Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I would think he is worth a late 1st.

He is a college player who isn’t signing who was 14th overall 2 years ago.

The 20-25th pick seems actually pretty reasonable.

Where would he go in this years draft?
Prospect lists have him in the 35-50th range.

He’s not seen as a top 10 can’t miss prospect according to those sources

Edit one recent one by a writer I never heard of has him 11th

Even in simplistic terms, I don't see why a more prospect would be worth less than the pick in which they were drafted after a successful 2 year development period. We're not talking about a new car coming off the lot and depreciating in value post draft...

Why another team holding a Top 15 pick would want to engage in a player dictating terms and engineering his way out would be another story though.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Based on????
14th overall. Not signing. Didn’t win a big award. Hasn’t player in the NHL.
he will sign with what ever team trades for him...
14th overall? you know you can improve your draft stock post draft right?
didn't win an award? who the f*** cares?
hasn't player in the nhl? and late 1sts have a 50-50 chance of even playing in the nhl, he is a lot closer to being ready and way more of a sure thing to make it to the nhl

Last edited:
Reactions: kenobiwan

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would think he is worth a late 1st.

He is a college player who isn’t signing who was 14th overall 2 years ago.

The 20-25th pick seems actually pretty reasonable.

Where would he go in this years draft?
Prospect lists have him in the 35-50th range.

He’s not seen as a top 10 can’t miss prospect according to those sources
Mid teens, I think. Some might value him over Helenius, others would prefer Helenius. I think he would be preferred over Greentree, but there would be some teams who would disagree. Solberg might get picked over him by teams who need D, Eiserman by teams who want scoring.

Reactions: Legion34

kenobiwan

Jun 1, 2022
Yes you're confirmation seals the deal 🤣. I could see the Leafs trading the 1st + Minten + Liljegren but that would be the most I think they'd offer. Mcgroarty isn't worth a player like necas in a 1 for 1 trade though, that's just silly.
I never said Necas, last I checked he wasn’t a leaf. The leafs offer isn’t gonna cut it, only you think so

Reactions: TS Quint

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Even in simplistic terms, I don't see why a more prospect would be worth less than the pick in which they were drafted after a successful 2 year development period. We're not talking about a new car coming off the lot and depreciating in value post draft...

Why another team holding a Top 15 pick would want to engage in a player dictating terms and engineering his way out would be another story though.

Because not all draft years are the same? It’s reasonable to ask where he would go this year.

Some are saying around 15.

he will sign with what ever team trades for him...
14th overall? you know you can improve your draft stock post draft right?
didn't win an award? who the f*** cares?
hasn't player in the nhl? and late 1sts have a 50-50 chance of even playing in the nhl, he is a lot closer to being ready and way more of a sure thing to make it to the nhl

Sure. In that he may be granted permission to talk and agree before a team trades for him. But his market isn’t 31 teams. It’s who he wants to sign with. That could be 1-31 teams.

We don’t know

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I never said Necas, last I checked he wasn’t a leaf. The leafs offer isn’t gonna cut it, only you think so
I was responding to the same person you seemed to agree with, if that's not the case then no problem, it wasn't directed at you then.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Let me guess, he's worth other teams best prospect and then some more?

HFboard is as a homer den as you can find.

Everybody accusing everybody of it, then to do it themselves.

Jets are loaded in good forward prospects, they need young defensemen.

I think MTL would be a good trading partner, but I don't expect reasonable demands for him in here...

McGroarty is a good big and powerful winger, but he's no superstar material.

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
"Except it does" what? Making your text bigger makes it more correct? :laugh:

If OP used a twitter that isn't even correct, that should probably be rectified. But it seems to pretty clearly convey the heart of the issue here. It's not a novel scenario. We've seen this a hundred times over now.

You're just throwing out and focusing on ad hominem attacks rather than addressing any specific points of contention about what exactly is so "off base" about what i'm saying. Or deflecting to baseball analogy for no apparent reason.
It was rectified, in a post by a moderator.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Many things can be true at once. This is more than just "NTDP/NCAA players want to choose where they play so that they can reach the NHL faster to earn more money and play in destinations/organizations/teams that appeal to them".
I think this is where it gets a little more specific. It's about these "funnel" programs in and around the USNTDP. It starts at much younger, youth hockey ages. Everything is basically "steered" toward these paths if a player is successful.

Basically...Michigan, Boston College, Boston University, Minnesota, Wisconsin. And then obviously Harvard, which is actually a separate sort of landmine that teams have been aware of and avoided or downgraded prospects on for ages now.

But it honestly feels like it's potentially becoming an issue that the NCAA are might have to deal with at some point. Where more and more, we're seeing these "superteams" where the top line of the USNTDP all jump ship to the same school all at once. It's mostly powerhouse influential programs in the grand scheme of things so i doubt there's much movement on it, but it's even starting to skew the competitive balance at that level as well. The only reprieve being, other "top collegiate teams" tend to be able to hang onto players for longer and can try to win (and often do) with experience and polish over raw skill and "just passing through" flash in the pan talents.
I agree with a lot of what you've said in this thread. I would be very interested to see what happens when (at this point it's when, not if) CHL players are allowed to play in the NCAA. I don't see any reason why they also wouldn't just choose to "stay in college" (i.e. request a trade to another team) if they felt their path to the NHL would be better with a different organization.

Players (and their families, representatives, agents, etc.) are increasingly advocating for their personal autonomy and rights. I feel this will be crucial to what is negotiated and agreed upon in the next CBA.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Many things can be true at once. This is more than just "NTDP/NCAA players want to choose where they play so that they can reach the NHL faster to earn more money and play in destinations/organizations/teams that appeal to them".

I agree with a lot of what you've said in this thread. I would be very interested to see what happens when (at this point it's when, not if) CHL players are allowed to play in the NCAA. I don't see any reason why they also wouldn't just choose to "stay in college" (i.e. request a trade to another team) if they felt their path to the NHL would be better with a different organization.

Players (and their families, representatives, agents, etc.) are increasingly advocating for their personal autonomy and rights. I feel this will be crucial to what is negotiated and agreed upon in the next CBA.

If CHL players are ever allowed to play in the NCAA then I'd imagine they end up closing the gap and just make it so that a players rights expire after 4 years period.

Reactions: ameselare

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If I'm GM I'd say sure son, we'll open a spot for you after a good scrimmage.

Let's see how ready he is coming up agaisnt Guhle or X in front of the net. Let's see how his ribs feel after a few cross checks. No back problems? Wait for that two hander. EVERY TEAM IN THE NHL has their own Guhles and X waiting to meet and greet his royal expectations.

This is seriously delusional kids who play tough guy to other kids, but never actually played against man who have no problem hurting him. In fact, it's part of their job description.

I go back to Harris who thought he was NHL ready and demanded to be put in the lineup. Habs were not a good team so why not. Now Harris finds out that he's barely a top 6 and slipping out of the NHL.

At the time of his signing, most people thought he was a lock on top 4 career. As per usual the HF eperts were laughing at how the Habs were going to loose a top prospect. Now? Lots of HF amnesia and he's closer to AHL tweener. So why does anyone think that Rutger is top 6 or top 9 without ever stepping into the NHL?

Some GM from a non contender is going to bite and good luck. You've been warned....

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Fox was already forcing his way out of his second team and would only sign in one place so that he could play in the city he wanted. That was pretty well known. Any team with an NHL roster spot would be very willing to pay up for McGroarty, given his bona fides.
And Kevin Hayes? Because he was free

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Being stuck as a 3rd liner in the New York old folks home is quite the irresistible offer

Lmao wtf is this post? Both the Avs and Vegas won cups within the last two years. Painting Colorado as "a team that has won one playoff series the last two years" to make them look bad when they have a damn cup in the last 2 years is some peak clown shit.
Old folks home? Rangers were the youngest team in the final 4.

Players age 24 or younger

Lafreniere
Kakko
Chytil
Rempe
Edstrom
Kandre
Schneider
Jones
Cuylle

And berard and othmann likely to be up this season or next. You do often try hard here though colbs. Facts>>>

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Let me guess, he's worth other teams best prospect and then some more?

HFboard is as a homer den as you can find.

Everybody accusing everybody of it, then to do it themselves.

Jets are loaded in good forward prospects, they need young defensemen.

I think MTL would be a good trading partner, but I don't expect reasonable demands for him in here...

McGroarty is a good big and powerful winger, but he's no superstar material.
Maybe a deal centered around Seamus Casey from New Jersey? Michigan man for Michigan man lol

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
If I'm GM I'd say sure son, we'll open a spot for you after a good scrimmage.

Let's see how ready he is coming up agaisnt Guhle or X in front of the net. Let's see how his ribs feel after a few cross checks. No back problems? Wait for that two hander. EVERY TEAM IN THE NHL has their own Guhles and X waiting to meet and greet his royal expectations.

This is seriously delusional kids who play tough guy to other kids, but never actually played against man who have no problem hurting him. In fact, it's part of their job description.

I go back to Harris who thought he was NHL ready and demanded to be put in the lineup. Habs were not a good team so why not. Now Harris finds out that he's barely a top 6 and slipping out of the NHL.

At the time of his signing, most people thought he was a lock on top 4 career. As per usual the HF eperts were laughing at how the Habs were going to loose a top prospect. Now? Lots of HF amnesia and he's closer to AHL tweener. So why does anyone think that Rutger is top 6 or top 9 without ever stepping into the NHL?

Some GM from a non contender is going to bite and good luck. You've been warned....

Nice, risking your player's health in practice. Real smooth. From teammates to boot.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Old folks home? Rangers were the youngest team in the final 4.

Players age 24 or younger

Lafreniere
Kakko
Chytil
Rempe
Edstrom
Kandre
Schneider
Jones
Cuylle

And berard and othmann likely to be up this season or next. Facts>>>
Out of those names though, three are top-4/6 players

Rangers best talent arent young outside Fox; certainly not an 'old-folks home' but their contention window begins to close if Panarin and co leave or sign for too much

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
What kind of stupid name is Rutger anyway?

If a good trade doesn’t materialize just wait. Take the second round compensation and show kids they have to play 4 years in the NCAA and possibly stunt their development
1000005104.jpg

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Out of those names though, three are top-4/6 players

Rangers best talent arent young outside Fox; certainly not an 'old-folks home' but their contention window begind to close if Panarin and co leave or sign for too much
So in other words youre making a case that theres room to work your way into the top 6 when some of the contracts expire/guys age out? Kinda seems like a good opportunity. Come up with a good team with not alot of pressure on you, grow and develop at a nice pace and then in a few years slide into the top 6 and pp1 when panarin and kreider are out.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
So in other words youre making a case that theres room to work your way into the top 6 when some of the contracts expire/guys age out? Kinda seems like a good opportunity. Come up with a good team with not alot of pressure on you, grow and develop at a nice pace and then in a few years slide into the top 6 and pp1 when panarin and kreider are out.
Theres room for sure but would the Rangers be willing to pay the assets itd take for a kid (albeit very good) versus a veteran while you have Shestyorkin cheap and Panarin nearing free agency?

McGroarty could do very well taking Kreider's spot of the future but I think NY focuses more on the now, as they should

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Seriously dumb reply.

Move along...

There's nothing dumb about it. You're playing out some sort of violence fantasy that's absurd on its face. No one would risk the health of their player like that and any team should get hit with a trade request by the player's agent if they instructed one of his teammates to go after him.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There's nothing dumb about it. You're playing out some sort of violence fantasy that's absurd on its face. No one would risk the health of their player like that and any team should get hit with a trade request by the player's agent if they instructed one of his teammates to go after him.
More dumb...

Lots of tough scrimmages but hey, in your world they hand out lollipops.

Bye..

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Theres room for sure but would the Rangers be willing to pay the assets itd take for a kid (albeit very good) versus a veteran while you have Shestyorkin cheap and Panarin nearing free agency?

McGroarty could do very well taking Kreider's spot of the future but I think NY focuses more on the now, as they should
I think a trade that makes sense for wpg that nyr would consider is Othmann or Berard for Rutger. WPG gets a talented prospect drafted who is already signed and under team control for a guy they arent gonna be able to sign anyway

• Haha
Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad