Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes, if a big payday is your goal, this is a particularly good year to be a UFA...

I'm sure there will be a few more Clarkson's this summer. Players drastically overpaid for what they currently bring to the table, never mind in 5-7 years when they are well past their primes.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Way more. 7 x $7 million is probably not out of the question.

Agree, and this is why I was so shocked when Alex Steen signed his extension for 3 years/17 million.
I have always associated Stastny and Steen in my mind--probably their pedigrees--and assumed both players' agents would be pushing for 7 years/50 million. Steen gave the Blues a huge discount as far as I am concerned --leaving as much as 30 million dollars on the table, considering the toll injuries are now taking on his body and the uncertainty of his health in his early thirties.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I wonder if Paul Maurice has a high opinion of Arturs Kulda, having coached against him in the KHL last year. Similarly, I wonder if coaching Kulemin last year could lead to mutual interest in free agency this summer.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I wonder if Paul Maurice has a high opinion of Arturs Kulda, having coached against him in the KHL last year. Similarly, I wonder if coaching Kulemin last year could lead to mutual interest in free agency this summer.

Apparently Kulda told Ed Tait his contract is a 2yr this time in the KHL. And no... no clue about out-clauses... but there probably isn't one if I was to make a guess.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

I like Kulemin. Wonder what kind of $ he will command.

If he can be had for 3 and a half he might fit in well as a middle 6er.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
So that takes him to ufa does it not?

Sorry, I mean this new contract is 2 year that started this season.

He had a 1 year. Then came to Jets (but no GP). Then this summer signed 2 yr.

If his first contract was a 2yr he wouldn't have been able to come over to Jets last season with out terminating first.

Last edited:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Sorry, I mean this new contract is 2 year that started this season.

He had a 1 year. Then came to Jets (but no GP). Then this summer signed 2 yr.

If his first contract was a 2yr he wouldn't have been able to come over to Jets last season with out terminating first.

but will he be an ufa from ufa when it expires?

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
but will he be an ufa from ufa when it expires?

Yes, Arturs Kulda will be a UFA at the end of the 2014-15 season if he does not come back from KHL until then. Considering the way the Jets have treated him I have no problems with him signing that contract to take him to NHL UFA. I would want to move from the Jets as well.

bazaaa*

Way more. 7 x $7 million is probably not out of the question.

What was it rumored Vanek got offered but turned it down? Wasn't it 7 x $7?
I'd take Vanek over him I think.
I'd have a hard time giving anyone $7M who isn't a consisten PPG scorer. I'm not saying I'd base it on that, I just mean that level of player. I guess with cap going up it will be more common.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Supposedy Smid is available. We should be all over that.

No doubt. Not worth a first round, but if we could get him for Postma/Redmond and a 3rd or something like that I'd be ecstatic. His price might even be higher than that though. We need a #4 and he fits the bill age and contract wise. Would be able to slot down to 3rd pair in a few years (Morrissey) without his salary being too egregious. Clitsome and Postma/Redmond as #7-8 defensemen...not elite but pretty good.

If I had my way we could loan out Stuart to a contender for a mid-round pick, do the same with Gooch, and then give up one of the mid rounders (plus a cost controlled dman) for Smid.

Stuart is upgraded, we get back to having 7 picks in the draft (some likely slotted worse) and we still have some decent defensive depth.

I've been wrong before though lol

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I'm unsure about how much Smid is an upgrade over Stuart.

I'm starting to wonder as well... Why did Edmonton give up on him when one of their biggest issues was D? Why is Calgary willing to part with him after less than a season?
I don't see him enough come up with a reason.

From what I have seen when the Jets have played against him, I like.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I'm starting to wonder as well... Why did Edmonton give up on him when one of their biggest issues was D? Why is Calgary willing to part with him after less than a season?

I'm guessing it's pressure from him and his agent to move to a better team.

He went from crap team A to crap team B.

What I don't understand is why he signed the deal that he did with Edmonton if that were the case, but perhaps he really did believe they would improve.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

He hasn't had a very good year and if I remember correctly the advanced stats haven't been kind to him. I guess the question is, is this year an anomaly or has he declined to a bottom pairing player?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Smid has never really developed the way it was hoped. He was supposed to have offensive upside but has shown nil in the NHL. He has a real physical edge and is still young in defenseman years. I would consider him a project but I still have a feeling he could be a dandy if he gets in the right situation. He is very passionate and is well liked by his teammates from what I have heard.

I'm not sure what we'd have to give up to get him though. We are kind of jam packed with NHL and tweener D right now too.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Agree, and this is why I was so shocked when Alex Steen signed his extension for 3 years/17 million.
I have always associated Stastny and Steen in my mind--probably their pedigrees--and assumed both players' agents would be pushing for 7 years/50 million. Steen gave the Blues a huge discount as far as I am concerned --leaving as much as 30 million dollars on the table, considering the toll injuries are now taking on his body and the uncertainty of his health in his early thirties.

I don't know how St. Louis does it (mafia associations or something? :sarcasm:) as they always get their guys to sign really good deals.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'm not sure what we'd have to give up to get him though. We are kind of jam packed with NHL and tweener D right now too.

We do but none of the lhd have the potential or youth that amid has, except maybe clitsome.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Can someone look into the advanced stats of Smid? I know his shots for/against are not good, but useage and QoC would be nice for context.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
We do but none of the lhd have the potential or youth that amid has, except maybe clitsome.

Yeah, that's for sure. I like Smid right now above Pardy, Stuart, Redmond, Postma, and Clitsome. He's only ever played on awful teams. I'd like to see what he can do on a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad