Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XVIII)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Also a pretty important article if I do say myself:
http://hockey-graphs.com/2014/01/08...-comparing-jack-johnson-and-dustin-byfuglien/

Key note: Jets +/- has improved with Buff on the ice for score-close minutes, not gone down
finalwowy.jpg

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Geez my eyes hurt. If we turn that graph 45 degrees we may be able to play tic-tac-toe.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
http://hockey-graphs.com/2014/01/08...-comparing-jack-johnson-and-dustin-byfuglien/

Key note: Jets +/- has improved with Buff on the ice for score-close minutes, not gone down
finalwowy.jpg

Thanks for pointing us to that article, G. Very interesting.

I loved this quote from Dave Tippett:

“We had a player that was supposed to be a great, shut-down defenseman. He was supposedly the be-all, end-all of defensemen. But when you did a 10-game analysis of him, you found out he was defending all the time because he can’t move the puck.Then we had another guy, who supposedly couldn’t defend a lick. Well, he was defending only 20 percent of the time because he’s making good plays out of our end. He may not be the strongest defender, but he’s only doing it 20 percent of the time. So the equation works out better the other way. I ended up trading the other defenseman.â€

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg

finalwowy.jpg

Amazing and very interesting! I like Buff, just think it's time to cash in on him and work towards adding to our young core with whatever return we can get for him before he starts his descend. Don't think he will ever fetch more than he would now at this stage of his career.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I think Byfuglien is going to get moved. Maybe not at the deadline, but eventually.

There's no space on RD with Bogosian and Trouba and there's no space on LW with Ladd and Kane (in a perfect world I'd move Ladd to the 3rd line but I digress).

If we could get a guy like B. Schenn or Eberle for him, I'd do it.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Amazing and very interesting! I like Buff, just think it's time to cash in on him and work towards adding to our young core with whatever return we can get for him before he starts his descend. Don't think he will ever fetch more than he would now at this stage of his career.

I can understand that, and our depth at RHD makes it very possible for us.

Personally I'd rather him on our D or trade him for equivalent value to fill areas of weak depth than be a forward.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Personally I'd rather him on our D or trade him for equivalent value to fill areas of weak depth than be a forward.

I agree. Playing Buff as a third-line winger is not really getting maximum value from him. I think that if he doesn't fit on the top two D pairs, then he should be moved for players and / or prospects that could fill the need for a top 4 LHD and at least a top 9 forward. A goalie would be nice, too.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
After reading the "What would you pay Stastny as an UFA" thread on the trade board, I wanted to share my post on here:

Would love him on the Jets but doubt we have chances. 7 per over 6 years would be my offer with NMC. He played with Wheeler in Munich during the lock-out and their chemistry HAS BEEN DYNAMITEMONEYGOLD.

Then trade Little and rights to Burmistrov (plus 2nd if needed) to Buffalo for Miller.

Trade Buff for a 2nd unit LHD and a top 6 RW.

Ladd Stastny Wheeler
Kane Scheifele BuffdealRW
Setoguchi Jokinen Frolik (IF Seto and Olli get re-signed)
Tangradi/Thorburn Slater Peluso/Halischuk

Toby Bogosian
BuffdealLHD Trouba
Stuart/Redmond Pardy/Morrissey

Miller
Montoya

playoff team!

What do you think about it? Is it that easy to make the Jets a legit playoff team with just 2 moves?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
After reading the "What would you pay Stastny as an UFA" thread on the trade board, I wanted to share my post on here:

What do you think about it? Is it that easy to make the Jets a legit playoff team with just 2 moves?

Why are we trading Little for a ufa? Every indication is that he's not interested in playing in Canada anyway. Plus, getting a guy like Stastny doesn't make Little expendable in the least. Not a chance.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Why are we trading Little for a ufa? Every indication is that he's not interested in playing in Canada anyway. Plus, getting a guy like Stastny doesn't make Little expendable in the least. Not a chance.

There's no way I am trading Bryan Little. The return would have to be pretty great for me to consider it. He has to be one of the most underrated players in the league right now. He does it all: scores, playmakes, defends, penalty kills.

I've always liked him but he has really elevated his game to a new level this season.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Stastny is 2 years older than Little and is not a better player at this point in their respective careers. Little also has great chemistry with Wheeler, but, unlike Stastny, is signed LT at 4.7m/yr. He is the most underrated player on our team IMO.
If and when the time comes to trade core pieces, I'd trade Ladd before Little.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
There's no way I am trading Bryan Little. The return would have to be pretty great for me to consider it. He has to be one of the most underrated players in the league right now. He does it all: scores, playmakes, defends, penalty kills.

I've always liked him but he has really elevated his game to a new level this season.

Agreed. Little is not a guy you look to move. On a good long term contract, plays well in both ends. Has great chemistry with Ladd. And is just about as low maintenance as a hockey player can be. And he just turned 26 this season.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011

Before deadline or offseason? There's no Clitsome.

Monster1974

Feb 9, 2014
I figure that Buff for Gallagher would be a fair trade if both teams wanted a bit of a change up. Some people might not agree but I think a 2nd line winger with a crazy work ethic would be a good enough return for Buff in the off-season if we chose to trade him.

there are 2 trains of thought here in MTL on Gallagher:
1. the only line that puts up points is whatever line Gallagher is on. Last season, Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher was putting up points. This year, when Pacioretty & Desharnais were slumping, Gallagher was put there and things started working. All we need is for Plekanec to slump, and we'd have to put Gallagher on that line too...

2. How long, with his diminutive size & stature, can his body withstand that physical play & beating he takes every game? Surely his body will eventually breakdown, no?

If MTL management think like the first train of thought, not a chance he's dealt. If they think along the lines of #2, then he's obviously available...

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
there are 2 trains of thought here in MTL on Gallagher:
1. the only line that puts up points is whatever line Gallagher is on. Last season, Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher was putting up points. This year, when Pacioretty & Desharnais were slumping, Gallagher was put there and things started working. All we need is for Plekanec to slump, and we'd have to put Gallagher on that line too...

2. How long, with his diminutive size & stature, can his body withstand that physical play & beating he takes every game? Surely his body will eventually breakdown, no?

If MTL management think like the first train of thought, not a chance he's dealt. If they think along the lines of #2, then he's obviously available...

Ah I understand. The only way he'd be available is if his durability is a question mark. I think he's a great player, but I haven't witnessed the pounding he's bound to have taken game by game either.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
If we could get Stastny our team would be looking pretty good...He's gonna get big money from a team and LONG term from one team. Leafs, Rangers, Vancouver, Edmonton, even Colorado themselves would shell out big dough for a top six center.

Any idea what Byfuglien would command in theory if we were negotiating to re-sign him? He'd probably need a raise from his $5.25M cap hit.

jetkarma*

I agree , he has more value on D or moved for assets than as a third line RW imo.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Dealing those two for UFA's is just a bad idea.

ESPECIALLY Bryan Little. No way in Hell would I deal him unless it's for a substantial amount, incredibly underrated player.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
agree to disagree

edit

what makes you think i want to trade for stastny as an ufa? I wanted to sign him? Did you actually read my post? :D (directed to everyone actually lol)

Sign Stastny as UFA and use Little to get Miller.

Last edited:

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
agree to disagree

edit

what makes you think i want to trade for stastny as an ufa? I wanted to sign him? Did you actually read my post? :D (directed to everyone actually lol)

Ryan Miller is UFA.

Rumour has it also not interested in signing in a Canadian city.

Therefore, you're dealing them for a UFA(s).

You'd first have to deal away Little first and then pray and hope Stastny doesn't sign elsewhere, as he's totally free to do. Same goes for Miller actually.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
agree to disagree

edit

Did you read my post indicating that Miller is a ufa and therefore dealing any asset, especially one as hugely important as Little for him makes no sense? Did you look at capgeek?

Plus, in the extremely unrealistic scenario that Stastny signed in Winnipeg, that doesn't make Little even remotely available. The idea would be to have them both. Little can also play on the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad