Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part XIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I actually am beginning to think this may be the primary reason. Jets management plays Pavs because they are paying starter's money.

It would explain why they played Jokinen more than they should've. Mark Stuart. Thorburn. Hainsey.

#Contracts

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Management teams have always been a bit odd when it comes to evaluating goalies. Very little weight is put on things like sv%.

Usually GMs can at least identify that goaltending is a problem and try to do something about it. In fact, almost universally, GMs can identify and attempt to address goaltending problems:

[...]There are nine teams that haven't made a significant roster move to improve goaltending since 2011. Here's a list of the teams and their starters:

Rangers - Lundqvist
Canadiens - Price
Capitals: Holtby
Blackhawks: Crawford
Kings: Quick
Predators: Rinne
Red Wings: Howard
Bruins: Rask
Jets: Pavelec

Anyone look out of place to you? Can you name a team in the least 20 years that stuck with a goalie as bad as Pavelec for as long as Chevy has? Historic dithering,

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Stanley pick is so old school, it has me a bit worried about Hillier.

Actually, the assessment of the pick is so old school while the pick itself was based off of forward thinking.

The instant conclusion many made when we drafted Stanley, was that we did so simply because he has size which is equated to potential.

Reality we are seeing, after actually watching the player, is that he is very skilled, and the perceived potential was based off his skill, not his size.

Not worried at all.....

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Actually, the assessment of the pick is so old school while the pick itself was based off of forward thinking.

The instant conclusion many made when we drafted Stanley, was that we did so simply because he has size which is equated to potential.

Reality we are seeing, after actually watching the player, is that he is very skilled, and the perceived potential was based off his skill, not his size.

Not worried at all.....

Drawing conclusions from watching a few drills is a flawed methodology for evaluating potential. The fact that Stanley doesn't look out of place next to McCrea, Kostalek, Nogier, Glover, Green and Poolman isn't really evidence of anything. But with the way Stanley's been panned here, I'm sure just proving he doesn't ankle skate or need to hang onto the boards to get around probably qualifies as exceeding expectations... :laugh:

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Drawing conclusions from watching a few drills is a flawed methodology for evaluating potential. The fact that Stanley doesn't look out of place next to McCrea, Kostalek, Nogier, Glover, Green and Poolman isn't really evidence of anything. But with the way Stanley's been panned here, I'm sure just proving he doesn't ankle skate or need to hang onto the boards to get around probably qualifies as exceeding expectations... :laugh:

Don't know if it has been reported but I took a close up picture of Stanley's skates and he wears these to help him balance !!!!!

B5T7-cXCAAAMgvA.jpg

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

This made me laugh hard.

Lets not draw conclusions based off of watching a player, but rather, lets make big proclamations by not watching that player, in lieu of looking at stats then declaring what type of player they are.

That doesn't seem flawed whatsoever.:laugh:

I think what we are going to see with Stanley, is that those who judged him purely off his stats, have no clue what type of player he is.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Usually GMs can at least identify that goaltending is a problem and try to do something about it. In fact, almost universally, GMs can identify and attempt to address goaltending problems:

Ah...now herein lies the rub. Pavelec's deficiencies have always been blamed on a sub standard team in front of him that played poor defensive hockey. The year that we made the post season and was great both possession and defensive wise...he posted a .920. That only solidified the "blame-it-on-the-team" mentality.

Luck of Duck

Jan 20, 2013
Don't know if it has been reported but I took a close up picture of Stanley's skates and he wears these to help him balance !!!!!

B5T7-cXCAAAMgvA.jpg

The **** are those, and where were those when I was a kid!? (OK, lets be honest, what I would have required is a more like a hamster ball :laugh:)

Looks like those would be good if you have loose ankle joints.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
I actually am beginning to think this may be the primary reason. Jets management plays Pavs because they are paying starter's money.

Eventually you have to figure out if you want to win or you dont. Dragging along bad contracts until they expire while continuing to play those players in SIGNIFICANT roles means you will never ever win a cup. Every team signs players to bad contracts, the difference with us, is that through sheer stubborness we will continue to play said players until the contract expires.

You cant operate a NHL team like that, I dont think its loyalty, I think its being cheap.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I'm with Gm0ney: I think the Jets have been sandbagging while they restock the cupboards. Very, very far fetched, but I can't help but think of this movie moment when this thought crosses my mind seeing players like Thor constantly trotted out:

maniacal_laugh_austin_powers-compressor.gif

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm with Gm0ney: I think the Jets have been sandbagging while they restock the cupboards. Very, very far fetched, but I can't help but think of this movie moment when this thought crosses my mind seeing players like Thor constantly trotted out:

maniacal_laugh_austin_powers-compressor.gif

I sure do hope you guys are right. I would rather believe that than the alternative.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
The **** are those, and where were those when I was a kid!? (OK, lets be honest, what I would have required is a more like a hamster ball :laugh:)

Looks like those would be good if you have loose ankle joints.

Better question is who buys Grafs for a kid learning to skate?

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario

Not worried at all.....

I feel like Stanley will end up like Chara (not as good but I meant his development path). I know people who see first round pick and they think the guy should be in the NHL that year or the next. This pick was thinking 3 or 4 years in the future. He has the tools and is very raw so grab him, give him the time to develop (would probably need 2 years in the AHL).

The NHL has become such a young mans league that you're perceived a bust if you're not established in your draft +2 or 3 year. Which isnt the case for some guys. If he takes 3 or 4 years and we end up with a second pairing guy from this I'm fine with that.

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
Just a thought I had re: expansion. I know there was a tweet indicating a mutual desire to sign Matty P. If we do though we would have to protect him, so why don't we not resign him until after the expansion draft that way we don't have to protect him?

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015
Just a thought I had re: expansion. I know there was a tweet indicating a mutual desire to sign Matty P. If we do though we would have to protect him, so why don't we not resign him until after the expansion draft that way we don't have to protect him?

'Cause homeboy wants to get paid yo! It's an interesting idea. But they are getting something done before that it sounds like. Why not just check out free agency at that point. If he had a good year he would fetch quite a return on the market. Jets will wrap him up now. Will be interesting to see how we handle expansion though. Enstrom's NMC kinda puts a wrench in things.

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
'Cause homeboy wants to get paid yo! It's an interesting idea. But they are getting something done before that it sounds like. Why not just check out free agency at that point. If he had a good year he would fetch quite a return on the market. Jets will wrap him up now. Will be interesting to see how we handle expansion though. Enstrom's NMC kinda puts a wrench in things.

I don't think Enstrom's NMC gets in the way because I think we protect him either way. But if he wants to come back anyway and we will pay him might as well not sign him and then we can protect one of Dano/Lowry/Armia/Copp and only expose three of them.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I don't think Enstrom's NMC gets in the way because I think we protect him either way. But if he wants to come back anyway and we will pay him might as well not sign him and then we can protect one of Dano/Lowry/Armia/Copp and only expose three of them.

If I was Perreault I would be pissed if the Jets did that. That puts all the risk and none of the reward on him and if he gets injured or has a down season he wouldn't get as much money as he could if he just signs an extension right now.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That's been suggested several times before. Its a valid tactic but it is full of risk. I would rather extend him and have him safely wrapped up for a few years. Deal with the expansion draft in one of the several other ways possible.

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
If I was Perreault I would be pissed if the Jets did that. That puts all the risk and none of the reward on him and if he gets injured or has a down season he wouldn't get as much money as he could if he just signs an extension right now.

I guess so. But if they had handshake agreement maybe he would do it.

That's been suggested several times before. Its a valid tactic but it is full of risk. I would rather extend him and have him safely wrapped up for a few years. Deal with the expansion draft in one of the several other ways possible.

Sorry, must have missed this idea. Wasn't on the board for a while and I have a tendency to gloss over some posts.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I guess so. But if they had handshake agreement maybe he would do it.

Sorry, must have missed this idea. Wasn't on the board for a while and I have a tendency to gloss over some posts.

No problem. Only pointing out that it has been discussed. It must be a good idea at some level. Lots of people think of it.:)

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
Perreault has earned an extension, he's been a solid player for the jets and while we shouldnt break the bank, I think something around 3.5-4 per year for 3-4 years is fair. He can play anywhere on the teams top 9 and has solid corsi #s. Also think he might have a better year next season (has a career shooting % of 14 and shot 6.8 this year)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad