Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I think a trade that makes sense for wpg that nyr would consider is Othmann or Berard for Rutger. WPG gets a talented prospect drafted who is already signed and under team control for a guy they arent gonna be able to sign anyway
both are good prospects but I think youd need a sizeable addition, which would end up taking assets away from going all-in this season

If somehow they managed a deal with only prospects or draft picks post-2026, then thatd be a steal I think

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
What about something like McGroarty to Seattle for Jared Mccann?

Seattle shouldn't dwell too much on their unlikely 2nd round playoff run last year and shouldn't make the mistake of thinking they are a win-now team. McGroarty is a significant boost to their prospect pool and a cost-controlled asset for years to come assuming he's happy to be there.

Mccann is only 28, has 2 years left on his deal, and gives Winnipeg an excellent #2 C option to bolster their roster and stay in "win-now" mode.

• Haha
Reactions: Lorenzo1000

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Just thought of a 3 way trade that could benefit all parties involved. If values are off don’t tear me to shreds just using this as a base for a trade and would be open to any tweaks that would make it a more fair trade.

Carolina receives: McGroarty, WIN ‘24 1st
Winnipeg receives: Mailloux
Montreal receives: Necas

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Just thought of a 3 way trade that could benefit all parties involved. If values are off don’t tear me to shreds just using this as a base for a trade and would be open to any tweaks that would make it a more fair trade.

no

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Any ideas on changes that could make a deal between the three partners work or do you just want to contribute nothing?
jets wouldn't trade for mailloux, his name has already been mentioned in this thread and jets fans have already said the org wouldn't trade for him so Idk why I would need to contribute more

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Fair enough, doesn’t have to be Mailloux, I just knew Montreal had multiple RHD in their system which I know Winnipeg is looking for and I know Montreal is interested in Necas. Thought there could be a deal to be made.

• Haha

ColbyChaos

Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Old folks home? Rangers were the youngest team in the final 4.

Players age 24 or younger

Lafreniere
Kakko
Chytil
Rempe
Edstrom
Kandre
Schneider
Jones
Cuylle

And berard and othmann likely to be up this season or next. You do often try hard here though colbs. Facts>>>
Two good players on that list rest are mid. No wonder you need Rutger if your team can’t even develop a #2 overall properly

Reactions: Devonator

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Don’t need LHD

Lousy option…this is part of the reason we are in the situation we are in…getting players who don’t fill a need, just because…
Jets need proven 2C and RHD… not overrated LHD…plus we keep bringing in players to take away spots from developing kids…we have Samberg on our LHD…or should we force him to leave too.
The thing is you’re not going to get an under 27 proven 2C or top 3/4 RHD for him. He’s a winger, hasn’t played an NHL game and refuse to sign with his current team because they wouldn’t guarantee a spot on the roster.

You will probably have to settle for less or a 2C/RHD that is still in his prime but doesn’t have 8-10 years ahead of him. Think about a guy that is 28-30.

You could however ask for a lesser C prospect that has top 6 potential or a highly skilled C/RHD that is 22-23 that hasn’t break out yet but shown he’s an NHL player with potential to grow given a new start/opportunity.

• Haha

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Fair enough, doesn’t have to be Mailloux, I just knew Montreal had multiple RHD in their system which I know Winnipeg is looking for and I know Montreal is interested in Necas. Thought there could be a deal to be made.
RHDs are Reinbacher, Mailioux, Savard, Barron and Kovacevic.

The first two are likely either top 4 or at the very least top 6. Guhle is playing the wrong side because other then Savard, Barron/Kovacevik are borderline. So there is no appetite to trade Rein or Mailioux.

BTW...21 yesr old Mailioux was the third highest scoring defenseman in the AHL while his focus was developing his defensive game. Has size, 6'3" 230 pounds, shot, skating, mean disposition and likely 1st PP...while cleaning up what X left behind. Also likely to make it on opening night.

We're not going to make a hole in RHD to solve someone elses hole in RHD

• Haha

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Would Jets fans rather deal him for Rossi or for MIN 1st+? "Neither" or "we're not trading him within the division/to Minnesota" aren't options

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
If I'm GM I'd say sure son, we'll open a spot for you after a good scrimmage.

Let's see how ready he is coming up agaisnt Guhle or X in front of the net. Let's see how his ribs feel after a few cross checks. No back problems? Wait for that two hander. EVERY TEAM IN THE NHL has their own Guhles and X waiting to meet and greet his royal expectations.

This is seriously delusional kids who play tough guy to other kids, but never actually played against man who have no problem hurting him. In fact, it's part of their job description.

I go back to Harris who thought he was NHL ready and demanded to be put in the lineup. Habs were not a good team so why not. Now Harris finds out that he's barely a top 6 and slipping out of the NHL.

At the time of his signing, most people thought he was a lock on top 4 career. As per usual the HF eperts were laughing at how the Habs were going to loose a top prospect. Now? Lots of HF amnesia and he's closer to AHL tweener. So why does anyone think that Rutger is top 6 or top 9 without ever stepping into the NHL?

Some GM from a non contender is going to bite and good luck. You've been warned....

Were non-Habs fans going on about how a 3rd round pick signing out of Northeastern was a top prospect?

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Carolina makes out like bandits. I also don’t think Montreal wants to move Mailloux.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Were non-Habs fans going on about how a 3rd round pick signing out of Northeastern was a top prospect?
I'm not sure were you are headed with this comment. Hutson?

He's a "top prospect" but that's all he is until he goes into the corner with a Tkachuk.

I'm a big fan of show-me. That is why i value kids who already have a season or two of NHL versus paper tigers. Even less a fan of kids who demand rather then prove themselves.

Fire Chevy

Dec 8, 2017
Winnipeg
Would Jets fans rather deal him for Rossi or for MIN 1st+? "Neither" or "we're not trading him within the division/to Minnesota" aren't options
Honestly think there’s a deal for Rossi I feel like McGroarty is the kind of player Minnesota is looking for I would like this trade Jets get thier 2C solved

Reactions: CanMerc and AKL

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
I predict McGroarty gets traded to the Rangers for Kakko.

The Jets will want win now pieces instead of picks or prospects because they want to compete while Schiefele and Helleybuck are still in their primes.

The Jets will have Lambert and Heinola playing in the NHL next season. Heinola, drafted in the 2019 1st round like Kakko, won a spot with the Jets in training camp last year until he broke his ankle in the last pre-season game and needed surgery.

Kakko is from a smaller town in Finland. He will feel much more comfortable in Winnipeg with his former Finnish teammates. I’m pretty confident the Jets will be able to tap Kakko’s unmet potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad