Prospect Info: Jets Prospects at the '22 World Junior Hockey Championship

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I've always been of the impression that not trying to score is more embarrassing than getting the score ran up. I've been in a few of those situations in a couple of different sports on both sides, and it was always far more embarrassing to watch a team just pass it around instead of trying to score.

Plus there's the whole goal difference ratio for seeding. I saw the Finns game against Austria and they weren't holding back either.

When there is a massive disparity in talent and they reward goal differential then it’s really the format and size of the tournament that are the problem.

Running up the score or intentionally not trying are both bad options.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
The kid is special. I see peak Kariya in him, 50-55 goal 110 to 120 points.
Boy that's setting a high bar. I don't see the explosiveness of Kariya in him. I see 20G 70 points, not a cold blooded sniper but a guy who is always around the puck and makes smart plays.

Reactions: Klondiker98

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You’re right, there’s nothing “wrong” with an old Mustang, but I’d still prefer the new Lamborghini

:laugh:
Trouble is, you lose 82 straight games and get Eichel instead of McDavid. :laugh:
Or, in this case, xxx instead of Bedard.

Not to mention that it might be very hard to tank successfully next year with 20 other teams trying to tank for Bedard. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
When there is a massive disparity in talent and they reward goal differential then it’s really the format and size of the tournament that are the problem.

Running up the score or intentionally not trying are both bad options.

I think Canada would play the same way if goal difference wasn't a thing. I think every team in the tournament would too.

Reactions: ps241

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Rewatatching the game and it's an incredible contrast to see just how much Cole moves around on the HB to change points of attack and passing lanes qhe compared to Scheifele on the Jets.

Mark pay attention and start to do the same and the pp will improve.

Yup. The confidence from Cole is just outstanding in this tournament. He has grown leaps and bounds.

He runs the PP like a PG in basketball. There has been a few goals where, like you mentioned, he doesn't like the look and shuffles the deck to get guys into position where they can create something. It's so refreshing to watch.

It's exactly what we need with shots like Scheif, KC and PLD. Perfetti will find them with the puck.

I just can't wait until we can see him pulling the strings on the big club.

There will be a difference when he is trying to do it against NHL competition. Maybe we need to temper the enthusiasm just a bit. He has 6 points ........ against Czechia and Austria.

That said, I'm pretty sure he will be a big help to our PP.

Reactions: LowLefty

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There will be a difference when he is trying to do it against NHL competition. Maybe we need to temper the enthusiasm just a bit. He has 6 points ........ against Czechia and Austria.

That said, I'm pretty sure he will be a big help to our PP.

He does the exact same thing against AHL competition. It's style of play more so then his point totals for me and something I've see across multiple levels.

If NHL teams try to close that ice down then that leaves other areas open for our other skilled players.

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
He does the exact same thing against AHL competition. It's style of play more so then his point totals for me and something I've see across multiple levels.

If NHL teams try to close that ice down then that leaves other areas open for our other skilled players.

Bingo.

I'm not concerned in the slightest about point production in these short tourneys with guys being slapped together.

Personally, I am all about evaluating the traits of a player in a tournament and situation like this. Perfetti has continually blown me away with his poise, his vision to create offensively, and his positioning all over the ice. To say he has taken massive steps from the past season in his development would be a understatement.

McTavish, Power, Bedard etc. are being showered in praise by the national media thus far and they are playing the same competition. No doubt, starting on NYE, and onwards, there is going to be a huge tick up in the level of play in the tournament.

But I don't think it's unfair to get a little bit giddy that our guy is the straw that stirs the drink on the PP for a team with the quality of Canada.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think Canada would play the same way if goal difference wasn't a thing. I think every team in the tournament would too.
As it's such a short tournament and they have to keep up their killer instincts as if they let up instead of not running up the score is when bad habits creep into their games.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That was an embarrassment for the sport.

Canada has offensive talent but they’ll need to put up 5 or 6 to win against a team like the US because unless things change they are going to give up a boat load too.

I doubt it will be boring. Welcome to 80’s Oilers hockey kids

Yup, I haven't liked this teams defensive play much at all.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
There goes the tournament, Russia now forfeiting this afternoon’s game due to one positive. Not sure how you recover after 3 cancelled games.

Reactions: Cypruss

None

Feb 22, 2012
There goes the tournament, Russia now forfeiting this afternoon’s game due to one positive. Not sure how you recover after 3 cancelled games.

Yeah, either they postpone and switch to a bubble format and then re-quarantine or it's probably finished with current protocol. This variant is too infectious to think that other people aren't going to test positive at some point very soon and continue spreading and causing forfeits.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah, either they postpone and switch to a bubble format and then re-quarantine or it's probably finished with current protocol. This variant is too infectious to think that other people aren't going to test positive at some point very soon and continue spreading and causing forfeits.

Exactly, are you going to award the Gold on a forfeiture because that is looking far more likely now.

Reactions: None

None

Feb 22, 2012
Exactly, are you going to award the Gold on a forfeiture because that is looking far more likely now.

Selfishly I hope they re-quarantine and go into a bubble and resume a ~week from now but I'm sure there's reasons why that might not be possible. I don't want a full cancellation.
I'd hope that the federations involved wouldn't mind going back and playing the games that were forfeited as if they weren't but I'd also understand if they refused.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Thinking strictly of Perfetti being ready for the NHL is interesting. I guess I still look at it as what path is best for his development and the org.

I kind of like the path Cole is on now. Let him finish at the world juniors, finish out the season and the playoffs in the AHL, have one more full off season to get his body ready. Then it’s on to the NHL next season on the first year of his ELC. We will have had some roster curn by then and there will be room.

On the flip side if the AHL is suspended until
The end of January (as an example) they have to get this figured out. With the injuries there might be a window for Cole in the NHL to eat up the remainder of his eligible games (I think it’s 6 more).

Personally I am not in a rush for Cole this season. He looks great so far in the world juniors but that style of play is not even remotely close to what is happening in the NHL.
Agree with all of this

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Selfishly I hope they re-quarantine and go into a bubble and resume a ~week from now but I'm sure there's reasons why that might not be possible. I don't want a full cancellation.
I'd hope that the federations involved wouldn't mind going back and playing the games that were forfeited as if they weren't but I'd also understand if they refused.

Well the issue becomes what is arena availability like. Also things might get far worse with Omnicron in a few weeks and we may be back with full restrictions.

I'd like to finish but this is looking like a near impossibility if single positive test result grounds a team.

I think it's far too late to quarantine everyone again and then bubble it.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Might as well cancel the tournament if ONE positive leads to a forfeit now. I see no realistic way they can finish the tournament without any spread of the virus now.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I mean I thought teams brought 25 players for things like this.

If you can dress a team that has all double tested negative then what is the issue with having them play the game.

Reactions: Cypruss

None

Feb 22, 2012
Seems like the IIHF is meeting this afternoon and canceling the remainder is in the docket.

Yeah, I don't think a bubble is possible at this point because arena dates and hotel availability. Apparently Team Sweden came in contact with a wedding party at the hotel that they're in with Team USA. It honestly sounds like they didn't have any forethought at all and the quarantine pre-tournament was only to satisfy federal regulation.
The IIHF and Hockey Canada come out of this looking like clowns.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah, I don't think a bubble is possible at this point because arena dates and hotel availability. Apparently Team Sweden came in contact with a wedding party at the hotel that they're in with Team USA. It honestly sounds like they didn't have any forethought at all and the quarantine pre-tournament was only to satisfy federal regulation.
The IIHF and Hockey Canada come out of this looking like clowns.

To be fair this wouldn't have been a big deal had Omicron not exploded right before the tournament.

Still it probably would have been smart to atleast house all the staff, players and officials in the same hotel and prevent access.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Seems like the IIHF is meeting this afternoon and canceling the remainder is in the docket.

Yea 2 days ago a poster I respect wrote…..This tournament will be lucky to survive the next 3 days and he was right. It’s way too infectious and they aren’t in a bubble so this was a matter of when not if.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Tournament's done. I'm usually on the "this sucks for everyone but it's the right choice" side, but why the hell wasn't this in a bubble?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well sounds like the plug is going to be pulled.

I guess silver lining is that Cole is now available for the Jets if they wish to use him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad