Player Discussion Jesse Ylonen #56

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
He's been fairly productive in the NHL, despite his ice time and linemates. He's been putting up decent 3rd line numbers even if you're stats watching. He's got great speed, quickness (fast twitch muscles), decent to good hands, and a good shot. I just don't get why he can't have more opportunities.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not sure why he's not a lock for the lineup at this point, if you take away cliches and draft pedigree he's a lot more useful than a lot of our other forwards.

He has the offensive upside. And I think we're going to see him add a physical dimension to his game. He can definitely protect the puck better on the wall than all our smaller players.

Reactions: jrom and rik schau

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
He can pass,he can shoot,he can skate,he can read the play,just don't play him on the PP or with better line-mates.smh

Reactions: Habit11

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He can pass,he can shoot,he can skate,he can read the play,just don't play him on the PP or with better line-mates.smh

I think he's going to add a physical dimension to his game, with his new physique.

Even if he never throws a lot of hits, his big frame will allow him to protect the puck on the wall and win board battles.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I think he's going to add a physical dimension to his game, with his new physique.

Even if he never throws a lot of hits, his big frame will allow him to protect the puck on the wall and win board battles.
He is more of a skilled finesse player but being able to use physicality as well is always welcome.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He is more of a skilled finesse player but being able to use physicality as well is always welcome.
I don't like Pearson taking up a spot ahead of him in the depth chart. But I understood the trade...

I think Ylonen will adapt his game over the years. If he can't be more than a 20 goal scorer, I think he'll add a little grind to his game. We'll see...

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I don't like Pearson taking up a spot ahead of him in the depth chart. But I understood the trade...

I think Ylonen will adapt his game over the years. If he can't be more than a 20 goal scorer, I think he'll add a little grind to his game. We'll see...
There is a lot I don't like,don't get me started.lol

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Seems so much more useful than #17
Anderson is expendable, but he's unmovable now. Anderson needs to be put in a position to succeed so we can move him. So it's more Pearson I don't like in front of Ylonen. If we put Pearson on the 4th line and miss out on that 5th rounder we could have gotten for him at the TDL, I'll be ok with that.

Reactions: Naslundforever

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I think it would've been more than fair for Ylonen to move into the top6 given his performance, but I think they're being especially slow to move him because they really want to see consistent production and they're hoping he can produce where he is and Anderson will do....anything on the scoresheet. He's very noticeable though so I think it will happen eventually. At the very least he needs to start being on the PP because he has hands and a one-timer.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think it would've been more than fair for Ylonen to move into the top6 given his performance, but I think they're being especially slow to move him because they really want to see consistent production and they're hoping he can produce where he is and Anderson will do....anything on the scoresheet. He's very noticeable though so I think it will happen eventually. At the very least he needs to start being on the PP because he has hands and a one-timer.
Maybe we cab start with:

Newhook - Suzuki - Gallagher
Caufield - Dvo - Slaf
Anderson - Monahan - Ylonen
Pez - Evans - Pearson

pp2:

Gallagher
Newhook Ylonen Slaf
Barron

I don't think Ylonen is ready to play the bumper. But maybe he learn on the job. But both PP units have doing well recently, so not sure we need to rock the boat.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Ylonen is jacked now. He's going to be a beast of a player once he gets comfortable with the North American game style at the NHL level.
His skill set is so under rated. Great vision, elite skating and shot. I am amazed he is still looked at as nothing more than a 4th liner.

Reactions: morhilane

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
His skill set is so under rated. Great vision, elite skating and shot. I am amazed he is still looked at as nothing more than a 4th liner.
Some wanted him put on waivers after training camp, thinking he was useless.

I just always saw him as the type that is cautious in a new situation (exact opposite of Struble!) And so it would take him some time to get out of his shell. I don't know how many points he has in him, but he's got that versatile skill set. So look out when he comes out of his shell. He could be the hockey version of the incredible hulk... I look forward to seeing it. For now I'd just like to see him get a regular shift on a line with Suzuki or a healthy Monahan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyson

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Ylonen is jacked now. He's going to be a beast of a player once he gets comfortable with the North American game style at the NHL level.
I think he's very comfortable, he just needs to learn to cycle and manufacture scoring opps inside the dots, like the rest of the team.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think he's very comfortable, he just needs to learn to cycle and manufacture scoring opps inside the dots, like the rest of the team.

I think he's more comfortable than last year. But I don't think he's fully figured out what he's capable of. He'll have to test some boundaries, which I expect him to do.

Last edited:

jrom

Mar 28, 2022

I think it shows he played 100+ AHL games, along the board he's competent for his size, doesn't put himself in vulnerable positions. He has a better shot then most of PP2 also...

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Some wanted him put on waivers after training camp, thinking he was useless.

I just always saw him as the type that is cautious in a new situation (exact opposite of Struble!) And so it would take him some time to get out of his shell. I don't know how many points he has in him, but he's got that versatile skill set. So look out when he comes out of his shell. He could be the hockey version of the incredible hulk... I look forward to seeing it. For now I'd just like to see him get a regular shift on a line with Suzuki or a healthy Monahan.
Well there's no putting him on waiver now cause he's going to be claimed 100%. Good 3rd line player at 750k a winning team will claim that fast. Avs would jump on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad