Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I think this batch of US players isn’t doing the next batch any favors. Teams may actually start avoiding them when possible, affecting draft position which has an impact on finances too. The kid doesn’t have as much leverage as you might think. This happening now suggests the kid wants out now, he’s trying to maximize the amount he makes by starting as early as he can. If the team doesn’t sign him and won’t trade him because they aren’t getting value he has to sit and waste two years he clearly thinks he doesn’t need in the NCAA’s. Sure he gets freedom down the road but he loses these two years of would be pay.
Teams aren’t going to start avoiding players because tiny percent of them exploit a loophope. There were problems here between Rutger and Winnipeg that clearly werent solved.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If the kid is only open to a trade to the team he wants then absolutely don’t take a bad deal. Make him wait. The kid wastes two years of earning and is two years later to his second contract. And the Jets get a second in compensation.

Most of these kids come from privileged backgrounds. I don't think the early earnings are really a massive concern for them.

It's the later career earnings they care about. Roslovic is a good example. With the Jets he was always going to be in a lesser role. He got his way to Columbus which earned him a $8m ($4m AVV) contract. He was gonna be in tough to get the minutes and production required to get that here. He made a great move to maximize his career earnings.

Rutger likely see's that he's AHL bound for at least a season unless he can crack our top 6, which he has plenty of competition for. Perfetti likely gets a full time spot next year. Lambert and Chibrikov both have a full AHL season under their belts, will be used to the increased schedule and already know the Jets system a lot better than he does and even they aren't guaranteed to make the team but likely have the inside track over him.

It might look like he's see's himself as to good but honestly he probably see's the competition he needs to beat out for a top 6 spot and how tough that is going to be over the next couple of seasons in Winnipeg and is making the decision to let the Jets know that unless they can promise him a spot in the top 9 then he would prefer to go somewhere else where there is less competition and he can jump in right away.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
We could offer Jakob Chychrun and a 4th

Chychrun with an extension wouldn't be to bad. Would have to wait for July 1st but I'd take that on if he's willing to resign.

Gives us two really strong anchors for our top 4, plus Chychrun can play the right side in a pinch if we want to stack the pairings for some shutdown minutes.

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Don’t need LHD

Chychrun with an extension wouldn't be to bad. Would have to wait for July 1st but I'd take that on if he's willing to resign.

Gives us two really strong anchors for our top 4, plus Chychrun can play the right side in a pinch if we want to stack the pairings for some shutdown minutes.
Lousy option…this is part of the reason we are in the situation we are in…getting players who don’t fill a need, just because…
Jets need proven 2C and RHD… not overrated LHD…plus we keep bringing in players to take away spots from developing kids…we have Samberg on our LHD…or should we force him to leave too.

Last edited:
Reactions: kenobiwan

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Lousy option…this is part of the reason we are in the situation we are in…getting players who don’t fill a need, just because…
Jets need proven 2C and RHD… not overrated LHD

D is a need period. Chychrun is an upgrade over every other defencemen we have that isn't named Morrissey and would allow us to have two solid anchors on both pairings.

Plus Chychrun can and has frequently played the right side.

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
D is a need period. Chychrun is an upgrade over every other defencemen we have that isn't named Morrissey and would allow us to have two solid anchors on both pairings.

Plus Chychrun can and has frequently played the right side.
No RHD is a need…Chychrun is not

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
No RHD is a need…Chychrun is not

Chycrhun is an upgrade. I'd take him.

There aren't that many good RHD out there on the market. If Chychrun is being offered straight up Chevy takes it 100%. Holding out hope for something unlikely to happen is a good way to set yourself up for disappointment. It's highly unlikely we get a good RHD for a 20 year old prospect who has yet to play an NHL game.

Heck I'd imagine we won't even get Chychrun.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Most of these kids come from privileged backgrounds. I don't think the early earnings are really a massive concern for them.

It's the later career earnings they care about. Roslovic is a good example. With the Jets he was always going to be in a lesser role. He got his way to Columbus which earned him a $8m ($4m AVV) contract. He was gonna be in tough to get the minutes and production required to get that here. He made a great move to maximize his career earnings.

Rutger likely see's that he's AHL bound for at least a season unless he can crack our top 6, which he has plenty of competition for. Perfetti likely gets a full time spot next year. Lambert and Chibrikov both have a full AHL season under their belts, will be used to the increased schedule and already know the Jets system a lot better than he does and even they aren't guaranteed to make the team but likely have the inside track over him.

It might look like he's see's himself as to good but honestly he probably see's the competition he needs to beat out for a top 6 spot and how tough that is going to be over the next couple of seasons in Winnipeg and is making the decision to let the Jets know that unless they can promise him a spot in the top 9 then he would prefer to go somewhere else where there is less competition and he can jump in right away.
I know McGroarty puts up points and meshes well with high skill guys but I think he’s a pretty awkward skater and I’m not sure he’s going to be a big play driver. Seems like he could be a good garbage guy around the net and a strong finisher if you feed him pucks. I’m not seeing an automatic fit as a stud NHL guy here. I’m a little surprised he’s the one forcing that he plays immediately if that’s what’s actually going on. I don’t think Winni is wrong for thinking he wouldn’t take a spot on a deep team right off the bat.

Reactions: Heldig

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I know McGroarty puts up points and meshes well with high skill guys but I think he’s a pretty awkward skater and I’m not sure he’s going to be a big play driver. Seems like he could be a good garbage guy around the net and a strong finisher if you feed him pucks. I’m not seeing an automatic fit as a stud NHL guy here. I’m a little surprised he’s the one forcing that he plays immediately if that’s what’s actually going on. I don’t think Winni is wrong for thinking he wouldn’t take a spot on a deep team right off the bat.

I think you are hoping for a Vatrano/perry/hyman type compliment top 6 player(not so much production example, just style).

I think it’s all about finding the right fit for him…. A team like Anaheim would like him becuase we have guys that are good at creating space and driving the play…. What we lack is guys that go to dirty areas and finish. I could see Anaheim being interested as a potential Vatrano replacement if we don’t feel confident in bringing him back

Reactions: bleedgreen

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
No, apparently he just wants to play in the NHL next year, Jets or else where

Do we know that?
We have a lot of info indicating he wants out. But there is nothing that he will sign with any team that gives him a spot.

He can still always go back to college so he can pick his spot.

theguybro

Jul 26, 2021
I've liked Marino but probably not in a McGroarty trade. Also you brought up the NTC, which, uh, yeah I'd guarantee Winnipeg is on it.
Just read Marinos 8 team NTC kicks in July 1st . So you have 7 days to get a trade done

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Do we know that?
We have a lot of info indicating he wants out. But there is nothing that he will sign with any team that gives him a spot.

He can still always go back to college so he can pick his spot.

So he wants out because he believes he's an NHL player, nothing to do with location, but he's going to go back to college for 2 more years to delay becoming an NHLer when he can be one by October?

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I think you are hoping for a Vatrano/perry/hyman type compliment top 6 player(not so much production example, just style).

I think it’s all about finding the right fit for him…. A team like Anaheim would like him becuase we have guys that are good at creating space and driving the play…. What we lack is guys that go to dirty areas and finish. I could see Anaheim being interested as a potential Vatrano replacement if we don’t feel confident in bringing him back

I do think Anaheim is a good landing spot for him, it's just the return potential that's iffy.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
For heaven's sake, this is so annoying. I'm not a Jets fan...but this whole nonsense is another example of how Canadian teams are playing in a cap and parity league, with one hand tied behind their backs. It's ridiculous.

We're not even talking about a kid who was born into some paradise and just doesn't want to go to frozen nothing Winnipeg. The guy was born in friggen' Nebraska for goodness sakes. :laugh: But he's part of that factory where the US runs these top level hockey players through a few very specific little funnels in Michigan, New England, or Minnesota from the time they're a dozen years old...and then they come out the other side with these baked in ideas about not playing in Canada, or forcing their way out as soon as possible.

There are still ways that the Jets can come out alright in this, if they make the right trade. Since they're clearly still in a "competitive window" anyway. It just ruffles my feathers real good when stuff like this comes up. Where it doesn't matter how much you do the right things at the draft, if you're a Canadian team...you've got a handicap when it comes to even keeping these guys.

Canada needs to open up a loophole and start indoctrinating their kids to refuse to play for American teams. :laugh: Though even then...like half the WHL division of the Canadian Hockey League is in the US at this point. So that probably ain't happening. :scared:
Let me guess, you didn't read the article?

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
This is a response to me referring to NYC as NY shitty! what's your iq bro?
You said it’s a deplorable place to live. Why dont you explain why? Fortunately, Rutger isnt running for office or anything and will just be a 20 year old millionaire where for that person theres not a better place on earth to reside

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
We could offer Jakob Chychrun and a 4th
Thanks but no. Chevy is not going to trade a top prospect for one year of Chychrun.

Ostapachuk and the Bruins 1st would be the more realistic offer. I would want Chevy to ask for Ridley Greig.

Chycrhun is an upgrade. I'd take him.

There aren't that many good RHD out there on the market. If Chychrun is being offered straight up Chevy takes it 100%. Holding out hope for something unlikely to happen is a good way to set yourself up for disappointment. It's highly unlikely we get a good RHD for a 20 year old prospect who has yet to play an NHL game.

Heck I'd imagine we won't even get Chychrun.
Chychrun is one year to UFA. That's a no go for the Jets.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Thanks but no. Chevy is not going to trade a top prospect for one year of Chychrun.

Ostapachuk and the Bruins 1st would be the more realistic offer. I would want Chevy to ask for Ridley Greig.
We’re not looking to trade Greig or ostapchuk. Chychrun is available and value is equal at least.
But if he’s not needed oh well

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
If Rutger decides where hes going, yes, price will be cheap. See, Fox, Adam.
Fox was already forcing his way out of his second team and would only sign in one place so that he could play in the city he wanted. That was pretty well known. Any team with an NHL roster spot would be very willing to pay up for McGroarty, given his bona fides.

Reactions: Mooche and gojetsgo

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Fox was already forcing his way out of his second team and would only sign in one place so that he could play in the city he wanted. That was pretty well known. Any team with an NHL roster spot would be very willing to pay up for McGroarty, given his bona fides.
If he wants to play in that city. That’s the issue. Is this player another Fox or Faber and will only play in one spot? If that’s the case, and the Jets can’t negotiate a fair trade with that club then best to let the kid sit until August 2026.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad