Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
They will just sign him for free in 2 years
Exactly! If this is another Faber get the best return from where he wants to play and move on. His new team gets him two years early and that has some value.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Canadian teams know the risks of drafting American born players but continue to do so anyways.
You have to weigh the individual player. I think it's a risk you want to assess in each circumstance. There's no question Canada is an inferior country for most wealthy and successful people.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
RHD is a weakness and I also think centres who are actually projected to be centres. We seem to draft players that play C in junior but project as wingers. Ironically the only one who looks to be a C at the NHL level is McGroarty.

The only centers we have that might be expendable are zegras and lundestrom…. We’d have to add to lundestrom and I assume you’d be targeting more of a 2c than a 3c.

And if we were moving zegras I feel like we’d want a significant add

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
That's not what was said.

Friedman said he reached out for comment, but the family advisor for Rutger isn't talking and the Jets aren't talking, but he's (Friedman) has heard his (Rutger) name in trade talks.

Reactions: DaveG and Heldig

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Minten plus #23OA

If he doesn't want to go to Canada I'd imagine Toronto is going to be a bit of an issue

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I think Pulock was discussed but pretty much settled on he's building a life on LI and wouldn't waive. Nelson is probably a bit old unless they want to just kick the youth can down the road another year, but I feel like they'll want to get a bit younger this year.
Is Winnipeg still in a "win now" enough of an approach... where a trade of UFA's to be in Nelson for Ehlers make sense?

Nelson is older than Ehlers, but does play the center position. Is Winnipeg looking to extend Ehlers?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The only centers we have that might be expendable are zegras and lundestrom…. We’d have to add to lundestrom and I assume you’d be targeting more of a 2c than a 3c.

And if we were moving zegras I feel like we’d want a significant add
Warren and Luneau?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Is Winnipeg still in a "win now" enough of an approach... where a trade of UFA's to be in Nelson for Ehlers make sense?

Nelson is older than Ehlers, but does play the center position. Is Winnipeg looking to extend Ehlers?

I think they'd like to but the talk is Ehlers isn't that interested. Swapping Ehlers for Nelson seems like filling one hole by making another.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Kyle Connor went to UofM and is signed here long term. Connor Hellebuyck re-signed long term. Blake Wheeler captained the team for years. Dustin Byfuglien was a fan favourite. Even Jacob Trouba played here until a year before he had the freedom to move on.
Trouba forced his way out, so did Roslo.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Trouba forced his way out, so did Roslo.

Trouba eventually forced his way out of Canada toward one specific market. Trouba played 6 seasons with Winnipeg. Roslovic played 3. The idea that the Jets shouldn't draft Americans because they might eventually not sign here isn't true.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I think they'd like to but the talk is Ehlers isn't that interested. Swapping Ehlers for Nelson seems like filling one hole by making another.
Last response on my part, as I don't want to derail the actual thread topic further... My perception was that Winnipeg was much stronger at wing and needing more at center? Is that incorrect?

Reactions: Heldig

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
If its an injury prone player + 2nd don't talk with the kid anymore and leave him in college for 4 years

Reactions: larmex99

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Warren and Luneau?

Warren might be discussion worthy, still pretty raw.

Luneau I can’t see us parting with(specially after trading drysdale)…. Team seems very high on Luneau…. And rhd is kinda our weak org weak spot. Outside of luneau and gudas I think our next best guy is helleson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad