Confirmed with Link: Schmid and Holtz traded to VGK for Paul Cotter and 2025 3rd rounder

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah tbh I’d rather they sign him regardless, heaven forbid he winds up with the Flyers and finds a way to break out there

Reactions: glenwo2

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I don't like this notion of 'doing whatever they can to sewer his value' - yes, the Devils could've tried to put Holtz with Hughes for a while to increase his value, but that's not the goal here. The Devils really didn't have a 3rd line they felt comfortable playing him on, at least not when McLeod went away.

Mostly at the end of the year they dressed him and threw him on the 4th line because they had no one else to put in his place.

One of Daws or Schmid had to go this offseason. Both guys are on the cusp of the NHL but there's just not enough room for 4 goalies.
On Schmid, yeah I know. That is what I said. I am partial to Schmid but they were going to have an AHL glut and had to move someone. It is what it is.

There was never a point to playing Holtz on the 4th line and then publicly dressing him down. Send him back to the AHL and use him in a trade package then. They invested a 7th overall pick on this kid and as soon as he comes to NA they pretty much show no belief in him and sewer his value. It's bad asset management.

Cotter will be a fine player. But the handling of Holtz was dumb and they wasted an asset. And I really was never high on Holtz to begin with!

Reactions: Nubmer6

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I can already see the Tweets/article titles when he gets waived later in the season and ends up back in Vegas...

"Welcome Back, Cotter"

You just know they will play Welcome Back after he scores at the Rock with him photoshopper as Kotter, that'll be his little meme that some of the other players have and about 15% of the people in attendance will get the reference. :laugh:

Reactions: My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
On Schmid, yeah I know. That is what I said. I am partial to Schmid but they were going to have an AHL glut and had to move someone. It is what it is.

There was never a point to playing Holtz on the 4th line and then publicly dressing him down. Send him back to the AHL and use him in a trade package then. They invested a 7th overall pick on this kid and as soon as he comes to NA they pretty much show no belief in him and sewer his value. It's bad asset management.

Cotter will be a fine player. But the handling of Holtz was dumb and they wasted an asset. And I really was never high on Holtz to begin with!

He never showed much reason to have belief in him. I don't know that I have seen a putative scoreline player be worse than Holtz in 22-23. That said, he should've been sent to the minors earlier that year, but keeping a high pick in the minors does not somehow maintain their value. Everybody knows that a 7th overall in the minors in their D+3 is not a great sign.

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Some of you on this ridiculously long thread about a minor trade nailed it for me - it's not about the trade, it's about Holtz simply not living up to the hype and expectation of where he was drafted and the scouting reports. I also love Seth Jarvis and wish he was here, but he wasn't considered a top 10 player so it was unlikely he was anywhere BPA on the Devils (or anyone's) list in that draft position.

It's just disappointment because we really could have used a hit there - we need a winger already, and now we need two.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 8
    Staked: $30,350.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00