Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part XIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Did they really offer him for Trouba? Do you actually know thathat from your sources or are you just connecting the dots?

Sorry sully I was away from this thread.

I was speculating Edmonton would have had Trouba in the mix........I think Hall is a heck of a talent but would prefer we pass on that deal.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It's so frustrating to have such a wealth and diversity in our forward group yet have players in our D and G units who we KNOW will be playing (and losing) games for the Jets.

I've seen some say we have a decent D corps, but we have serious, serious issues. Our top 4's success is predicated on moving a righty to left -- a situation that has not looked good for us so far. If one of our righties felt good there, that move would have been made ages ago.

We are missing a top end LHD and that mid depth. If we could bite the bullet, trade some of our great forward depth away for a legit top 2 LHD (I know, they're everywhere, right?) then that really solves a lot of problems. Even then you know the Jets org will not be able to help themselves and will have Stu in for every game he's healthy and I am fearful that Strait is going to be first guy in whenever we have an injury. He's a real "True North" kinda guy.

If our D corps is healthy all year we are going to have issues in our own zone. If we have a few injuries, it's going to get ugly.

Of course, we also have one more year of Pavelec to look forward to. I'd bet he doesn't play another game in the NHL after his contract is up. The good news here is the org has shown a bit more willingness to play other goalies -- hopefully Pav is the one playing 20 or less games this season.

I think we are going to need to score 3+ goals a night to make the playoffs. That is a tall task in today's league but at least with this forward group you don't laugh hysterically at the thought.

One last plea Chevy and Mo:

- Trade Stuart
- Waive Pav
- Get a GOOD LHD
- PLAY POSTMA
- Ease Morrissey in

If we magically did these things I would feel so excited for this season, for more reasons than watching our exciting young talent -- I'd feel like we had a solid shot at making the playoffs. Sigh.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I don't see nearly the issue with our D as you do Jet. And I'm not sure what you're seeing. Our issues aren't the top 4 at all, even with Trouba on his opposite side. Our issues are the 5 and 6 spot. And the 7th...and the 8th... you get my point.

I do agree we need a LHD but it doesn't have to be a top pairing guy. We have two top pairing guys and two 2nd pairing guys.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I don't see nearly the issue with our D as you do Jet. And I'm not sure what you're seeing. Our issues aren't the top 4 at all, even with Trouba on his opposite side. Our issues are the 5 and 6 spot. And the 7th...and the 8th... you get my point.

I do agree we need a LHD but it doesn't have to be a top pairing guy. We have two top pairing guys and two 2nd pairing guys.

This. Who has a better D, Pittsburg or winnipeg??

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

To each their own. I don't think Trouba likes playing the left side. I think he's uncomfortable there and I understand it. When you play one side your entire career your muscle memory and abilities are all developed with players attacking you a certain way. When you play the off side, everything is backwards. Even pulling the puck off the boards is more difficult.

It's true a lot of defensemen don't mind playing either side. Unfortunately, I don't think we have any of those, at least when you talk about our big 3 on the right side.

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015
It's so frustrating to have such a wealth and diversity in our forward group yet have players in our D and G units who we KNOW will be playing (and losing) games for the Jets.

I've seen some say we have a decent D corps, but we have serious, serious issues. Our top 4's success is predicated on moving a righty to left -- a situation that has not looked good for us so far. If one of our righties felt good there, that move would have been made ages ago.

We are missing a top end LHD and that mid depth. If we could bite the bullet, trade some of our great forward depth away for a legit top 2 LHD (I know, they're everywhere, right?) then that really solves a lot of problems. Even then you know the Jets org will not be able to help themselves and will have Stu in for every game he's healthy and I am fearful that Strait is going to be first guy in whenever we have an injury. He's a real "True North" kinda guy.

If our D corps is healthy all year we are going to have issues in our own zone. If we have a few injuries, it's going to get ugly.

Of course, we also have one more year of Pavelec to look forward to. I'd bet he doesn't play another game in the NHL after his contract is up. The good news here is the org has shown a bit more willingness to play other goalies -- hopefully Pav is the one playing 20 or less games this season.

I think we are going to need to score 3+ goals a night to make the playoffs. That is a tall task in today's league but at least with this forward group you don't laugh hysterically at the thought.

- Trade Stuart
- Waive Pav
- Get a GOOD LHD
- PLAY POSTMA
- Ease Morrissey in

If we magically did these things I would feel so excited for this season, for more reasons than watching our exciting young talent -- I'd feel like we had a solid shot at making the playoffs. Sigh.

Couple thoughts...

Strait signed a one year deal for the league minimum. Less than what Chiarot, Postma or Stuart makes. This is a Pardy replacement at best. No cause for alarm.

Pavelec I think is here this year. As second fiddle to Helly. It could work out nicely. He might do well with less starts. As long as Helly is number one I don't think the number two guy would look much different statistically speaking between Pav and Hutch.

Our top 4 D look pretty solid. Many teams would love that top 4. Chevy mentioned in his presser yesterday something about Trouba playing on the left and eating up big minutes. Best case scenario is that Morrissey makes the big club this year. Assuming no trades are made before camp. A bottom pairing of Morrissey and Postma could be good. Postma's numbers are nice and Morrissey has upside and is a smart player. Chiarot and one of the others in the press box.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Couple thoughts...

Strait signed a one year deal for the league minimum. Less than what Chiarot, Postma or Stuart makes. This is a Pardy replacement at best. No cause for alarm.

Pavelec I think is here this year. As second fiddle to Helly. It could work out nicely. He might do well with less starts. As long as Helly is number one I don't think the number two guy would look much different statistically speaking between Pav and Hutch.

Our top 4 D look pretty solid. Many teams would love that top 4. Chevy mentioned in his presser yesterday something about Trouba playing on the left and eating up big minutes. Best case scenario is that Morrissey makes the big club this year. Assuming no trades are made before camp. A bottom pairing of Morrissey and Postma could be good. Postma's numbers are nice and Morrissey has upside and is a smart player. Chiarot and one of the others in the press box.

Sure... all good observations. Keep in mind, I am not freaking out here. I just see the same chronic issues cropping up this year but the difference is, in earlier years we had no choice. We simply did not have the organizational depth. That is no longer the case.

- Strait is, pretty much universally panned as one of the very worst defensemen to play in the NHL last year. There was absolutely ZERO reason to pick him up especially when you see what a guy like Weircioch went for.

- Again, people say "Just play Trouba on the left side!" Sure, that's the plan, and I really hope he can get comfy there, but we have had this issue with a strong RHD and weak LHD for years. Why do you think no one has moved over yet? Because none of these guys feel comfortable over there. You'd think that at least Buff would have moved over to the left, seeing that he's been a forward and playing a position really isn't something he's big on anyway :laugh: They haven't moved anyone over because the players I am sure have expressed that they don't feel good on the opposite side.

As for the rest of my items that you rebutted... you are right. Pav will be here, etc. etc. Remember this is a wish list for me, nothing more.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I'm still thinking that a trade with the avs happens...

Trouba and burmi/lowry for
Landeskog and one of their LHD bigras or zadorov maybe

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

- Trade Stuart
- Waive Pav
- Get a GOOD LHD
- PLAY POSTMA
- Ease Morrissey in

I don't think you can play Postma if you're unwilling to move a righty to the left side. He's 4th on the chart for right handed defencemen and won't get in without one of the other 3 being hurt or moved to the left.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
To each their own. I don't think Trouba likes playing the left side. I think he's uncomfortable there and I understand it. When you play one side your entire career your muscle memory and abilities are all developed with players attacking you a certain way. When you play the off side, everything is backwards. Even pulling the puck off the boards is more difficult.

It's true a lot of defensemen don't mind playing either side. Unfortunately, I don't think we have any of those, at least when you talk about our big 3 on the right side.

And while that may be true, that doesn't mean he isn't still really good even on his wrong side.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
As soon as one of our top 4 gets injured, which you know is inevitable, our "depth" is in serious trouble.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011

- Trade Stuart
- Waive Pav
- Get a GOOD LHD
- PLAY POSTMA
- Ease Morrissey in

And press box duty for Peluso and Scoreburn.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Why are we thinking Postma will suddenly be playing? What's changed from last season?

We all wanted him in there and yet he was banished to the press box nearly all season.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

- Trade Stuart
- Waive Pav
- Get a GOOD LHD
- PLAY POSTMA
- Ease Morrissey in

It all comes down to playing our top 4 players for top 4 minutes. We aren't the only team with a L/R imbalance on D. In fact many teams seem to. Some even worse than us. The one difference is that every other team seems to have lots of LHD and a shortage of right shots. They seem to take it in stride. Players move over as needed. They may lose a bit in the process but nobody makes an issue of it. With such a league wide shortage of RHD I find it incredible that we can't trade one of ours for an at least equal lefty.

You could be right Jet but the only evidence that none of them like the left is that it keeps not being done. I suspect it is Maurice who doesn't like it though I don't know why. Judging by appearances it is that he wants to play Stu and he can only do that if he uses Trouba to mitigate the horribleness.

Couple thoughts...

If it is a Pardy replacement at best what is it at worst? Why do we need a Pardy replacement? We have a full complement of 7 D without him. We have 8 if Morrissey sticks. Depth in case injuries get that bad? Both Kostalek and Melchiori are probably no worse than Strait and maybe better. If they wanted more insurance then surely there is better out there. Carle is better. No really, he is. Nikitin, Quincy, Seidenberg, Grossman just to name a few LHD still available are ALL better.

Sure... all good observations. Keep in mind, I am not freaking out here. I just see the same chronic issues cropping up this year but the difference is, in earlier years we had no choice. We simply did not have the organizational depth. That is no longer the case.

- Strait is, pretty much universally panned as one of the very worst defensemen to play in the NHL last year. There was absolutely ZERO reason to pick him up especially when you see what a guy like Weircioch went for.

- Again, people say "Just play Trouba on the left side!" Sure, that's the plan, and I really hope he can get comfy there, but we have had this issue with a strong RHD and weak LHD for years. Why do you think no one has moved over yet? Because none of these guys feel comfortable over there. You'd think that at least Buff would have moved over to the left, seeing that he's been a forward and playing a position really isn't something he's big on anyway :laugh: They haven't moved anyone over because the players I am sure have expressed that they don't feel good on the opposite side.

As for the rest of my items that you rebutted... you are right. Pav will be here, etc. etc. Remember this is a wish list for me, nothing more.

Basically I agree with your OP. There is a fairly short list of fairly easily doable things that really get this team into the picture. The remaining ? would be about how all our young forwards shake out. The worst thing about that though is that we might need to wait a year to get them some experience and to sort out precisely which are the best ones.

Your list slightly modified:
Stu - to the Moose or at least PB - trade might be unrealistic
Pav - yes waive or at least consign to the bench
Get a good LHD, or near ready prospect
Play Morrissey and Postma as 3rd pair. Good grief.
Don't let Brian Strait anywhere near the Jets under any circumstances.

With the league wide shortage of RHD and his good contract Myers should be the centre piece in a trade with one of the many teams with a RHD shortage. The acquisition of Matthias makes one of our good young bottom 6 F's surplus. Lowry is the first to come to mind to add to a package.

Edit: Meant to say that if we get the LHD we need then Trouba to left side becomes moot. Doesn't matter whether it is him or Maurice who is uncomfortable.

Last edited:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I've advocated for awhile that we'be needed a top four LHD and I dot understand why people continue to say that we dont need one. The goal here is to win hockey games, and we have spent enough time building through the draft. Especially after drafting Laine 2nd PA. We have the prime years of Wheeler, Little and Buff to think about right now and how to best to maximize that output. As of right now they are our best Winger, Center and Dman until otherwise proven. If we don't take the next step with them on the roster...when do we do so? Are we supposed to wait until Ehlers/Connor/Laine Scheifele and Trouba are at the level they are at right now?

The plan has always been to build through the draft...and we've done that. So what are we waiting for? An invitation to finally be a good team?

If not now...then when?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I've advocated for awhile that we'be needed a top four LHD and I dot understand why people continue to say that we dont need one. The goal here is to win hockey games, and we have spent enough time building through the draft. Especially after drafting Laine 2nd PA. We have the prime years of Wheeler, Little and Buff to think about right now and how to best to maximize that output. As of right now they are our best Winger, Center and Dman until otherwise proven. If we don't take the next step with them on the roster...when do we do so? Are we supposed to wait until Ehlers/Connor/Laine Scheifele and Trouba are at the level they are at right now?

The plan has always been to build through the draft...and we've done that. So what are we waiting for? An invitation to finally be a good team?

If not now...then when?

Our top 4 D are Buff, Trouba, Enstrom and Myers. Which are you looking to replace? Which would you expose in the expansion draft at the end of this season?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
And while that may be true, that doesn't mean he isn't still really good even on his wrong side.

Stats and eye test indicate that Trouba is actually very effective on the left side. The problem was that Maurice thought that Stuart deserved to play a regular shift with 15+ minutes of ice. The only option is to pair him with a player like Trouba who can keep the pair's head above water.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Our top 4 D are Buff, Trouba, Enstrom and Myers. Which are you looking to replace? Which would you expose in the expansion draft at the end of this season?

Out of those four, myers.

I'm just saying that running...

Enstrom Trouba
Top4 Buff
Morrissey Myers

Is a way better D core than

Enstrom myers
Trouba Buff
Stuart PostMA

Or even Morrissey Postma for that matter.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Out of those four, myers.

I'm just saying that running...

Enstrom Trouba
Top4 Buff
Morrissey Myers

Is a way better D core than

Enstrom myers
Trouba Buff
Stuart PostMA

Or even Morrissey Postma for that matter.

Agreed, but you could also get a good bottom pairing LHD who you don't need to protect in expansion. Morrissey should fit that bill, I would think, with Chiarot as an option. Problem is that Maurice doesn't seem to recognize how bad Stuart is.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

If not now...then when?

Good post! When is the future going to arrive?

Valid questions but some obvious answers. We need to acquire a LHD who will be expansion exempt. The obvious trade chip is Myers. Of course there is no guarantee of finding a suitable trade partner but Philly looks good for it. They have room to protect another D and they have near ready LHD prospects. Almost all their NHL D, good and bad are LHD and so are their best prospects.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Agreed, but you could also get a good bottom pairing LHD who you don't need to protect in expansion. Morrissey should fit that bill, I would think, with Chiarot as an option. Problem is that Maurice doesn't seem to recognize how bad Stuart is.

Depending on how well Morrissey develops, we could easily forget about another LHD and do as you said. Personally, if I'm Chevy, I would have tried to trade Stuart by now...even if for no other reason...to just be rid of him.

I would take a flyer on Carle (who despite his deficiencies is an upgrade on Stuart and can actually move the puck) and run Morrissey with Trouba.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You could be right Jet but the only evidence that none of them like the left is that it keeps not being done. I suspect it is Maurice who doesn't like it though I don't know why. Judging by appearances it is that he wants to play Stu and he can only do that if he uses Trouba to mitigate the horribleness.

The only thing that makes me really wonder is that Noel didn't do it either. We've had the same D coach the whole time -- I can't imagine Huddy would be preventing a move but perhaps he's measured the players comfort level with it.

I think Bogo did it for a while and was atrocious. Not sure if we've ever seen Buff or Myers do it for any length of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad