to have done in other areas.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020

If the NHL was able to complete the 2019-20 season when there were no vaccines and covid presented a much more serious risk of death, then surely it can find a way to complete this season?!

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
For the IIHF, it came down to one thing: tegridy.
tegridy.jpg

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The death knell for the tourney was forcing an entire team to quarantine/ forfeit with a single positive.

I'm not sure how they reasonably expected to complete the tournament under those impossible protocols.
The death of the tourney is due to Omicron and not being prepared for it.
There was no bubble. Players are staying at hotels with the general public.
Doomed to fail by what I'd say is poor preparation.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The death of the tourney is due to Omicron and not being prepared for it.
There was no bubble. Players are staying at hotels with the general public.
Doomed to fail by what I'd say is poor preparation.

I wonder if someone at Hockey Canada is in shit for that. Bubble might have not done much in the end, but laughable that they are sharing hotels with boozy wedding receptions given the protocols that come into place with any positive cases even before Omicron. I'm sure they could have spared the few bucks to buy out 2-3 hotels for 3 weeks.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don’t want to disclose too much of my personal life but when I was younger I participated in a sports tournament at a MUCH lower level than this and the organizers still rented out a hotel to keep athletes and coaches separate from the general public. This was a competition that would’ve made a few dollars from sponsorships and general admission tickets but certainly didn’t have the TV deal nor international recognition of the WJC. But they were still able to afford to rent out a hotel (granted there was no Covid then). This just seems like a farce from IIHF and Hockey Canada.

Hindsight is 20-20.
In October/November, when they were planning this, things looked pretty good.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
These things are organized well in advance. At the time they likely did all of the booking and logistics things likely looked good for anyone that was vaccinated.

That still doesnt absolve them of what is looking like a major oversight in not to rent out a single hotel for all players and staff. That should have been simple and quite frankly expected to be done.

That may not have stopped this but it would have given them a better chance. I think it's more shit timing with this new variant

That single hotel idea might have helped. Also might have made it worse. One infected person then infects everybody. The way Omicron is spreading is way beyond anything that any of us are familiar with. If I type Omicron three times I probably get it, sitting here at my keyboard. :laugh: :( Only half joking. I'm not going to type that, just in case. :laugh: :( :eek:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Lol it is exactly this type of thinking that cancelled the WJC. Do yourself a favor, stop listening to the media and the narrative that cases are the end of the world.

What if I told you an estimated 3 billion people will get Omicron in the next 3 months? I bet with what you've demonstrated here you'll probably cancel your entire life.

You better just hope and pray that you don't get injured in a car accident any time soon. Our hospitals are already full. They aren't telling you that, but they are. Full is a lower number in reality than it is on paper. They just don't have the health-care workers to staff all of the paper capacity.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If the NHL was able to complete the 2019-20 season when there were no vaccines and covid presented a much more serious risk of death, then surely it can find a way to complete this season?!

Hope so. But that was done with zero fans. Don't think the NHL wants to do that again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad