Player Discussion Jesse Ylonen #56

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
No no it makes perfect sense to develop Gallagher Pearson Anderson rather than him...
I will say, Anderson needs to be put in a position to succeed so we can move him. It will be hard on us in the future if we have 11.5M tied up in Anderson and Gallagher and they're both useless. Gotta get Andy going and shipped out...

As for Gallagher, we're stuck with him and he's earned a top 9 role with his play...

Pearson I'm hoping is on the cusp of being passed by Ylonen. We're only 20 game sin and Ylonen is starting to make his move and earn MSL's trust. Let's hope Pearson is on the 4th line soon and Ylonen is in the top 9.

Last year it irritated me when Dadonov, Hoffman, Drouin and Armia got ice time over RHP, Ylonen, and Slaf. This year, they got rid of Hoffman, Dadonov, and Drouin, and put Armia on waivers. And RHP and Slaf have been getting good opportunities. Only Pearson stands in the way now, and only Ylonen hasn't gotten good enough opportunities. Overall I'm much happier than last year. I just want to see:

-Ylonen swap places with Pearson
-RHP play with Anderson
-Monahan swap places with Dvo

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I will say, Anderson needs to be put in a position to succeed so we can move him. It will be hard on us in the future if we have 11.5M tied up in Anderson and Gallagher and they're both useless. Gotta get Andy going and shipped out...

As for Gallagher, we're stuck with him and he's earned a top 9 role with his play...

Pearson I'm hoping is on the cusp of being passed by Ylonen. We're only 20 game sin and Ylonen is starting to make his move and earn MSL's trust. Let's hope Pearson is on the 4th line soon and Ylonen is in the top 9.

Last year it irritated me when Dadonov, Hoffman, Drouin and Armia got ice time over RHP, Ylonen, and Slaf. This year, they got rid of Hoffman, Dadonov, and Drouin, and put Armia on waivers. And RHP and Slaf have been getting good opportunities. Only Pearson stands in the way now, and only Ylonen hasn't gotten good enough opportunities. Overall I'm much happier than last year. I just want to see:

-Ylonen swap places with Pearson
-RHP play with Anderson
-Monahan swap places with Dvo
I would actually play Ylonen with Suzuki given the fact he does not have CC anymore. i also think Ylonen 1 timer would help the Pp and he is one of the forwards who can likely complemnt newhook diring the transition game,

Reactions: Redux91 and 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I would actually play Ylonen with Suzuki given the fact he does not have CC anymore. i also think Ylonen 1 timer would help the Pp and he is one of the forwards who can likely complemnt newhook diring the transition game,

Yes I'm ready to see Newhook-Suzuki-Ylonen or Anderson-Monahan-Ylonen.

But I'm liking the grind Gallagjer brings to Suzuki and Newhook. But I actually think Ylonen is going to start adding some grind to his game. He's jacked now and I think he's going to start figuring out how to use his big frame.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrei79

Don D

Oct 15, 2017
I have a feeling Ylonen will get traded and start to shine elsewhere.

7 mins per game. What a joke.
Ylonen will not get traded unless Habs get a very good return. Do not want to speculate, however I do agree he should be given more playing time. We do not know what is happening behind the scenes and do not have a window into the clubhouse. I do not believe MSL would limit his presences because of bias, favoritism or to ruin the young man. Would be nice to have inside info!

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I think it shows he played 100+ AHL games, along the board he's competent for his size, doesn't put himself in vulnerable positions. He has a better shot then most of PP2 also...
Right! so it makes perfect sense to utilize him this way,staple his damn ass to the bench.lol

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
If his name was Jessie Ilonette we'd have a media outcry for the way he's being neglected. But alas, I understand the need to play Anderson and get him out of his funk, if he catches fire he's worth something decent at a TDL on a contending team.

Pearson has been playing above expected and is doing fine, but who are we kidding he's gone next year so move Ylonen with Moneyhands and play Pearson with Evans on the PK etc...

Or better yet move Money to the 2nd line, why the f*** is Dvo playing 2nd line center over him is beyond me.... Anderson Dvorak Ylonen is a decent 3rd line. CC Money Slaf is cuter. Gally on the 1st line is jokes, could try ylonen there too, he played with Suzuki last year too when half the club was injured....

the point is, any of those options are better than how we're currently using him...

Reactions: BLONG7

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He will get his chances. He still has a lot of work to do on his D and play away from the puck.
As long as we plan to give him a fair shot and there isn’t some behind the scenes nonsense. Him getting the SO opportunity in and of itself is a decent-ish sign.

Can’t throw away this guy without a real shot. It would be beyond stupid. And I’ve given him a hard time over the years.

Reactions: WinterLion

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Ylonen will not get traded unless Habs get a very good return. Do not want to speculate, however I do agree he should be given more playing time. We do not know what is happening behind the scenes and do not have a window into the clubhouse. I do not believe MSL would limit his presences because of bias, favoritism or to ruin the young man. Would be nice to have inside info!

Yeah, if he continues to play well, he's going force Montreal's hand and cause some other move to be made that opens up more slots for Ylonen. Its is if he shows nothing that would make him a more likely trade candidate.

Reactions: Don D

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah, if he continues to play well, he's going force Montreal's hand and cause some other move to be made that opens up more slots for Ylonen. Its is if he shows nothing that would make him a more likely trade candidate.
I'd really like Anderson to produce so we can move him. If we can't move Anderson, we'll have 8 wingers for 6 top 9 spots next year, plus Heineman.

Caufield - Slaf
Newhook - Roy
RHP - Anderson
Gallagher - Ylonen
Pez, Heineman

Don D

Oct 15, 2017
I'd really like Anderson to produce so we can move him. If we can't move Anderson, we'll have 8 wingers for 6 top 9 spots next year, plus Heineman.

Caufield - Slaf
Newhook - Roy
RHP - Anderson
Gallagher - Ylonen
Pez, Heineman
Sadly, Heineman seems injury prone and may never fulfill his potential. Like Pez' energy, but he may be expendable. Roy may need another year with Laval, but will eventually need a spot.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Sadly, Heineman seems injury prone and may never fulfill his potential. Like Pez' energy, but he may be expendable. Roy may need another year with Laval, but will eventually need a spot.
If Roy needs another year in Laval, I would love to see Dvo on the wing. I think he could produce playing with offensive players.

Though if Ylonen continues to emerge, may just have to let Dvo go for very little return.

I will say though, if Dach, Monahan, and Suzuki are back and healthy, I think we're a playoff team. They are the backbone of this team and there are a lot of good options at wing that could do well with them inbthe top 9.

Reactions: Don D

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I feel like.. we're over-developping him now lol
Paid his dues in Finland, paid his dues in Laval ffs, has a good handful of NHL game experience and is already 24..

Is he being over-developped or are we maybe over-rating him?

I like him and he is a nice bottom six players but i am not sure if he has
consistent top six skills.

He is a pretty good skater, has soft mitts and had some solid flashes. But i also think he lacks strenght and that makes him kinda vanilla.

I like what he brings in the bottom six but not sure we should expect more. We will see. He is certainly not worst than Gallagher and Pearson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad