Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
This is a tough situation. As a Flames fan we saw this with 2 prospects who both went to the Rags. One of them won a Norris trophy. It's why I think you've got to find players who care about hockey in Canada. Not how close broadway stage productions are.

Story in the Athletic is that he thinks he's more ready than the Jets do. I wouldn't say a Canadian team wouldn't be an eventual destination.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Monahan shouldn’t be re-signed regardless…should never have been acquired to begin with.
RM should be traded… he’s showing his personality/attitude and it’s not what we need
What's wrong with his personality? It's not that he doesn't want to play in Winnipeg, he wants to play in the NHL, he's ambitious and confident. He seemed to have a great season.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Almost every signal out there has been that his decisions are about wanting to play in the NHL immediately. There has never been a peep about the city of Winnipeg being a problem for him. It sounds like copium to make this about yet another dastardly American college kid that doesn't want to play in Canada.

McGroarty wants to play in the NHL right now. Thats the issue. This was the issue with Gauthier and Philadelphia a year ago. People make these kids into terrible people that hate their cities. In reality, they feel they are NHL players at a certain point and don't really care where that is. If the team that drafts them doesn't think so, they are going to ask for a trade.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Jets are getting Gauthiered too.

This generation of kids smh

Almost every signal out there has been that his decisions are about wanting to play in the NHL immediately. There has never been a peep about the city of Winnipeg being a problem for him. It sounds like copium to make this about yet another dastardly American college kid that doesn't want to play in Canada.

McGroarty wants to play in the NHL right now. Thats the issue. This was the issue with Gauthier and Philadelphia a year ago. People make these kids into terrible people that hate their cities. In reality, they feel they are NHL players at a certain point and don't really care where that is. If the team that drafts them doesn't think so, they are going to ask for a trade.
Philly was happy to sign Gauthier to a contract. He quit talking to them.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
So…playing matchmaker with recent rumors…

What do the Canes need to add to Necas to pull McGroarty and Ehlers or what does WPG need to add to McGroarty to land Necas?

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
What's wrong with his personality? It's not that he doesn't want to play in Winnipeg, he wants to play in the NHL, he's ambitious and confident. He seemed to have a great season.
I think it's more that he wants a guaranteed spot instead of coming to training camp and earning it

So…playing matchmaker with recent rumors…

What do the Canes need to add to Necas to pull McGroarty and Ehlers or what does WPG need to add to McGroarty to land Necas?
I think necas + d prospect for mcg + ehlers could work out

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

It's in today's just released 32 thoughts podcast.

Keep in mind that if they trade him, McGroarty is probably going to be picking his destination. He has all kinds of leverage.
yes and no. He so far has committed to go back to UNI for year 3. IF he goes back for year 4 he can become a UFA. Jets have to decide is the return they get for him better then the 2nd they get if he walks away?

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
For not signing/reporting to the team who spent assets in drafting and developing them.
The players are pretty well protected in the NHL as far as teams deciding they don't want a certain player. The contracts are guaranteed...
Just so I understand, you prefer players not have any power to choose their employer until, what, age 28? Most don't even last that long.

It's very weird to me how often people choose to support the side that holds the vast majority of the power. It's a real testament to the power of PR.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I think it's more that he wants a guaranteed spot instead of coming to training camp and earning it

Think you’d have something there.

Though I don’t think the Canes would deal Morrow, who’d the Jets would likely ask for. Maybe they’d be interested in Heimosalmi? Doubt that. The Canes have Nystrom (Swedish RD playing in the SHL) and Forsmark (another Swedish D in the SHL, LD) to offer, but not sure those would be appealing. Nikishin is a nonstarter.

What about Jack Drury as as add on or a foward prospect like Noel Gunler or Glen Trikozov?

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

Though I don’t think the Canes would deal Morrow, who’d the Jets would likely ask for. Maybe they’d be interested in Heimosalmi? Doubt that. The Canes have Nystrom (Swedish RD playing in the SHL) and Forsmark (another Swedish D in the SHL, LD) to offer, but not sure those would be appealing.

What about Jack Drury as as add on or a foward prospect like Noel Gunler or Glen Trikozov?
we have soo many forward prospects and only 2 d so I don't think we would really be interested in forwards unless they have 2c potential

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

Though I don’t think the Canes would deal Morrow, who’d the Jets would likely ask for. Maybe they’d be interested in Heimosalmi? Doubt that. The Canes have Nystrom (Swedish RD playing in the SHL) and Forsmark (another Swedish D in the SHL, LD) to offer, but not sure those would be appealing. Nikishin is a nonstarter.

With Nikishin and Morrow as no-gos, we can stop right there.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
yes and no. He so far has committed to go back to UNI for year 3. IF he goes back for year 4 he can become a UFA. Jets have to decide is the return they get for him better then the 2nd they get if he walks away?
Remember Cooley committed last year too then signed in July.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
No you don't, Larkin, DeBrincat, Copp, Petry(+Czarnik & Mazur) and you have Werenski and Waddell. And Wings have one Buckeye in GR.
For some reason I thought Brindley was from Michigan as well, but he's a Florida kid. We also game Blankenberg, even though he's been buried in Cleveland. He's more than capable as a 7/8 guy if he can stay healthy

Reactions: SantosHalper

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Detroit has an NHL ready prospect sitting in their backyard, who’s local, fills a need, and they have the assets to acquire him rather easily.

We’d have to assume they’re on the phone.

As for kids doing this??? NHL teams know the risk when they make the pick. The kid is bypassing “Earning Years” he’ll never get back if he follows through with the threats. From the kid’s perspective, yes, there will be some initial negative reputation stuff, but it’s more than worth it, being able to almost choose where you spend your 20s.

I’m the first one to feel for Winnipeg being from a small Canadian town, but this is nothing new for KC and the Jets. They’ll get a nice piece in return and move on.

Reactions: kenobiwan

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

That's where things get hairy...the Canes blueline specs look like Nikishin, Morrow, then a big drop-off to ???

Heimosalmi, Fensore, Honka, Forsmark? There's a big gap there between too much and seemingly not enough.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Detroit has an NHL ready prospect sitting in their backyard, who’s local, fills a need, and they have the assets to acquire him rather easily.

We’d have to assume they’re on the phone.

As for kids doing this??? NHL teams know the risk when they make the pick. The kid is bypassing “Earning Years” he’ll never get back if he follows through with the threats. From the kid’s perspective, yes, there will be some initial negative reputation stuff, but it’s more than worth it, being able to almost choose where you spend your 20s.

I’m the first one to feel for Winnipeg being from a small Canadian town, but this is nothing new for KC and the Jets. They’ll get a nice piece in return and move on.

What do you think it would cost Detroit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad