Post-Game Talk: Jets 2 Coliers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
It's worth noting that this season, when the defence has been deliberately charged with contributing more offence, and our forward corps are so depleted...

Morrissey (47%) and Pionk (18%) are responsible for 65% of our points from defensemen.
Morrissey is obviously doing the lion's share of the work, but Pionk, despite his defensive struggles, is playing an important offensive role. Last night was Exhibit A.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
I lived in Edmonton for 8 years, but was able to make my escape. They have serious Calgary-envy and do nothing but compare themselves to Calgary. Edmonton has the exact same socio-economic issues as we do, don't be fooled if they say they are leagues about Winnipeg; trust me, they are not. When Winnipeg was awarded a second franchise, I can't tell you how many of them exclaimed we didn't deserve another team because we weren't a big-city metropolis like them. And I think someone on that thread was trying to imply Edmonton is like Manhattan 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

A few photos of beautiful Edmonton

View attachment 628896View attachment 628897View attachment 628898View attachment 628899

View attachment 628900

Needless to say I had to knock a few people down from their self-imposed deluded pedestals. I mean, their claim to fame is...........an outdated shopping centre!!! Oh, and the fact that Alberta has oil. Which is the ONLY reason Alberta does well economically (and poorly as well during slump times). So as a former temporary Deadmontonian, I would advise current residents to not go knocking other cities. Take a look in the mirror and clean up your own back yard first.

I also lived in Lethbridge. Loved that city and the people there; by far classier than their northern counterparts.
Edmonton: more rednecks per 60, with less culture than Winnipeg. Whats not to love?

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I know that the checking and defensive play isn’t as good in the World Juniors, but I couldn’t help but thinking last night during the Jets game that the passing, team play and speed seems so much better in the World Juniors than what we saw last night.
Certainly more exciting hockey and so much less choppy.
But, glad to get out of Edmonton with two points after that ugly game.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'm guessing it was the flu and if that was the case, I am thoroughly impressed with the boys.

Snapping McJesus' points streak was almost a good as winning the game. My god he's just so far above every other player in the league. I think it's fair to say he's the best player to ever skate in the nhl. I don't want to get into era adjustments, but it's just a fact.

Heinola built off his last solid game and was real good in this one. You can start to see the game slowing down for him. Has he turned a corner?

I don't really need to see any more of Harkins. He just isn't good enough. An Ahler who just can't make the jump. He'd be fine a a 4th line but the problem is we have like 6 guys for that role better than him.

Samberg just needs to go down for a while. More terrible plays last night that thankfully did not end up in our net.

Norrissey just doing Norrissey thangs.

The Oilers threw everything they had at an ill, injury ravaged team and still couldn't win. They had the edge in energy but the jets just played within their capabilities, and kept the high danger chances down, and when we gave one up, Helle said no, thanks.

What a way to start the new year.
For me right now my order of demotion upon the return of Perfetti, Ehlers and Maenalanen would be Eyssimont first, Barron second, not so much because Barron is playing terrible, but I think he needs the message to do more, play hungrier, and he's waiver exempt. third Harkins.

I'm hoping Kristian Reichel gets a chance to stay up for a bit, because he was good on the Dubois line. He made the one pass there where Duby noticed because it was quick and put in a good shooting position. He didn't fall down, and unlike Gagner he can skate with that line.

Dylan Samberg like David Gustafsson deserves some credit for their work on the PK. Shutting down the #1 PP was not easy, that was a battle I enjoyed watching right to the end.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I loved my time in Edmonton. A great city and great people. Winnipeg and Edmontonians should not be firing shots at each other's cities, because pot, kettle, etc.

I have an interesting question:

Which of the following leads to more wins for their team:

Edmonton's Connor?

Winnipeg's two Connors?

It's so juvenile and stupid.

I hate it when it happens to us.

Thanks to the mods for their hard work!
I've posed that question before.... if you were given the choice between McDavid and Hellebuyck who would you build a team around?

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
For me right now my order of demotion upon the return of Perfetti, Ehlers and Maenalanen would be Eyssimont first, Barron second, not so much because Barron is playing terrible, but I think he needs the message to do more, play hungrier, and he's waiver exempt. third Harkins.

I'm hoping Kristian Reichel gets a chance to stay up for a bit, because he was good on the Dubois line. He made the one pass there where Duby noticed because it was quick and put in a good shooting position. He didn't fall down, and unlike Gagner he can skate with that line.

Dylan Samberg like David Gustafsson deserves some credit for their work on the PK. Shutting down the #1 PP was not easy, that was a battle I enjoyed watching right to the end.
I have to strongly disagree with Barron.
He’s so good along the boards and I think his effort level has been among the best on the team. He’s also great on the PK.
He also has some offensive upside that I’m sure will continue to grow.
I think he’s been one of the best additions we’ve made.
Am I watching him with rose coloured glasses or something?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I'm guessing it was the flu and if that was the case, I am thoroughly impressed with the boys.

Snapping McJesus' points streak was almost a good as winning the game. My god he's just so far above every other player in the league. I think it's fair to say he's the best player to ever skate in the nhl. I don't want to get into era adjustments, but it's just a fact.

Heinola built off his last solid game and was real good in this one. You can start to see the game slowing down for him. Has he turned a corner?

I don't really need to see any more of Harkins. He just isn't good enough. An Ahler who just can't make the jump. He'd be fine a a 4th line but the problem is we have like 6 guys for that role better than him.

Samberg just needs to go down for a while. More terrible plays last night that thankfully did not end up in our net.

Norrissey just doing Norrissey thangs.

The Oilers threw everything they had at an ill, injury ravaged team and still couldn't win. They had the edge in energy but the jets just played within their capabilities, and kept the high danger chances down, and when we gave one up, Helle said no, thanks.

What a way to start the new year.

When I said after the Wild game that the Jets also try to shut it down in the 3rd with a lead, this is what I was talking about.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I have to strongly disagree with Barron.
He’s so good along the boards and I think his effort level has been among the best on the team. He’s also great on the PK.
He also has some offensive upside that I’m sure will continue to grow.
I think he’s been one of the best additions we’ve made.
Am I watching him with rose coloured glasses or something?
You may be right on that player, certainly with Lowry as his centre instead of Stenlund he'll get more scoring chances. He does possess a better shot than a lot of the players he is competing with. He is contributing to the PK right now, but I am not sure he'll still have a spot there when Maenalanen comes back. Because Stenlund is going to stick around as long as he wins RH draws.

Flyby

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2022
You may be right on that player, certainly with Lowry as his centre instead of Stenlund he'll get more scoring chances. He does possess a better shot than a lot of the players he is competing with. He is contributing to the PK right now, but I am not sure he'll still have a spot there when Maenalanen comes back. Because Stenlund is going to stick around as long as he wins RH draws.
I think it is Gagne that should be the first to come out. Barron has been very useful and I have time for him to wait for the offence to show up. And I think that Samberg was a warrior out there tonight and did many more good things then bad, especially on the Pk. Did you see him limping to the dressing room at the end of the game? He battled.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
View attachment 628947

This is posted to highlight one stat... GA.

giphy.gif
It definitely highlights that the Blues kept the wrong goalie

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

If that was the only Jets game you watched all season I can see why someone would think they're not very good. They certainly stole this one.

If you thought that was the Jets regular roster I could see why you would think they were not very good.

'They' didn't steal this one. Hellebuyck stole this one.

Reactions: Jets 31

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Everyone looks good on the PLD line at first... I don't see reichels play as any different from eyssimont etc

Reactions: LowLefty

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think it is Gagne that should be the first to come out. Barron has been very useful and I have time for him to wait for the offence to show up. And I think that Samberg was a warrior out there tonight and did many more good things then bad, especially on the Pk. Did you see him limping to the dressing room at the end of the game? He battled.
I agree with Gagner. I think it's great that he got 1000 games as a Jet but he's become a very limited player on a team that wants to use their size and speed. My guess at a January 15th lineup is something like

Connor-Dubois-Ehlers
Perfetti-Scheifele-Kuhlman (who probably doesn't belong there)
Barron-Lowry-Maenalanen
Flowby-Gustafsson-Stenlund
Gagner in the PB, Harkins maybe stays there too until someone else comes back. Wheeler or Stanley.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I agree with Gagner. I think it's great that he got 1000 games as a Jet but he's become a very limited player on a team that wants to use their size and speed. My guess at a January 15th lineup is something like

Connor-Dubois-Ehlers
Barron-Lowry-Maenalanen
Gagner in the PB, Harkins maybe stays there too until someone else comes back. Wheeler or Stanley.
How long is Apples out

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We are missing Ehlers, Wheeler, Perfetti, Appleton, and Schmidt. That's 5 starters out of 20 , i don't expect alot from that many guys missing. There isn't a team in the NHL that wouldn't be affected by that many starters out of their lineup. Luckily we have one of the best goalies in the league to keep us in games and win games for us. McJesus had 74 points going into last night's game and got absolutely nothing against us, that is a great job by Helly and the Moose.:nod:

You left out Maenalanen. He was also a starter. Also Stanley but he was not necessarily a starter. So that is 6 starters out of 18 skaters.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Everyone looks good on the PLD line at first... I don't see reichels play as any different from eyssimont etc
There's one thing I notice, and I don't have any statistical data to back it up, but there's a lot of turnovers that come from having LH shots play their offside taking the puck off the boards in the defensive zone, because they are being forced to make a strong play on their backhand, or try to force the puck up the boards, and battle it out. And that usually doesn't result in possession. Getting the puck on your forehand allows you to see the ice better, and move the puck into better spaces.

Reichel generated offense in the same spot last year too. It could just be a flash in the pan, the adrenalin of the game. But as a player in that situation I think Reichel is a smarter player than Eyssimont, he is much more aware of defensive details, which allows the defensemen to be more aggressive, and being a RH shot can change some of the angles of attack. I'd like to see Bones run the same line against Calgary see if it works again.

How long is Apples out
A while. He still has to see a doctor, but I think that's the longest term injury on the Jets.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Connor-Dubois-Ehlers
Barron-Lowry-Maenalanen
When is wheeler back?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The negativity stems from the Jets looking like they were the one that played a game last night, and not the inverse. Not once did the Jets look like they were in control of the game. That is where my concern is. Getting the two points is good, but it needs to be done in a sustainable manner. The Jets aren't going to win too many games playing like that. They desperately need bodies back. Having half of your forward roster being an AHL team is a recipe for disaster.

Its not like that is the recipe Jets chose. Other than Helle, they looked terrible last night, but they worked hard enough to get the 2 goals that were enough for the win.

Yes they need to get bodies back. Water is wet.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I know that the checking and defensive play isn’t as good in the World Juniors, but I couldn’t help but thinking last night during the Jets game that the passing, team play and speed seems so much better in the World Juniors than what we saw last night.
Certainly more exciting hockey and so much less choppy.
But, glad to get out of Edmonton with two points after that ugly game.

:laugh: I had a similar thought. But it is also the difference between regular season and PO hockey. The Jrs are playing for the World Championship. The adrenalin level is through the roof.

Reactions: Mud Turtle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad