Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
My thought was 3 years of age and Necas being under team control gives him more value than Ehlers, which makes up for RM being more than a 2nd.

But if I’m the Canes I’m open to upgrading that 2nd to a 1st.
I think there’s something that can work there between the Canes and Jets. The biggest hurdle is ensuring Necas would sign with Winnipeg and McGroarty would sign with Carolina. I don’t think we could guarantee Rutger makes the team, although there will be plenty of opportunity with the holes in our offense.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
My thought was 3 years of age and Necas being under team control gives him more value than Ehlers, which makes up for RM being more than a 2nd.

IMO your offer was very close in values, but as you know fans from within any team never all agree. That being said I think both teams would want to work out contracts for Ehlers & Necas before any trade happens.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
He is going to go for a lot less than people expect, or the Jets will circle back and give him what he wants to sign because taking a loss on the pick isn't worth it.

If there was a sufficient market for the Jets to get the equivalent to a top 15 pick, I think he would have been dealt by now, probably at the draft.

The floor for his value is a 2nd round pick, because that's what the compensation is for him. If you're the Jets, a 2nd round pick this upcoming draft is better than waiting multiple years for him to walk. He will obviously go for more than that, but that's the floor.

The rumor that Ottawa is in on him is partially what makes me think the value must be low. I can't see Ottawa dealing a future 1st round pick, considering they already lost a pick due to the Dadonov fiasco. Ottawa also has no top-level prospects outside of Yakemchuk. We know Yakemchuk is not being dealt because otherwise Ottawa would have just given Winnipeg the 7th overall. You're looking at something like Sogaard, Boucher, and Ostapchuk as Senators prospects, and the Jets don't really need an up and coming goalie.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
By the sounds of it Habs have their A pool and B pool of prospects, they wouldn't trade any from the A pool and nothing from the B pool is interesting for Rutger. Then people will say ok how about a B pool prospect and a 2rd pick, completely uninteresting IMO for the Jets. Then people will say how about 2025 1st, but Habs say no to that bc they could still be a bad team next year potentially. Nothing from the Habs tradeable roster players are interesting or fills a need on the Jets. Running out of options here, sounds like that's what happened between the actual two GM's as well.
I would trade the other (CGY/FLA) 1st next year + Beck/Barron or Beck + Barron,

That would be my offer

Reactions: Buffdog

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Jets fans let me know if value is crazy off on this because these situations are tough to read sometimes, but:

Necas + 2025 2nd for Ehlers + McGroarty

Add whatever is needed on either side to even it out but… feels to this Canes fan like there’s value for both sides here?
I don't think the Jets would want to pay a premium to make a lateral move.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Yup, people need to realize this baby back bitch needs to agree to sign a contract with the team that trades for him. He essentially has a NTC.
Or he can go back to college and risk injury and push is post ELC contract down the road a few years costing him millions.
At this stage I’d be fine letting him sit a few years and taking compensatory 2nd.

Reactions: larmex99 and aqsw

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's understandable that Jet fans think highly of him or pretend to think highly for maximum return.

For me, this is another Harris scenario. He was touted as a sure fire top 4 defenseman that just needed a season of seasoning in the NHL. He wouldn't sign unless he went strsight into the NHL. So signed him, put him in the NHL and now trying to trade him.

All their lives, these kidsget their tires pumped and naturally, they think they DESERVE to be in the NHL. Then they meet reality.

I don't want entitled brats on the Habs. If he wants a chance, sure, but if he is worthless or limited at the NHL level, what good is he to us? Or any team? Trade serious assets for him, watch him struggle and two years walk away?

Hard no unless he's valued at the appropiste risk. Dream on about Mailioux and Beck. A late 1st or early 2nd and one of our B defenseman. If that is too low, please keep him. After all, if in YOUR mind he's so valuable, why don't the Jets guarantee him that spot.

Hilarious disconnect...

We should probably clarify some things here. Harris was a 3rd round pick and the only people touting him as a surefire top 4 defenseman were Canadiens fans

McGroarty was a 14th overall pick and the prevailing consensus in the community is that he has top six potential with some beef to his game and leadership qualities

The disconnect is thinking that Harris is relevant in any way to this, or that you can get him for cheap just because you don't know enough about the player to know his actual value. It's already been all but confirmed that the 13th overall pick in the most recent draft was on the table for him until a guy the Wild liked more dropped unexpectedly. To say that he doesn't have that kind of value isn't just a bad opinion, it's factually incorrect.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
My thought was 3 years of age and Necas being under team control gives him more value than Ehlers, which makes up somewhat for RM being more than a 2nd.

I agree that being 3 years younger adds slightly to Necas, but there isn't much of a "control" angle with these 2 IMO. Ehlers has 1 year to UFA, and while Necas is a RFA, he's only 2 years away from UFA himself. And whatever team ends up possibly trading for these 2 is going to do it with an extension anyway.

Moving McGroarty should be used to do more than possibly move from Ehlers to Necas.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I agree that being 3 years younger adds slightly to Necas, but there isn't much of a "control" angle with these 2 IMO. Ehlers has 1 year to UFA, and while Necas is a RFA, he's only 2 years away from UFA himself. And whatever team ends up possibly trading for these 2 is going to do it with an extension anyway.

Moving McGroarty should be used to do more than possibly move from Ehlers to Necas.

Makes sense - I guess it depends if the market sees him more as a Cutter Gauthier or more as a Justin Barron (or, more likely, somewhere in between), but if you’ve got the blue chipper it’s important to use the piece well as you can only use it once.

Reactions: Huffer

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Can't remember where I saw this, but I've red that the bridge were burnt between the Jets and Rutger after the disagreement from last year over the ELC and burning a year.
I thought that was this year? I know the Gauthier thing happened last year which culminated with his trade in January. Has the McGroarty thing been percolating this whole time as well?

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Can't remember where I saw this, but I've red that the bridge were burnt between the Jets and Rutger after the disagreement from last year over the ELC and burning a year.
jets didn't have a problem signing him to burn a year of his elc, the problem is he wants to play in the nhl, jets won't promise him that

Last edited:

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Or he can go back to college and risk injury and push is post ELC contract down the road a few years costing him millions.
At this stage I’d be fine letting him sit a few years and taking compensatory 2nd.
We'd all want that to happen, but it won't sadly.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I thought that was this year? I know the Gauthier thing happened last year which culminated with his trade in January. Has the McGroarty thing been percolating this whole time as well?
No, last year was all smiles and can't wait for the future in the 2023 Summer Development camp. All great vibes. And glowing endorsement from McGroarty in how the Jets communicated with him during the season.

By the time the Wolverines season was done, the Jets had something like 2 games left. It sounds like the Jets were more than willing to sign him, burn a year etc (just like they did with Copp). But it sounds like McGroarty wasn't interested unless he was guaranteed a spot in the NHL (no AHL time).

The Jets were trying to secure home ice, and also gave a NHL game to both Lambert and Chibrikov, as they have spent time in the AHL. They also didn't have a spot for Kupari. Maybe they could have also put him in a game, but what happens if the Jets added a player this summer and Rutger needs to spend a season in the AHL? Is he going to demand a trade then?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Mailloux is a hard no… not a maybe if added with the right piece…it’s a no
Dvorak is a hard no… just no, no matter what…no

Personally, for me, there’s nothing MTL has that’s available that I would be interested in for a McGroarty trade.
I would be looking elsewhere completely.

Necas and Ehlers are a wash.
RM is worth a lot more than a 2nd.

Agreed with the Dvorak, but like, I get it's pretty annoying to be told the player isn't worth much when he is, but that's just two bad takes.

Ehlers is often hurt, one year from free agency and disappears in the playoffs.

Pretty sure a lot of the teams in the league would love to land a 6'3, right handed shot dman who just put up 47 points in his first year in the A.

Feels like this thread and and future ones should be closed until something new comes from someone who actually has sources and it's more close than not.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Agreed with the Dvorak, but like, I get it's pretty annoying to be told the player isn't worth much when he is, but that's just two bad takes.

Pretty sure a lot of the teams in the league would love to land a 6'3, right handed shot dman who just put up 47 points in his first year in the A.

Feels like this thread and and future ones should be closed until something new comes from someone who actually has sources and it's more close than not.

Just clarifying the reason the poster said no (I highly suspect) to Mailoux is not bc he doesn't have potential, its bc the Jets Organization are the poster child for good behavior and Mailoux past off ice actions would be a questionable choice to trade for him and many fans in the community might not like that choice. I'm not sure if its true or not, regarding how fans would react but certainly fair to wonder. 100% Management would talk about it, if they had any concerns how fans would react they wouldn't trade for him.

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Just clarifying the reason the poster said no (I highly suspect) to Mailoux is not bc he doesn't have potential, its bc the Jets Organization are the poster child for good behavior and Mailoux past off ice actions would be a questionable choice to trade for him and many fans in the community might not like that choice. I'm not sure if its true or not, regarding how fans would react but certainly fair to wonder. 100% Management would talk about it, if they had any concerns how fans would react they wouldn't trade for him.
Exactly

Then trade him elsewhere or keep him…but stop trying to force him on us after we’ve already said we don’t want him.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I wonder why the Wild were so confident he'd sign they were going to give up a mid first this year? Sure I think they were planning on giving him NHL time somehow but he could easily have come up with any other reason to just hold out.
Other teams have to have permission to talk to him and his agent, right?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I wonder why the Wild were so confident he'd sign they were going to give up a mid first this year? Sure I think they were planning on giving him NHL time somehow but he could easily have come up with any other reason to just hold out.
Other teams have to have permission to talk to him and his agent, right?
He'll sign anywhere that will put him in the NHL line up and keep him there next year. It sounds like he wants to bypass the AHL, which may actually hinder his development long term

The Jets franchise has a bunch of examples of guys who were rushed to the NHL before they should have been under previous ownership. Patrick Stefan, Alex Burmisrrov, even Zach Bogosian shouldn't have been playing at 18 and it probably cost them each millions in earnings becaue of their lack of proper growth and development at lower levels

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
We should probably clarify some things here. Harris was a 3rd round pick and the only people touting him as a surefire top 4 defenseman were Canadiens fans

McGroarty was a 14th overall pick and the prevailing consensus in the community is that he has top six potential with some beef to his game and leadership qualities

The disconnect is thinking that Harris is relevant in any way to this, or that you can get him for cheap just because you don't know enough about the player to know his actual value. It's already been all but confirmed that the 13th overall pick in the most recent draft was on the table for him until a guy the Wild liked more dropped unexpectedly. To say that he doesn't have that kind of value isn't just a bad opinion, it's factually incorrect.
While I agree Harris is largely irrelevant, I think claiming McGroarty has 13th overall value is pretty far out there, too - there is no way we know the entirety of the potential trade that was being discussed, so claiming anything is "factually incorrect" is no more than just your... opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad