Player Discussion Jesse Ylonen #56

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
The professionals don't seem to trust him, what are we fans not seeing?
He could end up in Europe next year and never come back. Still I can't see a good reason that he doesn't get a real extended look in the top 6.

If they have some kind of plan for him then fine, I guess. But if they're just not giving him a chance and never plan on it, then that's just really flipping weird.

Reactions: rik schau and Tyson

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The professionals don't seem to trust him, what are we fans not seeing?
This.

It's so odd... He's the one young guy who just doesn't seem to be getting a fair shot at earning bigger role/minutes.

Has MSL been asked about it by the media?

Well, if Pearson is out for any significant time, we should eventually see Ylonen in the top 9. I mean knowing MSL, Armia will also get opportunities. But knowing Armia, he won't be able to hold down a spot. So Ylonen should definitely get a shot.

Ylonen is playing more assertive and confident much sooner than he thought. I think he both realizes he needs to play that way to be at his best, and he's starting to realize that with his new buff frame he can create space for himself.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Ylonen is a solid player with flashes of brillance. Definitely very good at shootouts. However he was never a big time scorer, so I don't think we can expect him to become a top 6 in short order. I could see him growing into that role, but taking the slow path where he slowly gets more opportunities seem right for him. I don't think he would succeed today if given first line duties.

In the AHL, he was very good, but played a very light game. I am pleased to see a little bit more physical involvement now that he is in the NHL. He is way more physically ready than he was even last year.

That said, I would like to see him on a 3rd line with special units duties, bumping his icetime a good 2 to 4 minutes per game.

Reactions: Rapala and Tyson

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Ylonen is a solid player with flashes of brillance. Definitely very good at shootouts. However he was never a big time scorer, so I don't think we can expect him to become a top 6 in short order. I could see him growing into that role, but taking the slow path where he slowly gets more opportunities seem right for him. I don't think he would succeed today if given first line duties.

In the AHL, he was very good, but played a very light game. I am pleased to see a little bit more physical involvement now that he is in the NHL. He is way more physically ready than he was even last year.

That said, I would like to see him on a 3rd line with special units duties, bumping his icetime a good 2 to 4 minutes per game.

He's more physical this year mainly because he got jacked over the summer. His physique is totally different than last year.

I think this new physique adds a dimension to his game such that whatever his game was before in North America, it could be totally different now. I could see him being either a 2nd or a 3rd line player. We'll see.

I like this young core moving forward, as a based to build on and augment:

Newhook - Dach - Slaf
Caufield - Suzuki - Roy
RHP - Monahan - Ylonen
Gallagher/Anderson - Evans - Heineman

Reactions: Sam de Mtl

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
If good things keep happening when he is on the ice leadership will have to reward him. If not I am sure other teams will take notice. To me he is a playoff style player, north, south drive the net and defensively aware.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If good things keep happening when he is on the ice leadership will have to reward him. If not I am sure other teams will take notice. To me he is a playoff style player, north, south drive the net and defensively aware.
The way he played the half wall on that 1st PP last night was pretty impressive. Not sure why he can't seem to earn enough trust than that of a 4th liner.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Ylonen played 10 minutes last night. But I'm glad MSL allowed him on the shootout, maybe he gets bumped up to 12 or 13 minutes with Pearson's injury.
The kid deserves to move up the lineup..............Gally and Anderson can easily move down.......but yes, the Pearson injury allows the kid more TOI
If we are developing kids, this year, why so much time put in to vets who have sucked?
Has this been asked to The Philosopher yet? Again a fan of our coach, but...............

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The kid deserves to move up the lineup..............Gally and Anderson can easily move down.......but yes, the Pearson injury allows the kid more TOI
If we are developing kids, this year, why so much time put in to vets who have sucked?
Has this been asked to The Philosopher yet? Again a fan of our coach, but...............
Watch Armia be the one that is moved up...par for the course when it comes to Ylonen sadly

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Watch Armia be the one that is moved up...par for the course when it comes to Ylonen sadly
Let's hope not, but sadly, this is more than likely....................
Trying to shine a turd, still leaves us with a shiny turd eh............

Let's hope Ylonen gets some due here, soon..........

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

It's the light game the brass haven't liked and I've commented on it more than once over the last couple of seasons.
Blame Lehkonen because I'm sure they think he should be a step above Lehky in all facets of the game.
He certainly has everything but Lekonen's heart. The wheels to get there but not enough meaningful engagement when he does.
He has been better this season though.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
The way he played the half wall on that 1st PP last night was pretty impressive. Not sure why he can't seem to earn enough trust than that of a 4th liner.
He handles the puck so well and is quick to make a pass,yet he's not utilized more on the PP and has a terrific shot and good in tight,baffling!

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
It's the light game the brass haven't liked and I've commented on it more than once over the last couple of seasons.
Blame Lehkonen because I'm sure they think he should be a step above Lehky in all facets of the game.
He certainly has everything but Lekonen's heart. The wheels to get there but not enough meaningful engagement when he does.
He has been better this season though.
A lot of players could get more implicated physically but those players typically have those traits to begin with.Too often they want players to change what they are. Montreal has CC and Suzuki and they are not going to get involved in the physical or nasty part of hockey. Would be great if Suzuki had more nasty in him, like Plekanec did. Ylonen has skills, and they should be utilized,not squandered playing with Pezzetta and Evans,imo

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Ylonen szn has opened. Proceed with more ice time Marty.

Faakin' Awesome.
Finland is definitely on my bucket list. I'm mean who wouldn't want to go to the home of Lauri RAPALA?

1702229865934.jpeg

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
A lot of players could get more implicated physically but those players typically have those traits to begin with.Too often they want players to change what they are. Montreal has CC and Suzuki and they are not going to get involved in the physical or nasty part of hockey. Would be great if Suzuki had more nasty in him, like Plekanec did. Ylonen has skills, and they should be utilized,not squandered playing with Pezzetta and Evans,imo
I've got to disagree regarding Suzuki. I've seen him get nasty when the games mean something. I'm not sure Pleks is a good example. I've never heard anyone say Suzuki played like a "Little Girl" in the post season. The fact that Ylonen has some skills may not be enough to keep him in a top six role.
I hope he gets a shot with Monahan and Evans goes back to center at one point.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I've got to disagree regarding Suzuki. I've seen him get nasty when the games mean something. I'm not sure Pleks is a good example. I've never heard anyone say Suzuki played like a "Little Girl" in the post season. The fact that Ylonen has some skills may not be enough to keep him in a top six role.
I hope he gets a shot with Monahan and Evans goes back to center at one point.
I'm not talking Gallagher-ish,just more snot. But this is todays NHL and it's pretty soft and tame. Find a lot of players don't stand up for themselves much and not a lot of animosity and lack of fire. Seen some games and remember playing old-timers hockey and it was more intense and fierce.lol

Reactions: Rapala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad