Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gaud

May 11, 2017
There is no deal that make sense anymore between MTL and WIN. KH already stated that he wont do a lateral move (Beck) in a trade and want to use an area of surplus (pick and LD). This wont work for WIN, so odds are that the ship as sail for now. Maybe this is something that get revisited in a few months, but WIN is not in a rush to trade him. Could be a valuable asset at the next TDL.
fair enough, but i dont see this as a latteral move, since there is more than just a 1 vs 1. Also, my understanding is that McGroarty is part of trade talks already (some are reporting calls, others that he asked for a trade)

"Use an area of surplus" - do you mean trade up using a package, like im trying to do with my offer? :P What do you wish to get with that?

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Largely thought to be as a asking price is/was:

- 13th OA from the Wild, sounds like Habs and one other team were close to also meeting that price according to Friedman. But as the draft goes at times certain players fell in the draft and no trade happened.

- Needs/asks are 2c or top 4 RHD type of prospect/young player, failing that Chevy was clearly open to a good pick to draft likely one of those needs himself.

- No big need for LHD, wingers or goalies. No need for bottom pairing D or bottom six type of players or prospects, no need for old or UFA players.

- Chevy has two years control and even if no trade happens in two years he still gets awarded a decent 2nd round pick. Sounds like Chevy and multi other GM's are in the ballpark of 13th to 18th OA 1st rd pick type of value based on Friedman's comments.

- Also some speculation (not rumors) from Insiders that Rutger could be packaged with an extended Ehlers to bring back a nice return. So in the end there is lots of options for teams to a common agreement with Chevy on a return, but the returns are for certain types of pieces/picks only, not just random throw away pieces typically we see in offers on the mainboards from teams.
So would something like habs 1st 2025 (top 5 protected) ? I anticipate the habs to get aroudn that.. 10-15 next year. Sounds like something hughes would be into- could be a starting point at the very least.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
fair enough, but i dont see this as a latteral move, since there is more than just a 1 vs 1. Also, my understanding is that McGroarty is part of trade talks already (some are reporting calls, others that he asked for a trade)

"Use an area of surplus" - do you mean trade up using a package, like im trying to do with my offer? :P What do you wish to get with that?

right now, nothing. Most Habs fan are hungry for a trade/upgrade to the top 6. While this is indeed an area of need, patience is our best asset. I think that with Kovasevic gone, this open a spot for Barron on RD. Struble can be sent down to Laval, Harris can play 3rd LD. Let the players improve their value by playing.

Similar to WIN here: they dont have to take a bad deal, MTL does not need to make one either. That is why I dont think there is a fit here, unless WIN (for some obscure reason) now interested in the likes of Dvorak/Barron and picks, but I dont ever see this being the case

Reactions: Gaud

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
So would something like habs 1st 2025 (top 5 protected) ? I anticipate the habs to get aroudn that.. 10-15 next year. Sounds like something hughes would be into- could be a starting point at the very least.

Depends I guess on Chevy & what other offers are, its a pick one year later then he wanted and depends on what the Jets feel like the Habs might end up at next year and how strong they feel the draft is. Also depends if he was looking for a near NHL ready prospect like Rutger is. Is the offer out of this world bad? no, but also isn't ideal and he might have multi fish on the line (like he did at the draft) who beat it as far as value or need or how close the return is to NHL ready. We're just fans we won't know the details, but we can rule out offers that are too high or too low.

Reactions: Gaud and Buffdog

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
There is no deal that make sense anymore between MTL and WIN. KH already stated that he wont do a lateral move (Beck) in a trade and want to use an area of surplus (pick and LD). This wont work for WIN, so odds are that the ship as sail for now. Maybe this is something that get revisited in a few months, but WIN is not in a rush to trade him. Could be a valuable asset at the next TDL.
Except that Chevy was ready to take #13 for McGroarty not even 5 days ago. Also, every report worth mentioning still says that Montreal are still in on McGroarty

Reactions: Gaud

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
If that's the case, there's zero reason for chevy to do that deal now, and it could be a mistake for MTL if that pick turns out to be 6th overall

If the relationship is truly fractured beyond repair, and chevy is looking for a 1st in return, I suspect he lets Rutger stew at school for a year and this can be talked about again leading up to the draft next sseasonwhen everyone knows when they'll be picking

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Except that Chevy was ready to take #13 for McGroarty not even 5 days ago. Also, every report worth mentioning still says that Montreal are still in on McGroarty
13th is not a "unknown" 1st + Barron. Pretty good prospect to be expected there. Low risk.

MTL may still be interested, just dont see why WIN would go for what they have to offer.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Conditional 2025 1st.

Conditions:
If in the 11-15 range, it's just the 1st.
If in the 16-20 range, it's the 1st + 2026 3rd
If in the 21-32 range, it's the 1st + 2025 2nd

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
If that's the case, there's zero reason for chevy to do that deal now, and it could be a mistake for MTL if that pick turns out to be 6th overall

If the relationship is truly fractured beyond repair, and chevy is looking for a 1st in return, I suspect he lets Rutger stew at school for a year and this can be talked about again leading up to the draft next sseasonwhen everyone knows when they'll be picking
Just IMO, but next off-season RG is only 1 year from UFA eligibility he gets after spending 4 years at UM. This is one of those times where the players value is at it's peak right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gustave

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
13th is not a "unknown" 1st + Barron. Pretty good prospect to be expected there. Low risk.

MTL may still be interested, just dont see why WIN would go for what they have to offer.
If there is trade the main piece coming back will be Beck. That’s the one prospect that fits the need of Winnipeg that Montreal can afford to lose.

Barron doesn’t even get the conversation started and I’m not sure Hughes is very open to trade Calgary/Florida’s 1st or his own first

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Your offer is Casey, who you say will replace Collin Miller or Pionk? Is that supposed to get us fired up for him? And we're lucky enough to get a 3rd as well? And you don't even want Ehlers either!?! Amazing. How about Nemec and you can have our 3rd?
Considering Casey wasn’t far off from McGoarty production wise and he was a defensemen

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Conditional 2025 1st.

Conditions:
If in the 11-15 range, it's just the 1st.
If in the 16-20 range, it's the 1st + 2026 3rd
If in the 21-32 range, it's the 1st + 2025 2nd
Kent Hughes loves conditional draft picks.

Add:

If in 6-10 range than Winnipeg sends back their 1st, if 20-30 range
if 6-10 range but Winnipeg pick 10-20 range than Montreal sends back their 2nd
if 6-10 range but Winnipeg pick is top 10, then Winnipeg sends 2nd and 3rd instead
if 1-5 range picked is delayed until following year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad