Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
Not sure where to post this so I'll post it in here. Also keep in mind I am very busy and haven't kept up with the Jets as much as I used to, so forgive me if some of this is common knowledge.

Today Mark Chipman came and spoke to my faculty for an hour during lunch. It was pretty informal, he spent the first half going over this history of his involvement with hockey in Winnipeg starting with the Moose in 96, and moved forward to today. The second half of the time was a Q and A.

Some interesting points I gathered:

- The NHL was pretty interested in coming back to Winnipeg, as Bettman let Chipman know back in 04 when the MTS Centre opened that he regretted that the Jets 1.0 (and yes Chipman referred to those Jets as 1.0 so take that 3.0 people ;) ).
- In late April of 09 Chipman had an offer to purchase the Coyotes but turned it down, for one thing the Moose were deep in the playoffs - made the Calder Cup Finals that year, and two, he didn't feel there was enough time to relocate the team (later attempts over the next few years made the process easier as a lot of the process had already gone through so time wasn't a big factor in 2011). In 2010 he had another offer to buy the Coyotes, and accepted it, and had the press conference ready to go, but it was subject to Glendale not coming up with the $25mil by a deadline. Glendale did, and the deal was off, but he said he had a "coupon" from the NHL which was valid to buy the next available team, and eventually used on the Thrashers.
- On firing Noel, he said it was a mutual decision made by himself, Chevy, and Heisinger. He said it was a tough decision, as it was the first time in the roughly 18 years he has been involved in professional hockey that he fired a coach, and that Noel is such a great guy. Additionally, he doesn't buy into the "shelf-life" argument, he said he finds it to be made up, and could be just a product of the media.

Lastly, Chipman came off as a real genuinely great person, who seemed to take pride in what he has done. Additionally, it was clear that if he said something, he meant it, and that he came off as a seriously hard working and humble person. We are lucky to have him not only as an owner, but as a member of the Winnipeg community in general.

EDIT - please don't take what I post as verbatim for what Chipman said.

cliffs : winnipegger uses coupon

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Kevin Gravel is a LD prospect that would be the absolute perfect fit. He is a senior at St. Could State this year. Big shutdown D that moves really well, have a great first pass, awesome positionally. Toffoli, Pearson, Gravel + 2nd would be a great return for Ladd.

Holden you are the biggest Ladd fan I know.....does this deal work for both teams?

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Um...to win the Cup?

Unless they are handing out trophies for collecting shiny prospects now. I haven't seen the press release.

I don't think we'll trade Ladd. To be honest, we probably overvalue him and won't get near the return we want.

If that was the case why trade Ryan at all? It just makes 0 sense to me to trade what you got for Ryan
in a deal for a lesser player in Ladd? If it was all in the name of winning the cup this season then you don't trade Ryan. Ladd does have one extra year on his deal I guess...?

I question if we do either (I actually question if we trade anyone), mainly because I wonder if management is drunk on our success of late (despite how misleading it may be).

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
If that was the case why trade Ryan at all? It just makes 0 sense to me to trade what you got for Ryan
in a deal for a lesser player in Ladd? If it was all in the name of winning the cup this season then you don't trade Ryan. Ladd does have one extra year on his deal I guess...?

Because Ryan is a streaky pain in the ass?

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

I question if we do either (I actually question if we trade anyone), mainly because I wonder if management is drunk on our success of late (despite how misleading it may be).

Ladd is a lesser player than Ryan...?

They have similar point production and Ladd has waaaaaaay better intangibles. Ryan is the lesser player.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I am extremely nervous about trading Ladd. He's the kind of player that you want in the playoffs.

The return would have to be obscene.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
What's up with Derek Forbort?

He was drafted as a project and remains so today. Big guy that skates well, but doesn't use his size all that well and prone to mistakes. In fact I'd say he is a lot like an Ellerby type of player, with similiar upside at this point (decent bottom pairing guy).

Holden you are the biggest Ladd fan I know.....does this deal work for both teams?

No. No chances the Kings would decimate their depth for that trade, not too mention Kings couldn't afford that even at deadline reduced rates.

As a Jets fan I'd be ok with that return though, despite my love for Ladd. He is a great character guy, great shot, etc, etc, great player but that's 1 top 6 guy (Toffoli) and two top end prospects (Pearson, Gravel) + 2nd could set up the Jets for years to come.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He was drafted as a project and remains so today. Big guy that skates well, but doesn't use his size all that well and prone to mistakes. In fact I'd say he is a lot like an Ellerby type of player, with similiar upside at this point (decent bottom pairing guy).

No. No chances the Kings would decimate their depth for that trade, not too mention Kings couldn't afford that even at deadline reduced rates.

As a Jets fan I'd be ok with that return though, despite my love for Ladd. He is a great character guy, great shot, etc, etc, great player but that's 1 top 6 guy (Toffoli) and two top end prospects (Pearson, Gravel) + 2nd could set up the Jets for years to come.

You are a fan of both teams so I appreciate your objectivity. Great value for the Jets too steep for the Kings. could Gravel play in our top 4 at some point and if so how soon if the Jets acquired him?

Hey a 2nd line of Ladd Richie Carter might get the kings a 2nd cup though Holden!

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

The Kings may not do a trade like that, but there is some precedent for it.

Jason Pominville returned two good prospects (Hackett and Larsson) a 1st and a 2nd (and the Sabres sent back a 4th). And Pominville had 1 year left on his deal.

Ladd has 2 more years on the books at a great hit, and would most likely help a cup contending team as much or more than Pominville.

Toffolli = 1st (The Wild's pick was in the top 15)
Pearson = Hackett
Gravel = Larsson
2nd = 2nd

Not saying it's good for either side, but to me at least there is precedent there.

Last edited:

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Anyone interested in Callahan?

http://www.tsn.ca/videohub/?collection=72&show=283147

7 years and 6 million per is a lot for a guy who could be wearing down. I'm a huge fan of him though and think he could work well on this team, especially if he was ever paired with Kane as the gritty guy who goes to the crease and bangs in rebounds.

Rangers could possibly even have interest in someone like Byfuglien.

Maybe a deal like Byfuglien for Callahan+Prospect(JT Miller?) and maybe another small plus and I'd very much consider it. Sounds to me like a possible "hockey deal".

Edit: I threw up a proposal on the trade board. Some people just like to watch the world burn. ;)

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Anyone interested in Callahan?

7 years and 6 million per is a lot for a guy who could be wearing down. I'm a huge fan of him though and think he could work well on this team, especially if he was ever paired with Kane as the gritty guy who goes to the crease and bangs in rebounds.

Rangers could possibly even have interest in someone like Byfuglien.

Maybe a deal like Byfuglien for Callahan+Prospect(JT Miller?) and maybe another small plus and I'd very much consider it.

Why not just wait til July and give up nothing? If you do that trade and Callahan walks it looks pretty silly.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Why not just wait til July and give up nothing? If you do that trade and Callahan walks it looks pretty silly.

Yeah, I considered having to add a conditional pick incase he does not re-sign.

I also think whoever gets him will sign him as long as they give him the term he's looking for. To me the question isn't whether he'd re-sign with us, it's whether we feel a contract like that could be viable.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Salary cap issues. Wasn't Ryan a pending UFA (or shortly expiring RFA)? After signing Perry and Getzlaf the Ducks just didn't have the room. I suspect they'd have been quite happy to keep Ryan and pay him fair market value but simply were not able to do so.

It's a similar argument to what Chevy is rumoured to be asking for Kane: the price is obscene because there's no need to be fair whatsoever from the Jets standpoint. Whether it's Kane or Ladd, the return needs to be better than what was obtained for Ryan because of the cap issues that don't exist in the Jets situation. It's only a comparable if all of the factors are similar and with Ryan they are not.

Were the Ducks to get Ladd now (and I don't want to trade Ladd) they'd only have to make the remainder of this season's salary work under the cap. Ladd's 4.x million next year fits under the newer, higher cap for next year so they can retain him if they like.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

Thanks. I hadn't followed him closely, but he was always a guy I had interest in and remembered he was a Kings prospect.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Hmmmm... how certain is it that Toffoli is a consistent top-6 guy? Are Pearson and Gravel really top end prospects? Maybe, but I am wondering whether we might need something a bit more certain, considering the risk inherent with trading captain Ladd. I say that even though I am not always enamoured with Ladd's on-ice performance. I just think that this franchise needs some consistency and to build a good "esprit-de-corps" to be successful.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Yeah, I considered having to add a conditional pick incase he does not re-sign.

I also think whoever gets him will sign him as long as they give him the term he's looking for. To me the question isn't whether he'd re-sign with us, it's whether we feel a contract like that could be viable.

Have to agree with AC here. No way does it make sense IMO to trade Buff with a big piece of the return a UFA.

Is it possible in the CBA for a team to give another team a window of time to negotiate a deal? If so, that's the only way I see that deal being anywhere close to realistic.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Offering Callahan the money would be a risky move for sure, but it could improve the team just enough (with goaltending improvement) to get us in the playoffs instead of looking in from the bubble.

But, I have a feeling we aren't the only team considering overpaying him and we likely aren't his top choice.

He'd bring a ton of character and consistent every night effort we lack. At a position of need. He's the kid of player your team needs to beat more talented teams in the post-season. A true warrior. If Clarkson got $42M total, I'd think Callahan would be seeking something around $50-52M. And someone will pay it.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Don't know where Callahan would fit on this team. We already have Ladd who is pretty much a LW version of Callahan

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
And a RW version of Ladd is...bad?

Callahan or Frolik play 2nd or 3rd line RW. Both are well suited to either role.

Yeah... Having too many character guys that produce decent offense and play solid both ways is not going to be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad