Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Allstar winger and mid pair cheap for two years? Heinola is near waiver fodder and there’s no guarantee Mcgroarty signs next year.

All star winger who's essentially a rental, that went to the All Star game because someone from every team has to be selected, and a well past it Fowler who has an NTC anyway that would surely include the Jets?

Also Heinola is not waiver fodder, he made the team last year except for his injury, and Dillon was not re-signed partly to get Heinola into the lineup.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I dunno why you're generalizing when i said i would do it (value-wise) and gave the reason why management might not (need-wise).

Things aren't black or white in real world hockey land like they are on HF, there's a lot of grey (teams look to make trades that are close value-wise but work better need-wise). When there's an A prospect that fills a big organizational need then odds are that he won't be a name mentioned in trade talks.

When you're the one making the offer you have the advantage of offering pieces that are expendable to you (which doesn't mean that they're bad), Dvorak is a solid 2 way center who's easily capable of 40-50 points a season but he just doesn't fit MTL's timeline (he was acquired during MB's time to compete).

Beck's upside is what Dvorak can top out at in a good situation but the difference is Beck is young (and developed by the team, there's a certain comfort level between the team and the player) and fits with MTL's rebuild timeline... are the Jets rebuilding or competing? There's no guarantee that Beck can become what Dvorak is, it's just that Dvorak is gonna be gone by the time our contention window kicks in.

If you read my post again, I never said anything about you or your post (quoted it bc it echoed the Habs GM's comments to a degree). I was more responding the the Habs GM's comments, he seems to be thinking pool A is unavailable for any lateral moves, but pool B he's willing to trade & far more disposable, problem is pool B isn't all that attractive in any trade of Rutger's level specfically in any one for one situation and four quarters isn't the same as a dollar.

I didn't comment on Beck or Dvorak, but being you brought them up. Dvorak isn't even a piece Chevy (IMO) would consider in any one for one trade (a UFA & turning 30 years old in Feb), I'm not entirely sure he even has positive trade value TBH but I'm not slagging on Dvorak, but he's a non starter. Beck I wouldn't even do one for one, his upside is too low IMO, looks to be more of a 3C potential. Beck is a center which is good but his upside is too low, again not slagging him, I would love to have him but I wouldn't be doing any one for one trade for him with Rutger.

As I've stated before fans don't know the details of GM chats or what they want, so we shall see how it goes. By reports online sounds like about 5-6 teams are being reported in on Rutger, we shall see how it unfolds, no guarantees from me on any outcome (but generally demand helps drive value). If you listen to Chevy's comments post FA frenzy he very openly states the door is very open for a our young players to step up and take/earn roles so sounds like he's very open to an injection of youth into the lineup.

Reactions: Huffer and TT1

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Apparently doesn't want to spend any time in the AHL....wants a guaranteed spot on the Jets. That should endear him to everyone.
Are you serious? Well that immediately disqualifies Tampa. It's been tradition for like 11 years that all prospects must pay no less than a 2 year tribute to Syracuse. Unless you are IMMEDIATELY a 2nd line player who can score 20 goals as a rookie, you can expect a minimum of 115 games and up to 215 like Yanni Gourde did.

We even tried to send Drouin down literally just because we could. He went on to be one of our best playoff performers en route to that ECF loss to Pittsburgh. Those *checks* 17 games really turned his career around. Had nothing to do with unchaining him from the 4th line playing 11 minutes a night with J.T Brown

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Laine apparently would be happy to come back, personally I wouldn't want him back far to many negatives and red flags for me.

I was always a big Laine fan and I do love guys that can shoot the puck. It's sad to see him fade like he has. So much more potential than what he has shown. Especially in the last season or two.

I don't see the Jets making that move. Not even sure if the Habs do it.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Personally I would hate Laine coming back, far too many negatives for me
I always thought he was overrated and overpaid for what he brings. Seems to be someone who would be part of the supporting cast on a contender but wants to be paid as a line driver.

EDIT: By supporting cast, I meant a complimentary piece. For example, Hyman is a complementary piece to a McDavid. McDavid a line driver.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I always thought he was overrated and overpaid for what he brings. Seems to be someone who would be part of the supporting cast on a contender but wants to be paid as a line driver.

EDIT: By supporting cast, I meant a complimentary piece. For example, Hyman is a complementary piece to a McDavid. McDavid a line driver.

The red flags started when the Jets wanted him to focus on his overall game and it appeared he got sensitive on that. Seems like a self centered goal scorer type but he's pretty good at that so most tolerate him.

He's had a rough ride that resulted in player assistance program. His true character is going to show quickly when he exits it. Has to show team character vs individual selfishness. Has to put together a full season.

I still am a fan but I understand his struggles and flaws. I think MSL can help him

Anyways, move it back to McGroarty

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Mailloux is a hard no… not a maybe if added with the right piece…it’s a no
Dvorak is a hard no… just no, no matter what…no

Personally, for me, there’s nothing MTL has that’s available that I would be interested in for a McGroarty trade.
I would be looking elsewhere completely.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Allstar winger and mid pair cheap for two years? Heinola is near waiver fodder and there’s no guarantee Mcgroarty signs next year.
Lol, Heinola was the second best D behind JoMo at camp last year and made the team until he busted his ankle in the last pre season game. He’s been ready for 2 years but unfortunately was kept down for waiver reasons as well as antiquated coaching.
He won’t be going on waivers.

Committed to Michigan again, but would likely bail for guaranteed NHL ice time.
College was likely an empty threat until Chevy called his bluff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad