Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I'd say the handling of Perfetti was a major factor in McGroarty's decision - and frankly I think a reasonable Jets fan would be hard pressed to disagree
Add in Heinola and to degrees Roslo, Kova and Chisholm. All guys who were limited in their chances in the NHL for what ever reasons. Some their own, some management.
As a rookie coming in, it should give them pause and make them question their direction within the team.
I agree that we shouldn’t cave to anyone demanding spots in the lineup, but for a draft and develop organization, we are pretty shitty at integrating them to the degrees as other do. Sometimes we run too tight of a leash and these news guys coming in are noticing.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Reading this thread is just full of people who took the original tweet that was just shared incorrectly and then taking that as he doesn't want to play in Winnipeg because Winnipeg is Winnipeg.

Seems he doesn't want to stay there because he was ready to come out and play and Winnipeg wasn't ready for that.

This situation seems awfully similar to the flyers and Gauthier

10YearsAfter

Feb 11, 2014
Connecticut
Reading this thread is just full of people who took the original tweet that was just shared incorrectly and then taking that as he doesn't want to play in Winnipeg because Winnipeg is Winnipeg.

Seems he doesn't want to stay there because he was ready to come out and play and Winnipeg wasn't ready for that.

This situation seems awfully similar to the flyers and Gauthier
trust me Gauthier's is worse. he like a little spoiled brat that gave the new GM Briere & his associates no opportunity to reset the relationship

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
For heaven's sake, this is so annoying. I'm not a Jets fan...but this whole nonsense is another example of how Canadian teams are playing in a cap and parity league, with one hand tied behind their backs. It's ridiculous.

We're not even talking about a kid who was born into some paradise and just doesn't want to go to frozen nothing Winnipeg. The guy was born in friggen' Nebraska for goodness sakes. :laugh: But he's part of that factory where the US runs these top level hockey players through a few very specific little funnels in Michigan, New England, or Minnesota from the time they're a dozen years old...and then they come out the other side with these baked in ideas about not playing in Canada, or forcing their way out as soon as possible.

There are still ways that the Jets can come out alright in this, if they make the right trade. Since they're clearly still in a "competitive window" anyway. It just ruffles my feathers real good when stuff like this comes up. Where it doesn't matter how much you do the right things at the draft, if you're a Canadian team...you've got a handicap when it comes to even keeping these guys.

Canada needs to open up a loophole and start indoctrinating their kids to refuse to play for American teams. :laugh: Though even then...like half the WHL division of the Canadian Hockey League is in the US at this point. So that probably ain't happening. :scared:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
For heaven's sake, this is so annoying. I'm not a Jets fan...but this whole nonsense is another example of how Canadian teams are playing in a cap and parity league, with one hand tied behind their backs. It's ridiculous.

We're not even talking about a kid who was born into some paradise and just doesn't want to go to frozen nothing Winnipeg. The guy was born in friggen' Nebraska for goodness sakes. :laugh: But he's part of that factory where the US runs these top level hockey players through a few very specific little funnels in Michigan, New England, or Minnesota from the time they're a dozen years old...and then they come out the other side with these baked in ideas about not playing in Canada, or forcing their way out as soon as possible.

There are still ways that the Jets can come out alright in this, if they make the right trade. Since they're clearly still in a "competitive window" anyway. It just ruffles my feathers real good when stuff like this comes up. Where it doesn't matter how much you do the right things at the draft, if you're a Canadian team...you've got a handicap when it comes to even keeping these guys.

Canada needs to open up a loophole and start indoctrinating their kids to refuse to play for American teams. :laugh: Though even then...like half the WHL division of the Canadian Hockey League is in the US at this point. So that probably ain't happening. :scared:
Canada needs to open up schools to teach reading comprehension.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WINNIPEG THE CITY BUT RATHER THAT HE THOUGHT HE WAS READY AND THE JETS THOUGHT OTHERWISE.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I’ve always wondered what exactly these prospects that want a guaranteed spot have in mind. Like if they were getting top 6 minutes and scoreless in 20 games would they be pissed if they were demoted or sent down?

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Yet here we are with all these armchair GM thinking that he will just sign, be happy and a dedicated team player.

How easily everyone wants to forget players like Dubois...and more like him will be showing up.

Hockey is getting basketballized...
I had the same thought. The Lebron James effect.

These USNTDP kids go join super teams in Michigan, BC, etc and then feel entitled to jump right into an nhl lineup.

I mean Winnipeg was one of the top teams in the league, you really think you can demand a lineup spot immediately?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Canada needs to open up schools to teach reading comprehension.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WINNIPEG THE CITY BUT RATHER THAT HE THOUGHT HE WAS READY AND THE JETS THOUGHT OTHERWISE.

That is certainly not written anywhere in the OP and is complete fabrication in any case.

It's not about Winnipeg the city, specifically. It's about the way these players come up through a system that biases them toward wanting to play for specific US markets. And wanting to play on their timeline as part of the program. It's a clear competitive advantage for those teams. A disadvantage for Canadian teams.

I'd also probably be cautious of throwing stones from the glass house that is the US public education system.

Making your text bigger doesn't make it more correct.

• Haha
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Connor McMichael as a base for Rutger? McMichael may be surplus to requirements in Washington with the acquisition of PLD and the Caps have a need for another top six winger. McMike centered each of the top three lines last year and is a very good two-way player that can play now for Winnipeg if they’re not interested in futures.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I had the same thought. The Lebron James effect.

These USNTDP kids go join super teams in Michigan, BC, etc and then feel entitled to jump right into an nhl lineup.

I mean Winnipeg was one of the top teams in the league, you really think you can demand a lineup spot immediately?
Hard disagree. If he signs a contract with Winnipeg he is no longer eligible to return to college.

Before signing a contract, it is more then fair to ask the employer where they plan to send you and how much money you will be making. These are standard questions for anybody seeking employment.

The offer didn’t sound enticing. So he merely said no thanks, I would rather return to college.

Doen’t sound like he has demanded anything. Got a job offer to play in the AHL for 70k. He can probably make close to that in NIL money at Michigan AND get an education.

Last edited:

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
That is certainly not written anywhere in the OP and is complete fabrication in any case.

It's not about Winnipeg the city, specifically. It's about the way these players come up through a system that biases them toward wanting to play for specific US markets. And wanting to play on their timeline as part of the program. It's a clear competitive advantage for those teams. A disadvantage for Canadian teams.

I'd also probably be cautious of throwing stones from the glass house that is the US public education system.

I don't think you are caught up on the reporting.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Canadian teams know the risks of drafting American born players but continue to do so anyways.
Winnipeg had years and years of Wheeler being their best player and just resigned hellebuyck long term.

Ottawa has Tkachuk, Norris, and Sanderson all locked up long-term.

Vancouver has Miller, Hughes, and Boeser locked up and apparently are front runners for Guentzel.

Leafs just resigned Matthews.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Hard disagree. If he signs a contract with Winnipeg he is no longer eligible to return to college.

Before signing a contract, it is more then fair to ask the employer where they plan to send you and how much money you will be making. These are standard questions for anybody seeking employment.

The offer didn’t sound enticing. So he merely said no thanks, I would rather return to college.

Doen’t sound like he has demanded anything. Got a job offer to play in the AHL for 70k. He can probably make close to that in NIL money at Michigan AND get an education.
Didn’t think college players could earn income?

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
What kind of stupid name is Rutger anyway?

If a good trade doesn’t materialize just wait. Take the second round compensation and show kids they have to play 4 years in the NCAA and possibly stunt their development
And possibly 15-16 million dollars. If he comes into the league and sets it on fire, those are two prime years he spent in college instead of collecting a paycheck. Look at Caufield. Came out when he was ready, had one great year and started collecting his $7.8 million in his age 22 season. McGroarty will be starting his ELC. Cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Except it does.

OP used a twitter that isn't even correct.

No idea what the comment about the American public education system has to do with anything when I'm not American.

This may not be a baseball forum, but my man you've struck out and should just sit this one out.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't think you are caught up on the reporting.

Probably not completely, but it's also a story i've read dozens of times before.

Suffice to say, Player comes up through US National Team Development Program, including funneling through one of the NCAA "superteams". Now, wants immediate guaranteed NHL time and/or wants to pick his NHL landing spot. Not signing with the drafting team and applying pressure to deal him to wherever he wants to go, whenever he wants to go there. Leveraged against the threat of simply not signing with that drafting team and dissolving into nothing as an asset.

People like to act as though, "oh it's fine because it's just players choosing their own employer like you would in the normal world". But glossing over the fact that it is not an open and free labour market. It's a Salary Capped, collectively bargained binding agreement that artificially limits other forms of "employment preference".

I'm not even strictly against players being able to choose their employer and landing spot per se. I just think it's a bit ridiculous to have this obvious distortion in the "parity market" that creates un unreasonable competitive advantage for specific teams over others...when we have so many rules in place specifically to limit the potential competitive advantages of other specific teams.

It's about the litany of similar instances of exactly this sort of "disagreement" ultimately leading to the same outcome. Whether it's collegiate prospects or RFAs. However it's framed to be about something else, it always ends the same way.

At some point, i just don't really care about what special unique "window dressing" their agent (errrm..."player representative" :laugh: ) throws on top of it to obfuscate the point. We all know deep down, exactly what is going on here and how it's going to end up. And it's not with this player suiting up for the Jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad