Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part XIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Jets tend to stay pretty far under the max don't they? I seem to recall looking it up during the season at some point and only being at like 45, I may be misremembering though.

I recall a Chevy interview last year and he mentioned that he expected the contract number to increase a little. It didn't.

They need to at least some AHL contracts Imwould think. I'm not sure they have enough warm bodies to fill two teams plus keep their commitment to Tulsa

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Are we really done yet? With the Laine signing we are now at 44 contracts if we include our qualified RFA (37 +7)

Contract turnover since start of last season:

out (10):
Andrew Ladd
Matt Halischuk
Adam Pardy
Grant Clitsome
Andrew MacWilliam
Thomas Raffl
Patrice Cormier
Matt Fraser
Jay Harrison
Austen Brassard

in (9):
Marko Dano
Brandon Tanev
Kyle Connor
Patrik Laine
Jamie Phillips
Shawn Matthias
Quinton Howden
Brian Strait
Nelson Nogier

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I see a bunch of depth Moose signings now to finish off the summer.
BTW, any guesses when the captaincy will be announced, perhaps end of August?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Any thoughts if we trade Trouba for MAF. I believe goaltending is our biggest concern....

Share your concern for goaltending but trade Trouba and D becomes our biggest concern.

Edit: And welcome! First post. Way to leap in to the deep end.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Contract turnover since start of last season:

out (10):
Andrew Ladd
Matt Halischuk
Adam Pardy
Grant Clitsome
Andrew MacWilliam
Thomas Raffl
Patrice Cormier
Matt Fraser
Jay Harrison
Austen Brassard

in (9):
Marko Dano
Brandon Tanev
Kyle Connor
Patrik Laine
Jamie Phillips
Shawn Matthias
Quinton Howden
Brian Strait
Nelson Nogier

That is one ugly lot that are out (exception Ladd). A few nice pieces on the in list.

Should be a better year. Why is Pavs still on this team?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Unless we're getting a good goalie on a decent contract for a low price (see: Elliott for a 2nd round pick), I don't think the Jets will be making any major moves at that position for the upcoming season.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Unless we're getting a good goalie on a decent contract for a low price (see: Elliott for a 2nd round pick), I don't think the Jets will be making any major moves at that position for the upcoming season.

Agreed. I think they will sit back and accept inferior results from Pavs on his last year.

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
I'm assuming Pavs will be our starting tender to start the season but I highly doubt he will end the season as our starter, I wouldn't be surprised if he's shipped out near the trade deadline.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I'm assuming Pavs will be our starting tender to start the season but I highly doubt he will end the season as our starter, I wouldn't be surprised if he's shipped out near the trade deadline.

I think it'll be a platoon right from the start.

Bwadlay

Feb 22, 2016
God, I hope not! I'm hoping we're in a playoff battle mid season and PoMo is forced to play more Helle and Pavs relegated to back up duties.

Can anyone think of a reason why Pavs plays more often even with superior backup?
Does he have a specific number of games required in his contract?

We moan and complain about his playing time but why do the tall foreheads insist on playing him? There has to be a reason. Why would they play an inferior goalie to the detriment of the won/loss record of the team?

Last edited:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Can anyone think of a reason why Pavs plays more often even with superior backup?

We moan and ***** about his playing time but why do the tall foreheads insist on playing him? There has to be a reason. Why would they play an inferior goalie to the detriment of the won/loss record of the team?

Management teams have always been a bit odd when it comes to evaluating goalies. Very little weight is put on things like sv%.

BrianFromAIH

Long Time Lurker
Jun 16, 2012
Warren, OH, USA

We moan and complain about his playing time but why do the tall foreheads insist on playing him? There has to be a reason. Why would they play an inferior goalie to the detriment of the won/loss record of the team?

dw_nolan_patrick_brandon.jpg

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011

The amount of money in his contract.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

We moan and ***** about his playing time but why do the tall foreheads insist on playing him? There has to be a reason. Why would they play an inferior goalie to the detriment of the won/loss record of the team?

It's a real mystery. Does management think Pavelec is good? They've not been very anxious to improve at the position - waiting for Hellebuyck seems to be Plan A. It's very strange - no other team has suffered through terrible goaltending for so long without at least actively attempting to fix it. I don't count drafting guys who might be ready in 3-4-5-or-never years or sifting through other team's discard pile as "actively attemption to fix" anything. It's insane.

Was it a soft-tank move? The team gets to Winnipeg, needs lots of work, and there are debts to pay so we're not buying our way to success (not that UFA is the answer anyway). Limp along, get good draft position, and when the team is ready then jettison the junk and *boom* perennial contenders! I'm pretty skeptical about this being the intent of Chevy and crew...though it's generally worked out - the cupboards are full of good prospects now.

The question is, will management ever be able to identify and fix our problems? I remain highly skeptical...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think that the Jets management and coaches unwisely thought / hoped that Pavs could develop into an adequate starter. Thankfully, I don't think they think that anymore, or they think that Hellebuyck is a better bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad