Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Because you'll get a lot more if you trade him now to a team he's willing to sign with.

The NHL really needs to make it harsher on player doing this imo.
Will you? People are offering 2nds and late 1sts. Better off spending the next 2 years looking to change his mind or see if you can use him as a piece in a deadline deal.

Reactions: larmex99

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Listen to the actual comments a bit more insightful

Jets needs are 2C and top 4 RHD
Unfortunately, there are trade protections in place... But Brock Nelson and Ryan Pulock are two players Isles HFBoards have considered moving for a retool kind of trade. Both grew up close to Winnipeg Pulock (Dauphin, MB) and Nelson (Warroad, MN). But not sure that would be enough to have them waive.

Something around Pulock and Ehlers has already been discussed. Not sure if it can be opened up further to include a prospect like McGroarty. Also, not even sure if Winnipeg is focused on adding veterans like Nelson or Pulock or looking to go younger themselves. :dunno:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Winnipeg fans, you're going to get the full Montreal lowball experience now.
Been there done that. See PLD.

I think this is a nothing burger story BUT if this is a negotiation tactic by McGroarty's side to get traded it wont be to force a trade to Montreal LOL. Undoubtedly it will be to join one of his buddies (Gauthier in Anaheim).

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
"Included in trade talks" sounds a lot like Chevy has something bigger brewing and teams are asking about Rutger as an add-on

I understand why the decision to go back to Michigan for his 3rd year would raise some eyebrows but there are other possible reasons for him doing so aside from "he'll never sign in Winnipeg"

Reactions: Heldig

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Will you? People are offering 2nds and late 1sts. Better off spending the next 2 years looking to change his mind or see if you can use him as a piece in a deadline deal.
Yes, 'cause fans jumping on a rumour is a fantastic guide for what a player is really worth.

Gauthier did this and returned a top RHD prospect/young player in Drysdale and a 2nd round pick.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Canadian teams know the risks of drafting American born players but continue to do so anyways.

Kyle Connor went to UofM and is signed here long term. Connor Hellebuyck re-signed long term. Blake Wheeler captained the team for years. Dustin Byfuglien was a fan favourite. Even Jacob Trouba played here until a year before he had the freedom to move on.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Been there done that. SDee PLD.

I think this is a nothing burger story BUT if this is a negotiation tactic by McGroarty's side to get traded it wont be to force a trad to Montreal LOL. Undoubtedly it will be to join one of his buddies (Gauthier in Anaheim).
Yea, PV will love a guy like mcgroaty…. And I imagine mcgroaty has no issues going to Anaheim to play with his best friend cutter.

Just would be curious to see what a deal would look like or what does Winnipeg really need(we have 2+ picks in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd), bunch of rfas that might not have places here…. And a full prospect pool

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yea, PV will love a guy like mcgroaty…. And I imagine mcgroaty has no issues going to Anaheim to play with his best friend cutter.

Just would be curious to see what a deal would look like or what does Winnipeg really need(we have 2+ picks in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd), bunch of rfas that might not have places here…. And a full prospect pool

RHD is a weakness and I also think centres who are actually projected to be centres. We seem to draft players that play C in junior but project as wingers. Ironically the only one who looks to be a C at the NHL level is McGroarty.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Harsher on players for doing what? Should they be harsher on teams for deciding they don't want specific players anymore?
There is some validity to the argument though, although I’m not sure how you would address this. Organizations put a lot of resources into developing these guys whether it be skating and skills coaching, dieticians, academic tutoring/schooling or other (albeit some teams do nothing tbf). Maybe someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I remember hearing in conversation that 1st round pick teams get monetary compensation from the drafting team (heard this way back when Marner was drafted, the Knights got a pile of cash from TO).
Those are all large investments and it can all be tossed aside because someone doesn’t like the city, the team or wants to play with their friends.
Maybe the draftee should fulfil his ELC with his draft team?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Unfortunately, there are trade protections in place... But Brock Nelson and Ryan Pulock are two players Isles HFBoards have considered moving for a retool kind of trade. Both grew up close to Winnipeg Pulock (Dauphin, MB) and Nelson (Warroad, MN). But not sure that would be enough to have them waive.

Something around Pulock and Ehlers has already been discussed. Not sure if it can be opened up further to include a prospect like McGroarty. Also, not even sure if Winnipeg is focused on adding veterans like Nelson or Pulock or looking to go younger themselves. :dunno:

I think Pulock was discussed but pretty much settled on he's building a life on LI and wouldn't waive. Nelson is probably a bit old unless they want to just kick the youth can down the road another year, but I feel like they'll want to get a bit younger this year.

Reactions: CupHolders

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Kyle Connor went to UofM and is signed here long term. Connor Hellebuyck re-signed long term. Blake Wheeler captained the team for years. Dustin Byfuglien was a fan favourite. Even Jacob Trouba played here until a year before he had the freedom to move on.
I mean not only did they not draft Byfuglien or Wheeler … they were still playing in Atlanta when they acquired them.

Connor and Connor are good supporting points. That Trouba had to be moved before he even reached ufa status isn’t the positive you think it is. And Buff and Wheeler don’t apply to this discussion of Canadian teams drafting American at all - they were drafted American and joined the franchise when it was American based. Sure they extended in Winnipeg when they didn’t need to - the question isn’t whether older American players can grow to love Winnipeg, it’s whether the young ones might be more prone to seek their first ticket out more often than happens with other franchises.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
jet fans fall in love with their prospects way to much. they thought it was ok he didnt want to sign after year 2 as a 1st rounf pick. i hated it. i said i cant remember a 1st rounder not signing after 2 years. a 1st rounder playing 3 years in collage would be a step back in his development. they should think of trading him. well here we are. he should have been traded the day after he turned down his entry level.
I mean snuggerud is literally doing the same thing and was taken in the same first round lol.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
jet fans fall in love with their prospects way to much. they thought it was ok he didnt want to sign after year 2 as a 1st rounf pick. i hated it. i said i cant remember a 1st rounder not signing after 2 years. a 1st rounder playing 3 years in collage would be a step back in his development. they should think of trading him. well here we are. he should have been traded the day after he turned down his entry level.
Every fan base falls in love with their prospects

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I mean not only did they not draft Byfuglien or Wheeler … they were still playing in Atlanta when they acquired them.

Connor and Connor are good supporting points. That Trouba had to be moved before he even reached ufa status isn’t the positive you think it is. And Buff and Wheeler don’t apply to this discussion of Canadian teams drafting American at all - they were drafted American and joined the franchise when it was American based. Sure they extended in Winnipeg when they didn’t need to - the question isn’t whether older American players can grow to love Winnipeg, it’s whether the young ones might be more prone to seek their first ticket out more often than happens with other franchises.

Trouba had those rumours following him when he was drafted too. Trouba not staying in Canada long term isn't an indictment. We got a few good seasons out of him and a trade return. We also had Canadian PLD looking for his first ticket to a "premium" market so it's not just an American player thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad