Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I would be furious with my team if I was a Jets fan. I would think the team is headed in completely the wrong direction.

Everyone says that McGroarty is a terrific guy, and a true captain. Alienating someone like that suggests a team that is too stuck in their ways and has no flexibility.

Besides, so what that this team had a good regular season? They got blown out in round one by a team that has won one playoff series the last two years. The Jets have a style where they obviously draft well and trade well and even get okay value on their contracts, but for all their ability to spot talent and value, they struggle to actually make logical roster building decisions of what works and wins in this league.

Why do they only hire dinosaur coaches? Why do they need all these third line mediocrities to populate their lineup? Trading for players like Monahan and Toffoli is a true intelligence test. Not bad players by any means, but are not putting anyone over the top. Every time the Jets have a good team they trade for these slightly okay players that make no difference. It seems like the GM and ownership don't understand what the team needs to take that next step.

They should really be rebuilding. After all these years of getting nowhere near winning the Cup, why continue to be anywhere ranging from slightly mediocre to highly mediocre? And for all their concerns about having a competitive team to sell tickets and being worried about fans not wanting to show up to support the team, wouldn't you think that the fans would be most upset that it's a directionless franchise stuck in mediocrity?

If I was a fan, I would have total respect for acknowledging the team has failed the last 10 years to build a winner and trying things differently, even if the team wasn't competitive for a few years, is the smart plan.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
They need to come up with some type of way to fix this. Teams invest in these players and burn draft picks. I get players’ rights and all but these aren’t exactly 19th century coal miner working conditions and pay

Its not a difficult fix, but i would assume that it has to happen during cba negotiations. I'm also not sure if this is a priority care for the league.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
On one hand, I don’t like the idea that a 20 year old wants to force his way out because he wanted to be handed an NHL roster spot instead of earning it. On the other hand, Winnipeg has been dicking their top prospects around for years, so I kinda understand where McGroarty is coming from…
Explain dicking around top prospects "for years"?

You may have an argument with Perfetti. Other than that it has been with middling prospects.

Heinola had made the team last year but broke his leg.

Stnaley has been give too much opportunity.

A bust - Vesalainen - shouldn't count.

Reactions: Buffdog

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Explain dicking around top prospects "for years"?

You may have an argument with Perfetti. Other than that it has been with middling prospects.

Heinola had made the team last year but broke his leg.

Stnaley has been give too much opportunity.

A bust - Vesalainen - shouldn't count.
perfetti made the team at age 19 but got hurt 2 seasons in a row and last year went into a massive slump where he put up 1 point in 23 games, had he not gone in a slump he stays in the top 6 and we don't end up trading for toffoli at the deadline, he will also again start in the top 6 this season so I don't really think anyone can say he's been dicked around

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Where would he rank in this years draft ball park?
perfetti made the team at age 19 but got hurt 2 seasons in a row and last year went into a massive slump where he put up 1 point in 23 games, had he not gone in a slump he stays in the top 6 and we don't end up trading for toffoli at the deadline, he will also again start in the top 6 this season so I don't really think anyone can say he's been dicked around
He was absolutely dicked around. Although he may have not been putting up points, he was playing well, better than many, while being demoted and even replaced by an AHLr in AJF. He was never given the leash that many other have been given.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
He was absolutely dicked around. Although he may have not been putting up points, he was playing well, better than many, while being demoted and even replaced by an AHLr in AJF. He was never given the leash that many other have been given.
hard disagree, if he wasn't given a leash he would have been the first player taken out when we acquired monahan

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
He should earn it like everyone else. If he won’t I don’t know that I believe it’s just about playing time.
Maybe the American kid wants to play in the states closer to his family. Why should he have to play in Canada? He didn't ask the Jets to draft him.

Reactions: hn777

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Maybe the American kid wants to play in the states closer to his family. Why should he have to play in Canada? He didn't ask the Jets to draft him.
That is not how professional sports works. There are enough advantages for certain markets now without essentially abolishing the draft (which is what your post implies).

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
That is not how professional sports works. There are enough advantages for certain markets now without essentially abolishing the draft (which is what your post implies).
Fox got drafted and forced his way. I don't see fans complaining about that. It happens all the time

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Fox got drafted and forced his way. I don't see fans complaining about that. It happens all the time
What????

Certain teams benefit a TON from being in preferred markets. The draft exists so that all teams have access to prospects otherwise the have teams will always get the premium players and you have a two tier league.

Some questionable character players with talent have forced their way to their preferred team for sure but that is the exception not the rule. And 100% those players are hated in their original markets.

Reactions: DaveG

Ledge And Dairy

Fox is literally booed every time he touches the puck in Calgary. The Flames Reddit had a thread like 2 weeks ago about the most hated NHL players and Fox was a consensus #1 (Kesler was #2 but he's retired). You can pretty much guarantee the same thing will happen to Gauthier in Philly

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
hard disagree, if he wasn't given a leash he would have been the first player taken out when we acquired monahan
Seriously? His minutes diminished substantially. His PP time, especially when we could have used his vision and passing, was cut and he was relegated to B6 minutes and the PB in favour of an AHLr. He was more effective than most even during his drought, yet was treated like a leper in many cases.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Then you weren’t paying attention
You got the player you wanted, and he got what he wanted
The team(s) involved in the NHL draft process?
Not so much

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Seriously? His minutes diminished substantially. His PP time, especially when we could have used his vision and passing, was cut and he was relegated to B6 minutes and the PB in favour of an AHLr. He was more effective than most even during his drought, yet was treated like a leper in many cases.
yeah, his mins were cut after he didn't put up points playing in the top 6... what do you expect to happen?

Reactions: Buffdog

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
When he was drafted by the Jets I joked “Can’t wait to see Rutger in a Rangers Jersey”

Prophetic.

Once again shows how hard it is to build a team in a small Canadian market. Chevy has done well in WPG overall and Jets fans should appreciate. Oilers fans should feel lucky they picked the ONE strategy that could work for them to build a Cup contender and executed it on it.

10YearsAfter

Feb 11, 2014
Connecticut
I'd say the handling of Perfetti was a major factor in McGroarty's decision - and frankly I think a reasonable Jets fan would be hard pressed to disagree

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad