Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Nah, skating is not that hard to improve. Some do but most don't. He can still be effective but none of us know how good he really can be until he turns pro.

I believe your pool needs D injection. Look at the last 3 drafts from the Jets.
Same can be said about every single prospect alive, heck even could be said about young NHL'ers. No Jets fan is going to say the Jets don't want a good D man (prospect or roster), but its RHD we need not LHD. LHD we're in good shape, RHD is weak. You offered a LHD and commented on another of your LHD, neither are a need.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Same can be said about every single prospect alive, heck even could be said about young NHL'ers. No Jets fan is going to say the Jets don't want a good D man (prospect or roster), but its RHD we need not LHD. LHD we're in good shape, RHD is weak. You offered a LHD and commented on another of your LHD, neither are a need.

How about you list your NHL and pool depth at both RD and LD. Show me? I don't see a strong pool at LD or RD and you got basically Morrissey and DeMelo signed past this coming season. Stanley and Samberg as RFA's.

I think you can add both LD's and RD's. That's how I see it. It's not that deep at both NHL and in your pool from what I see.

I doubt you will get a grade A at RD offered from anybody.

• Haha
Reactions: kylbaz and TS Quint

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
How about you list your NHL and pool depth at both RD and LD. Show me? I don't see a strong pool at LD or RD and you got basically Morrissey and DeMelo signed past this coming season. Stanley and Samberg as RFA's.

I think you can add both LD's and RD's. That's how I see it. It's not that deep at both NHL and in your pool from what I see.

I doubt you will get a grade A at RD offered from anybody.
Left:
Morrissey, Samberg, Heinola, Stanley are all NHLers in some capacity.

Right:
DeMelo, Pionk, Schmidt are all on the roster and are NHLers. Salomonson may get a chance this year.

We have no room for anyone else this year and we can’t take anyone else on without moving someone out. We already need an upgrade on the right side over Schmidt or Pionk, which we are willing to pay for. A RH prospect is fine if they are several years out.

Reactions: Buffdog

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Ok he's not lazy by Columbus standards. It's just an allergy to the Gym. He gets along but desperately wants out of his second franchise for no reason at all. The guy is a flake.
Look, if Tortorella says someone is not lazy, he is not really lazy. Also has very good relationship with Jenner, Kuraly and Werenski who are hard working players. Btw with Gaudreau too.
And now:
2021/22 - 2 injuries
2022/23 - 3 injuries, one illness (COVID)
2023/24 - 2 injuries from it one concussion, illness, NHLPA programm
No one injury was chronical.
Also many injured players.
What do you think, what would the most players do? I think they would want a trade too. Btw he is willing to wait, one is not another Pierre- Luc Dubois.

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
I'm pretty sure Boston doesn't have any assets that would get Rutger. Few appropriate prospects, #25 won't cut it, and no roster players that they'd willingly trade that we want. That's an odd one.
How in the world this guy have more value than any proven nhl player? Never skated in the NHL, he s a mid first round prospect not more for now

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
thought when we got rid of pld we would stop having to deal with mtl fans telling us how were not going to get much for our player and how their players are worth so much more..

I think the part to remember that some posters seem to forget, we aren’t actually authorized by our teams to make a deal.

Pretend trade negotiations is where some HFBoards fans are at their funniest. :laugh:

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
and very very wrong when it came to what the jets would get

I will admit I did not think the Jets would get that much. But I'm sure you can agree that was an absolute fleeting.

Regarding McGroarty I think a mid 1st + younger Warm body or a late first + good but not great young player/prospect is realistic.

I would love for the Habs to go for him but don't think it's realistic. Strengths/positions of depth are too similar.

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
WPG fans, thoughts on a package of 2024 1st, Geekie, Merkulov for McGroartys rights and Ehlers?

Back into the first round, low cost/team controlled Center who played well with increased ice time last year and a prospect the bruins are pretty high on (20 as a freshman at Ohio State, 24 as an AHL rookie, 30 last year in Prov). Merk is being developed as a center as well but we will see how his game translates.

What gets swapped out or what do the Bruins need to add in your minds?

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
WPG fans, thoughts on a package of 2024 1st, Geekie, Merkulov for McGroartys rights and Ehlers?

Back into the first round, low cost/team controlled Center who played well with increased ice time last year and a prospect the bruins are pretty high on (20 as a freshman at Ohio State, 24 as an AHL rookie, 30 last year in Prov). Merk is being developed as a center as well but we will see how his game translates.

What gets swapped out or what do the Bruins need to add in your minds?
winnipeg says no

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Chevy has his opinions on players and I don’t think that changes much. He likes who he likes and pursues them. With that said, he passed on Geekie when he was on waivers, so I doubt he would pay assets for him now. He will target specifically what he wants as the return.

Reactions: Patdud

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Warning to everyone stop with the team labeling back & fourth or you will be shown the door out of this thread. If posters are trolling report, it will be reviewed, do not respond to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bruins will not trade their top 4 proven best stay at home D for a prospect who never skated on the nhl...WTF is that!

This was my point as well. He's a good prospect trending well but you don't get sure shot NHL hits in return if you try to trade it. This is not a blue chip prospect. McGroaty is a good prospect trending very well. Needs to improve skating which is a major area of quality of how prospects make the NHL.

I remember Panthers fans pumping up Borgstrom on these boards as a sure shot prospect as well. Go check out his NCAA stats.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
This was my point as well. He's a good prospect trending well but you don't get sure shot NHL hits in return if you try to trade it. This is not a blue chip prospect. McGroaty is a good prospect trending very well. Needs to improve skating which is a major area of quality of how prospects make the NHL.

I remember Panthers fans pumping up Borgstrom on these boards as a sure shot prospect as well. Go check out his NCAA stats.
The guy just captained Team USA to gold and looked good doing it. He’s performed very well at every level, without exception, and will be an NHL captain one day. He may not have the offensive ceiling of a Celebrini, but he has a very long and successful NHL career ahead of him for any team that needs the role he plays.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Look, if Tortorella says someone is not lazy, he is not really lazy. Also has very good relationship with Jenner, Kuraly and Werenski who are hard working players. Btw with Gaudreau too.
And now:
2021/22 - 2 injuries
2022/23 - 3 injuries, one illness (COVID)
2023/24 - 2 injuries from it one concussion, illness, NHLPA programm
No one injury was chronical.
Also many injured players.
What do you think, what would the most players do? I think they would want a trade too. Btw he is willing to wait, one is not another Pierre- Luc Dubois.

#1 reason for injuries is poor conditioning.

Why do injuries have him crying his way out of the BJs? That’s a dumb reason to demand a trade and in no way true. Most players play their contract. But this flake is crying his way out of another team he can’t get along with. He’s doing exactly what Dubois did to the same teams except Laine is worse because he has years on his boat anchor contract left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad