Speculation: Shesterkin on contract: I love the team, I love the fans so of course it will be great to stay here. But you never know what’s going to happen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Honestly I think you are right Shesterkin is there best player.

Even though they have Fox and Panarin both studs. If I could have anyone on that team it would be Shesterkin

Panarin got 11.6 a few years ago. Can't see why Shesterkin shouldn't get more.

I can think of two reasons why. Goalies don't play 82 games and you can win a Stanley Cup without a superstar goalie. As good as Shesterkin is, the difference between him and a $6-8 million goalie isn't as great as a $6-8 million skater and Panarin.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I can think of two reasons why. Goalies don't play 82 games and you can win a Stanley Cup without a superstar goalie. As good as Shesterkin is, the difference between him and a $6-8 million goalie isn't as great as a $6-8 million skater and Panarin.
You must’ve never seen those two players play in the playoffs.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I think $12 million for any goalie is ridiculous, but if any goalie has the right to ask for a record breaking contract, it's absolutely Shesterkin.

If it gets done, I'm guessing it would be like 8 years at $11 million AAV.
For that reason playa I’d let him go. No goalie is worth more than 8 million.

• Haha
Reactions: Frank Drebin

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
For that reason playa I’d let him go. No goalie is worth more than 8 million.
It's a weird situation but at the same time I'll throw my opinion out there, the goalie is the most imporant player on a team that wants to make a cup run. Simple as that. You don't have a hot goalie? You might not go far. You have one of the better goalies in the league who perfoms in the playoffs, and could potentially stand on his head all the way to the Cup? You can't let that guy walk.

And yet, heyzeus this guy is looking for Carey Price+ AAV?

Rags are in a bind here.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
"Market resetting" doesn't work in the NHL. It works in the NBA and the NFL because their expected growth every year is gigantic and their salary caps are a lot easier to deal with than in the NHL. The contracts also have shorter terms usually.

I think he's gonna be disappointed if the ask is a firm 12-13m.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
NHL on Prime caught a live look at Swayman.

Screen Shot 2024-09-25 at 12.33.16 AM.png

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Not a great time to make that point after Bobrovsky came back to life and won a cup as a $10 million goalie.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
It's a weird situation but at the same time I'll throw my opinion out there, the goalie is the most imporant player on a team that wants to make a cup run. Simple as that. You don't have a hot goalie? You might not go far. You have one of the better goalies in the league who perfoms in the playoffs, and could potentially stand on his head all the way to the Cup? You can't let that guy walk.

And yet, heyzeus this guy is looking for Carey Price+ AAV?

Rags are in a bind here.
You don’t need a great goalie to win a cup, you just need your goalie to get hot. That’s why I would never pay $$$$$ for a goalie. It’s just not worth it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
"Market resetting" doesn't work in the NHL. It works in the NBA and the NFL because their expected growth every year is gigantic and their salary caps are a lot easier to deal with than in the NHL. The contracts also have shorter terms usually.

I think he's gonna be disappointed if the ask is a firm 12-13m.

The NHL went from 39 million in salary cap roof in 05-06 to 79.5 million in 18-19 right before COVID hit ... that's a pretty significant and consistent overall growth, many years the NHL cap rose by $4.5-$5+ million over one season and that is without accounting for inflation, that would be like $6+-$7+ million today.

Player's aren't actually in the wrong, the salary cap is going to skyrocket past $100 million quickly and even $110 million probably. It's been massively artificially held down for many years now due to COVID.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Not a great time to make that point after Bobrovsky came back to life and won a cup as a $10 million goalie.

And Hill, Binnington and Keumper have also won Cups recently. Never said it's bad to have a superstar goalie, but it's not 100% necessary. I'm not sure Bob is substantially better than the three I just listed. They are all capable of performing at the same level in front of a strong team.

scoopscj

Feb 13, 2009
Central Joy-See
As a rival fan, it pains me to say, but he deserves a huge payday. I'd be all broken up... cough... if he left in free agency, but he seems like a real solid human being. As Jack Hughes said in an interview, "I hate gassing him up." but he is the real deal. Best goalie in my humble opinion .

As an aside, I had Brodeur to cheer for for years, but the damn Rangers had Richter, Vanbiesbrouck, Lundqvist, and now Igor in my years of watching them. There were some stinkers in-between but how do they always have such good goalies?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I bet rangers are willing to pay up to 11.5 and shesty wants more than that. I bet they settle close to 12m per.

And Hill, Binnington and Keumper have also won Cups recently. Never said it's bad to have a superstar goalie, but it's not 100% necessary. I'm not sure Bob is substantially better than the three I just listed. They are all capable of performing at the same level in front of a strong team.
No exact formula to winning the cup but getting rid of elite players to have more cap space definitely aint it.

Reactions: HBK27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad