Post-Game Talk: Jets 2 Coliers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The negativity stems from the Jets looking like they were the one that played a game last night, and not the inverse. Not once did the Jets look like they were in control of the game. That is where my concern is. Getting the two points is good, but it needs to be done in a sustainable manner. The Jets aren't going to win too many games playing like that. They desperately need bodies back. Having half of your forward roster being an AHL team is a recipe for disaster.
The second half of your comment is directly related to your concern about how we got the points.
Given our roster issues I don't care how bad we look if we can get some points.
Once we have some of the boys back, then I'll worry about the "how" more.
For now, steal points any way you can!!!

Last edited:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The "hot topic" in our last post game thread was the play of young Mr Samberg.
A few people have given him a shout out here, and a few people saw this as a continuation of poor play.
Now I will admit as it was New Years and I had company over watching the game and I was not watching as intently as I normally do (but not much different).

For me I didn't spot the glaring (make you swear at the TV) gaffes from him last night.
BUT... I did notice several key plays and blocks throughout the game.
I gave him several atta boy props for defensive plays that made a big difference to keeping the Oilers stymied.

Now maybe I missed the bad plays but I'll say that I thought he was a lot better last night then the previous two games (which admittedly is a pretty low bar). But I'll take it.

I think the boys (especially Hellebuyck) deserve huge props.
They had every reason to fold their tents and let that game get away from them.
But they battled hard, That effort along with some timely scoring and an amazing goalie performance meant a continuation of the Oilers New Years Eve curse.

Winning is so sweet.
2023 sucks much less so far...

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree about us being a AHL team but that's because of injuries only. There isn't much you can do but hope our starters come back soon. In the meantime we have Helly that can win us some games.

The only alternative would have been to make a trade. I would not have wanted any panic trade. In hindsight, a trade for a top 6 F when we found out Ehlers' injury was going to be long would have looked good. But that was before we knew we were going to lose 4 other F before he got back. Maybe Wheeler going down would have been the time but the fact is that we coped pretty well until we lost Perfetti. That seemed to be the straw that broke the camel's back. Now we are in the position of having to play much of an AHL lineup for another couple of weeks until the injured start returning.

We have only 3 games in the next 9 days. Maybe we get some bodies back by then. Starting the 10th the schedule gets pretty heavy with 8 games in 13 days, all on the road. We will need help in that stretch. :crossfing

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I've posed that question before.... if you were given the choice between McDavid and Hellebuyck who would you build a team around?

Interesting question. Not the slam dunk you might assume, if you think about it.

Goal is the most important, or most potentially influential position. Both joined the NHL in 2016. Helle makes 6,166,666, McD makes 12.5. Each is in the 5th year at that level. Helle has 1 year after this one. McD has 3. Helle's next contract is probably at about 10.5. So a lot cheaper and less cap hit. A lot easier to build around.

OTOH, Oil's failure to build around McD has not been because he gets too much of their cap. With Drai and RNH they have had at least adequate F support. The failing has been on D and in goal. Especially in goal.

They keep trying to fill that hole on the cheap. They get some guy near the end of his career and hope they can squeeze another year or two out of him, or they get a decent backup and hope he can become a starter, etc. Maybe they finally drafted an NHL goalie in Skinner. The jury is still out but so far, so good. But then they are still stuck with Campbell for 4 more years.

We might look back in a few years and conclude that Jets failed to build around Helle successfully.

In the end, I think you have to go with McD and do a better job than Edm has done of building around him.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Have to go with McDavid. He is simply the best player in the world. You build around him.

But you have to do it smart (not like the Oilers).
When the best player in the World demands to be paid the highest ... you have to pay him.
I would rather have two top 10 players at their position instead of the #1 player in the league for the same price. (give or take $1M)

Reactions: AussieBomberJet

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree with Gagner. I think it's great that he got 1000 games as a Jet but he's become a very limited player on a team that wants to use their size and speed. My guess at a January 15th lineup is something like

Connor-Dubois-Ehlers
Perfetti-Scheifele-Kuhlman (who probably doesn't belong there)
Barron-Lowry-Maenalanen
Flowby-Gustafsson-Stenlund
Gagner in the PB, Harkins maybe stays there too until someone else comes back. Wheeler or Stanley.

Gagner's scoring has been a pleasant surprise but he really hasn't played well all year. He is the 1st one I would take out.

Flowbee has great speed and work ethic, but not much else. He is good for beating icing calls. That's about it. Definitely have Harkins in ahead of him.

Stenlund has earned more opportunity. Gus is going to have to up his game or Stenlund might be the one to win the 4C job.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Interesting question. Not the slam dunk you might assume, if you think about it.

Goal is the most important, or most potentially influential position. Both joined the NHL in 2016. Helle makes 6,166,666, McD makes 12.5. Each is in the 5th year at that level. Helle has 1 year after this one. McD has 3. Helle's next contract is probably at about 10.5. So a lot cheaper and less cap hit. A lot easier to build around.

OTOH, Oil's failure to build around McD has not been because he gets too much of their cap. With Drai and RNH they have had at least adequate F support. The failing has been on D and in goal. Especially in goal.

They keep trying to fill that hole on the cheap. They get some guy near the end of his career and hope they can squeeze another year or two out of him, or they get a decent backup and hope he can become a starter, etc. Maybe they finally drafted an NHL goalie in Skinner. The jury is still out but so far, so good. But then they are still stuck with Campbell for 4 more years.

We might look back in a few years and conclude that Jets failed to build around Helle successfully.

In the end, I think you have to go with McD and do a better job than Edm has done of building around him.
I wasn't even taking contracts into consideration. If you do, then the question is:

Would you rather build your team around McDavid and a cheap goalie or Hellebuyck and Schiefele?

I love how people say "oh, the Jets only won because of their goalie" . Well, last I checked, goalie is a position and if you have the best one around at ANY position it increases your chances of winning. The same people don't say "well, the Oilers only won because of mcdavid". It's like having a great goalie is dirty or something.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Gagner's scoring has been a pleasant surprise but he really hasn't played well all year. He is the 1st one I would take out.

Flowbee has great speed and work ethic, but not much else. He is good for beating icing calls. That's about it. Definitely have Harkins in ahead of him.

Stenlund has earned more opportunity. Gus is going to have to up his game or Stenlund might be the one to win the 4C job.
I think the Jets would eventually like to get some load management with a player like Gagner. I think he can be effective offensively at times, but the legs aren't there anymore, and he is probably the weakest defensive player on a team trying to be a strong defensive team.

That's again where I see Axelsson-Fjallby as being more effective than Harkins.

I liked that Swedish meatball line against Vancouver, they scored on their 1st shift. Next game Gustafsson really struggled on the wing, but I think that's the thing, he's a centre the way he plays. He covers the middle of the ice well, and supports his defenseman in the zone. Stenlund for me is a step too slow to be an effective centre long term, but he's been a bonus on the draws, and on the PK and that would keep him in the lineup for me. I think you could play him as a winger, who took draws on his strong side, and once that line got the puck out of the zone, it's just F1 ,2 and 3 and I think they can all play on the same wavelength, each adding something to their line, so that's how I would see it. I'm sure there's other way to see it.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Make us proud

Imagine either team without players named Connor.

Didn't you say you had to go the last time?.....lol

Mission accomplished! :thumbu:

giphy.gif

secret-hand-shake-love.gif

1mYs.gif

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I dunno man with what McD gets paid I'd kinda lean towards Helly. Can probably put together a more balanced team that way.

It depends on if you think the trend of goalies getting worse will continue.

It used to be pretty easy to find good goaltending, and the difference between good goaltending and great goaltending was pretty small.

That could be changing.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Had to take a glance at their PGT with all the chatter about it.

Yikes. Leafs fans and Oilers fans together forever in narcissism.

You'd think someone ended McDavid's career.
Yup they were downright salty, that being said I learned a long time ago never to comment in the other teams PGT, even the I come in peace triggers a few of them who in all probability are not very nice people outside of the forums.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I dunno man with what McD gets paid I'd kinda lean towards Helly. Can probably put together a more balanced team that way.
Sixteen to twenty for McJesus is still better value than ten for Helle. Chevy is going to be shocked at Helle's ask. I don't think Chevy will pay it.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Yup they were downright salty, that being said I learned a long time ago never to comment in the other teams PGT, even the I come in peace triggers a few of them who in all probability are not very nice people outside of the forums.

Lol yup. Even when Laine scored that comeback hatty against the Leafs, while it was a nice read, I'd never comment there. Maybe in a trade thread or something on a team board if they were wondering about a player or prospect.

It's incredible how vitriolic it got though, not even with Winnipeg but even their own players. I'd like to apologize to the guys I shit on in the Heinola thread for rooting against him, I've seen the light with the way some of them treat Puljujarvi :laugh:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Skimmed through the Oilers post game thread.

- Jets fan should not be chirping in there. I know it’s tempting as they were drunk raging about the loss and throwing poop around their cage. But it’s a bad look and does nothing.

- my favourite was their poster who was going on about population size and claimed that EDM had double the population of Winnipeg??? The internet thinks otherwise. That’s some fancy mathing skills he has.

- my second favourite is the narrative that our current roster is what we’ve been playing with all year and that we are just a clutch and grab team carried by our goalie and (get this) biased officiating. We all know how the league is in on the “help the Jets” conspiracy.

If we can pull off another banana in the tailpipe on the Flames I will be one very happy camper.

giphy.gif

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
In hindsight, a trade for a top 6 F when we found out Ehlers' injury was going to be long would have looked good.

Some of us were calling for a trade as soon as we saw that they were trying to rotate Appleton, Gagner, Menalainen etc. into that top line role. They were already thin on right wing before Ehlers was injured. The Jets had a surplus of D, and were thin on forwards. It was a good time to do it to help insulate the team and push depth down. Now look where they're at because Cheveldayoff decided to ride it out and trust fate.

Reactions: sipowicz

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Skimmed through the Oilers post game thread.

- Jets fan should not be chirping in there. I know it’s tempting as they were drunk raging about the loss and throwing poop around their cage. But it’s a bad look and does nothing.

- my favourite was their poster who was going on about population size and claimed that EDM had double the population of Winnipeg??? The internet thinks otherwise. That’s some fancy mathing skills he has.

- my second favourite is the narrative that our current roster is what we’ve been playing with all year and that we are just a clutch and grab team carried by our goalie and (get this) biased officiating. We all know how the league is in on the “help the Jets” conspiracy.

If we can pull off another banana in the tailpipe on the Flames I will be one very happy camper.

giphy.gif
Let them think that was our Jets it's going to be a big surprise for some of them when we have all our starters back.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't know about other posters, but of all the "backfill players" the Jets are using right now, I'm most impressed by Kuhlman ( #20 ) He made a beautiful play last night, and cut across the Oiler net, and Campbell made a great toe save, just barely caught that puck. Kuhlman is fast, and a good stickhandler, and not a bad playmaker, and I think he'll be our new Tanev. If only he could get his hands working and score more, he'd be a real winner.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I can see the "big cost" the Jets have incurred by trading their previous years 1st round picks, for "rentals" like Kevin Hayes, and Stastny. You can clearly see the lack of depth this causes when you have to acquire wire waiver players like Gagner, and many others. Our 3rd and 4 th lines do not have much depth right now, although the Swedish meatball line is not bad, but not great either, other than a pure checking line. I think your better off to wait, and keep your first round picks, and build depth for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad