Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
In a vacuum, there’s no way the Jets should get anything less than a top 10 pick or top 10 pick value for a guy who they picked 14th overall two seasons ago, has developed very well and plays with the kind of powerful physical style and on-ice leadership GM’s salivate and who could probably not look out of place in an NHL game tomorrow. Frankly I’d take McGroarty in my system over the 2024 8th, 9th or 10th overall pick pretty easily but how teams stack this years group remains to be seen.

The only question if we are headed to a trade is how much, if any, does a loss of leverage hurt a potential return. The saving grace for the Jet is this certainly does not seem like a “I only want to go one place” kind of situation - and interest in McGroarty, as shown already in this thread, will be exceptionally high.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
So the kid wants an NHL spot right off the bat and Chevy doesn't want to guarantee that... sort of fair on both sides. Can ask for it.

NCAA is a shallow league, top 5 regular contenders then everyone else. play like 35-40 games a year, fly etc.. However, the top guys are very good no doubt. I'm just not sure the points hold as much weight is what im saying.

I would have hesitations as well. Jets are deep and want to contend. Perfetti has to get in there as well.

Many non-crosby/mcdavid superstars have played a number of years in the AHL before they made it. I would want to see the guy on a 82 game schedule with some bus rides as well.

Maybe just a bad mix at the current time. Trade value should be fine.

I LOVE what Conny is doing in Calgary going with a pretty much all russian/canadian line up due to these exact situations.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
What is he worth in the draft next week? I’d love to get him in NJ but other Devils fans are telling me #10 is too much. What would Winnipeg need to add?

I don't think 10 is too much, I'm just not sure how much interest Winnipeg has in a pick for him. I figured they may go the Philadelphia route and trade him for a prospect that has some promise but maybe hasn't blow up yet.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
In a vacuum, there’s no way the Jets should get anything less than a top 10 pick or top 10 pick value for a guy who they picked 14th overall two seasons ago, has developed very well and plays with the kind of powerful physical style and on-ice leadership GM’s salivate and who could probably not look out of place in an NHL game tomorrow. Frankly I’d take McGroarty in my system over the 2024 8th, 9th or 10th overall pick pretty easily but how teams stack this years group remains to be seen.

The only question if we are headed to a trade is how much, if any, does a loss of leverage hurt a potential return. The saving grace for the Jet is this certainly does not seem like a “I only want to go one place” kind of situation - and interest in McGroarty, as shown already in this thread, will be exceptionally high.
from the reports it seems like all it comes down to is playing in the nhl, so as long as he can see a path to play in the nhl next season he will sign with any team

Reactions: kenobiwan

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Anybody who says the 2024 #10 is too much is drinking way too much draft kool-aid with the draft right around the corner. This is the time of year we all read the scouting reports, get ourselves frothed up, and want to believe the “exceptional” version of every outcome for any prospect our team may be looking at picking.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
For some reason I thought Brindley was from Michigan as well, but he's a Florida kid. We also game Blankenberg, even though he's been buried in Cleveland. He's more than capable as a 7/8 guy if he can stay healthy
Brindley's dad is from Thunder Bay Ontario and his mom is from Coschocton Ohio, they met in university at Miami, eventually settled down in Estero Florida.

Reactions: CBJx614

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Struble/Harris/Beck/Mailloux/Barron + #26

for

McGroarty

Then, Montreal brings the US U20 band back together at the draft with Hutson, McGroarty and Buium in a big hug picture.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think it's more that he wants a guaranteed spot instead of coming to training camp and earning it
Well, he's going to have to be in training camp anyway if he signs. He knows that. Maybe there's something else that's not mentioned.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I respect Winnipeg for telling the kid he has to earn his spot.

It’s also understandable from the kids perspective. He’s seen Casey Nazar Fantilli and Brindley step in. Why is it different for me?

Chicago, Columbus, Montreal can offer him a spot the teams are so unserious right now. I can’t wrap my head around New York gifting this kid a spot on the roster.

Chicago easily does 18 and Kaiser, Allan, or Reichel for him.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
In fairness, playing 40 games at a top NCAA being the top dog sounds pretty nice/easy/your a somebody.

I wouldn't want to play in the AHL either given those are the two choices. especially if he's getting a comparable 100-200K in Michigan booster NIL money, same or more then he would Make in the AHL.

It's better in the NCAA forsure in terms of comfort and lifestyle, even more so if he's getting paid somehow.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Anybody who says the 2024 #10 is too much is drinking way too much draft kool-aid with the draft right around the corner. This is the time of year we all read the scouting reports, get ourselves frothed up, and want to believe the “exceptional” version of every outcome for any prospect our team may be looking at picking.
I don’t disagree, but Cutter Gauthier was turned down by Montreal in exchange for their pick last year so they could take Reinbacher. Value gets really weird with these draft picks.

I would be pretty happy as a Flyers fan if they traded the 12th pick for McGroarty this year, as long as there are no really surprising fallers.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I don't think 10 is too much, I'm just not sure how much interest Winnipeg has in a pick for him. I figured they may go the Philadelphia route and trade him for a prospect that has some promise but maybe hasn't blow up yet.
That does make sense, especially given that the Jets have some prominent holes in the roster moving forward.

It also mitigates the negative optics of dealing him straight across for a pick. If the pick is in the teens or lower - I mean that’s just bad…and even if the pick is slightly higher than where you picked McGroarty at #14 - it looks like a guy you “hit on” and has been developing well for two seasons is having to be moved for the Jets to only have to start the precarious first two years of runway of development all over again on another prospect.

If you can grab an under-25 who looks like he could be ready soon to bridge that 2C or 4D gap and be a guy you build with…it can be framed as a move to win. Only if it’s the kind of talent really worthy of that high of a pick value though…like Drysdale, whatever you think of his current trajectory, definitely still had the cache of a top, top pick and talent when the Flyers dealt Cutter for him.

Last edited:

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Jets don't really need wingers, 2C and top 4 RHD are their needs, players or prospects that fill those needs
If the TML are willing to move on from Liljegren that might work. I like Lily and think he gets a bad rap but he just need a coach to believe in him and deploy him with a defensive partner so he can lead break outs.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If the TML are willing to move on from Liljegren that might work. I like Lily and think he gets a bad rap but he just need a coach to believe in him and deploy him with a defensive partner so he can lead break outs.
If traded I have no doubt Chevy will do well via trade he always does, if he is traded I suspect it will be for one of our needs (2C or top 4 rhd) or a good pick. As Friedman said Rutger would be very coveted by other GMs

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
We are in a golden generation of Americans just deciding to pick and choose wherever they want…

Adam Fox - RANGERS
Hayes - RANGERS
Wheeler - BRUINS
Adam Fantilly - CANADA
Cutter Gauthier - ANAHEIM
Rutger - TBD

There must be something in the water down there- U just dont see this trending with Canadian players with no experience

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I respect Winnipeg for telling the kid he has to earn his spot.

It’s also understandable from the kids perspective. He’s seen Casey Nazar Fantilli and Brindley step in. Why is it different for me?

Chicago, Columbus, Montreal can offer him a spot the teams are so unserious right now. I can’t wrap my head around New York gifting this kid a spot on the roster.

Chicago easily does 18 and Kaiser, Allan, or Reichel for him.
If Chicaog offers Reichel and the 16th we will know the GM is clueless.

We are in a golden generation of Americans just deciding to pick and choose wherever they want…

Adam Fox - RANGERS
Hayes - RANGERS
Wheeler - BRUINS
Adam Fantilly - CANADA
Cutter Gauthier - ANAHEIM
Rutger - TBD

There must be something in the water down there- U just dont see this trending with Canadian players with no experience
When did Columbus move to Canada.???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad