Post-Game Talk: Jets fall to the Knights 3 -1

Mountlaine

Feb 8, 2018
If Laine continues to be this bad they should scratch him and give Roslovic a chance on that line.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't understand what game some of you watched. Take note we need a goal and goalie is out. Little on the ice in place of Ehlers for the 6 we usually play with goalie out. Little was good tonight. Obviously it is dissapointing we need more then good. We need someone or multiple of Perreault, Little, Lowry, Ehlers, and to a lesser extent Laine to chip in some goals when we need it. You also said why pick on Laine instead of the vets. Give me a break, he is a super star and our leading goal guy in the regular season. Did Crosby or Ovy have awful games in the playoffs at that age and people say free pass because of age. He is a proven star and wants to be the best goal scorer/ get paid stupid money.... plain and simple show up. The age thing is a joke. Take responsibilty for poor play
I don't think Crosby or Ovy were in the playoffs at 19/20.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
They started well, lost their focus near the end of the first. I was shouting at the TV when they turned it over like 3 times in a row "WAKE UP YOU'RE GOING TO GET SCORED ON" and of course they did.

The #1 area that Patrik Laine needs to work on is puck retrieval. He always seems to lazily one hand poke at the puck while standing or coasting. He also gives up possession in traffic way too easily. Pre concussion Laine used to dangle with the puck and keep it away from the opposition.

I didn't expect the Jets to sweep the series, it just sucks when you shoot yourself in the foot.

The great news is that the Knights didn't beat the Jets, they beat themselves. This team hasn't done that often this year.

Hopefully they learned from that and can take both games in Vegas.

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
After that Nashville series nobody should be walking to any ledges after a close loss where our team was not even dominated.

Vegas buried every chance they got and the Jets never had any bounces go their way.

Home ice don't mean **** in any series.
I'm on the ledge.

Vegas outplayed the Jets. Jets simply can't keep up with them and now Vegas has figured out the Jets. Doesn't seem like there's anything left in the tank for Winnipeg. We're outcoached. Outworked. Outchanced. I thought Vegas was the strongest team after the first round. They play the best team game I've ever seen. They all buy into the system and do it perfectly. At least Jets managed to win 1 game in the series. It's over in 5.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
2135czm.png

God I hate TSN.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I'm on the ledge.

Vegas outplayed the Jets. Jets simply can't keep up with them and now Vegas has figured out the Jets. Doesn't seem like there's anything left in the tank for Winnipeg. We're outcoached. Outworked. Outchanced. I thought Vegas was the strongest team after the first round. They play the best team game I've ever seen. They all buy into the system and do it perfectly. At least Jets managed to win 1 game in the series. It's over in 5.
wtf is this lol.

We lost one game, and Vegas barely, if at all, outplayed us. Relax.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
The Jets were the equal or better team for 55 of the 60 minutes.

One really solid sequence in the Jet's end resulted in a goal and then and awful change shortly after resulted in another.

I'm not worried about this series at all.

Reactions: thereturn

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
Jets looked tired mentally and physically. Just not sharp. I wonder if the Preds series is taking a toll. I hope they can recover.

They really need more from Ehlers and Laine. That was a really bad game from Ehlers, again.

I'd like to see Morrow or Kulikov in for Chiarot. Enstrom and Chiarot are no threat on LD in the offensive zone.

I'd consider Roslovic in for Tanev to generate more possession and offense.

Chiarot looks just fine to me but Enstrom on the other hand not at all, this isn't Enstrom of old. As much as I respect the man he just doesn't have it anymore, every time he touches the puck I get nervous as he is extremely weak on the puck and gets out muscled most of the time which occasionally leads to a lazy penalty. Put Morrow in if Kuli isn't ready to go.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I think we will be fine and come back strong tomorrow night, but it sure is odd how massive the momentum swing is for the Jets. All through the playoffs we have been like this. One world-beater game, then we look like we simply don't care. I don't understand it.

Last night (and others in the playoffs) they needed some emotion. It looked to me that Wheeler was the only person playing with any emotion most of the night. Even though he didn't have a great game, he was busting his ass out there. If we get in those lulls, someone has to have a huge hit or a big scrum to wake the team up.

Someone also has to let the coach know how to deal with a team protecting a lead. I'm being facetious because I'm sure he knows, but we don't adjust. Don't meander up the ice, go in with speed! If they want to stop you, they are going to have to trip or hook or slash. Don't try the cute little passes in the neutral zone, try some stretch passes to stretch out their D and make them think about it.

Nights like this they really have to stop looking for the cute plays, they just aren't there when the opposing team is defending well. Get traffic and pucks to the net. Vegas was more than content to let us cycle along the boards until we lost possession.

Finally, are we actually TRYING to avoid hitting our opponent? It looks like we put more effort into stopping before a hit than it would take to just coast into a guy.

Anyway, like I said in the beginning... I expect a bounce back game tomorrow, but I wish they would bring their A game every night in the WCF. They worked their entire lives to get to this point, but it sure doesn't show sometimes.

Jets in 6.

Reactions: Board Bard

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I'm on the ledge.

A> We're not outcoached, in fact Gallant was cited as one of the few coaches that was worse than Maurice when people floated the idea of replacing Maurice with him.

B> I haven't reviewed the xGF / xGA charts, but even the eye test shows the Jets had a lot of chances and a significant factor in Vegas's win was getting a number of breaks, not the least of which was getting away with a lot of fouls. Refs review the tapes too. Reffing will get better. Like Wheeler said, outside of a short black hole in the first period, Winnipeg's game was fine.

C> Vegas looked like the strongest team in the first round and indeed after the second because they played BY FAR the easiest opposition en route to round 3.

D> Vegas to win the series in 5? Well, that's certainly a prediction. It's literally the least likely of all 6 remaining outcomes. Winnipeg was a favorite to start this series. They remain a slight favorite.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
We've lost 5 games so far.

2017 Penguins lost 9 games.
2016 Penguins lost 8 games.
2015 Hawks lost 7 games.
2014 Kings lost 10 games.
2013 Hawks lost 7 games.
2012 LA Kings lost 4 games.
2011 Bruins lost 9 games.

Considering how young the players are, we are doing fine so far. But Vegas is scary for sure. No individuals, just a well-oiled machine. Kinda like team Finland used to be. A no-name team being better than the sum of it's parts.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
One thing to note....Vegas only had 7 hits in the game. Jets outhit Vegas 19-7 or something like that. Just goes to show...you don't necessarily need to hit to win the game. I can't remember which coach it was, but he said something like, 'in the perfect game we would have 0 hits. Because that would mean we had the puck 100 percent of the time'. If you lead your team in hits it probably means your possession stats are kinda crappy. :)

Reactions: thegr8one66 and GNP

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Some of the hot takes in this thread :laugh:

Enstrom out for Morrow
Roslo in for Tanev or LAINE?

Goodness.

The Jets played just fine for most of this game. The players in the lineup are the right players. They just need to keep focus. They allowed Vegas in this game and series, they can overpower them again.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
“The first goal was a couple of turnovers,” Stastny said. “I turned it over by the net and (Hellebuyck) makes a good save, and then I kind of tried to jump over him and I kind of actually take his (stick) knob so I get him twisted a little bit.

“The second goal was the same thing. It was just a turnover, kind of a lack of communication with the line change. So, two goals right there.”

“We didn’t do anything clean, we didn’t do anything quickly,” Jets head coach Paul Maurice said. “That part I think was true for the whole game and we want to be better there.”

‘They could have scored four’: Winnipeg Jets bemoan the few careless minutes that cost them Game 2

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Totally agree. People were in panic mode after the Jets lost games 4 and 6 to the Predators. It's not always a matter of the Jets having a bad game. There is always an opponent that is a good team as well. Let's not forget that Vegas finished the season with 109 points and then knocked off the Kings in 4 straight which is no easy task. It was only the first time ever this past season that Winnipeg won in regulation time in Los Angeles. In the next round, Vegas opened up the series by pounding San Jose 7-0. The Golden Knights are a good team led by a very good coach. The reality is that there is only a small degree of separation between all NHL teams. I think we can remain confident in the Jets abilities especially after eliminating such a good team as Nashville. That was also no easy task.

:jets

Absolutely spot-on post. Hockey is not a player-versus-self sport. There exists another team, almost always nearly as good as you are, that will interfere with your plans and throw you curveballs and mess you up -- just as you do to them. Those are all events out of your control, to say nothing of the events (like reffing and puck luck) that are beyond both teams' control. Games cannot be won through sheer force of will.

Having said that, I maintain confidence that Winnipeg is the better team in numerous aspects (including coaching) but there are few soup cans in the NHL and certainly none in the playoffs. And two games, FFS. Even as the 65-35 favorite at each home game they were billed as, that still means the Jets were likelier than not to lose 1 or 2 games at home than they were to win both at home. The math is left as an exercise to the reader :P

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Some of the hot takes in this thread :laugh:

Enstrom out for Morrow
Roslo in for Tanev or LAINE?

Goodness.

The Jets played just fine for most of this game. The players in the lineup are the right players. They just need to keep focus. They allowed Vegas in this game and series, they can overpower them again.

My favorites are the nebulous ones. 'We got outcoached and we should have called a timeout after that goal'. That's a classic, time-proof critique that you can apply to any game, any loss, for any team, and you don't have to break down any events or individual performances. Heck, don't even need to watch the game or know who was dressed. I can just come in here post that little pearl of wisdom and MIC DROP.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I don't think Crosby or Ovy were in the playoffs at 19/20.

Crosby's made the playoffs every season since he was 19, at 20 they lost in the Cup final and at 21 he won his first cup.

I'm sure everyone knows the Capitals playoff history at this point, but Ovi didn't make the playoffs until his draft+3 season. The Capitals have only missed the playoffs once (13-14) since that first appearance by Ovechkin.

Not to say Crosby and Ovechkin are comparable at all to Laine, because they're not, but Laine was the Jets leader in goals for the regular season. You have to expect him to be better in that area at least.

Ovechkin's first 3 playoff appearances:
Season AgeGPGAP
07-08 217459
08-09 2214111021
09-10 2375510
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Ovi led the Capitals in scoring in each of the 3 playoff appearances.

Crosby's first 3 playoff appearances:
SeasonAge GPGAP
06-07 195325
07-08 202062127
08-09 :stanley: 2124151631
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Laine's an easy target for criticism because he isn't scoring goals, which is what he does best.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Jets are 8-1 in the playoffs when scoring first and 1-4 when they don't. And the one game they did win when not scoring first was the once-in-a-decade come back from 3-0 against Nashville.

So if they Jets don't score first it's basically over.

Reactions: thegr8one66

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Jets are 8-1 in the playoffs when scoring first and 1-4 when they don't. And the one game they did win when not scoring first was the once-in-a-decade come back from 3-0 against Nashville.

So if they Jets don't score first it's basically over.

Once in a decade? It happened 14 times this season alone.

Statistics for NHL teams winning while trailing during the game

And even if you were right, that they "basically always lose when scored on first", even ignoring their loss when they scored first, your own figures would have the Jets as a significant 8:5 favorite in each and every game they played. So where's the panic button part come in?

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
“The first goal was a couple of turnovers,” Stastny said. “I turned it over by the net and (Hellebuyck) makes a good save, and then I kind of tried to jump over him and I kind of actually take his (stick) knob so I get him twisted a little bit.

“The second goal was the same thing. It was just a turnover, kind of a lack of communication with the line change. So, two goals right there.”

“We didn’t do anything clean, we didn’t do anything quickly,” Jets head coach Paul Maurice said. “That part I think was true for the whole game and we want to be better there.”

‘They could have scored four’: Winnipeg Jets bemoan the few careless minutes that cost them Game 2

I love Stastny's interviews. Somehow they seem more honest and less scripted than the usual interview.

A great pick-up to0. If somehow we could keep him next season, I would not be upset.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Big cause for concern now -- after watching last night's game, I'm now worried that the Jet's can win this series. Vegas plays much like Nashville--very fast with a fast transition game, but with no back end scoring, being the only difference.

I think if the Jet's cannot get scoring from Ehlers and Laine, amd Little and Perrault, they are going to be in trouble. We just cannot rely on Scheiffele, Connor and Wheeler, because that depends on just one line rolling. I hope we can get it going.

For those on the board here that were calling for an easy series, and a sweep -- I can only say this. This will go 6 games for sure --and quite likely 7. I felt that Vegas controlled the play, and were able to break in clean on Helle, pretty much at will--which is not good.

The good sign to me was--we played a good 2nd period -- I hope the Jet's can win that next game, because if they get behind 2-1 in the series-- you'd have to give the edge to Vegas. This will be a very close series--I'm hoping the Jet's can pull this out.

I don't like what I saw in Game 2 --"at all." :eek:

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Atlanta has nothing to do with anything right now so the backhanded comment can gtfo. The people that still support the team through the move are as committed and as deeply passionate as anyone in Winnipeg.

As a Winnipegger, I feel this uncontrollable desire to apologize to all of the Atlanta fans who've supported this team since the move due to posts like the one in this thread. (Guess that just makes me an average Canadian? :laugh:)

I'm on the ledge.

I think you forgot the :sarcasm: in that post.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad