Player Discussion Jesse Ylonen #56

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
A lot of players could get more implicated physically but those players typically have those traits to begin with.Too often they want players to change what they are. Montreal has CC and Suzuki and they are not going to get involved in the physical or nasty part of hockey. Would be great if Suzuki had more nasty in him, like Plekanec did. Ylonen has skills, and they should be utilized,not squandered playing with Pezzetta and Evans,imo
I think Suzuki gets involved physically just fine. Similar to Pleky if that is who you want to compare to.

Management will usually try to change the games of players who are not good enough to make an impact without changing. Sometimes it doesn't work, but they don't really care because without changes, it wouldn't have worked in any meaningful way anyway.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I think Suzuki gets involved physically just fine. Similar to Pleky if that is who you want to compare to.

Management will usually try to change the games of players who are not good enough to make an impact without changing. Sometimes it doesn't work, but they don't really care because without changes, it wouldn't have worked in any meaningful way anyway.
I don't but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I like a player like Brad Marchand.takes no shit and gives shots.
A reason why I liked Paul Byron,he gave as good as he got.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I don't but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I like a player like Brad Marchand.takes no shit and gives shots.
A reason why I liked Paul Byron,he gave as good as he got.
Hard to say ratboy "takes no shit" when he hides and never answers for his intent to injure plays. He's a coward. Byron actually had some courage.

Reactions: CHwest

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
The narrative that Ylonen is not involved physically is *ss.

The guy will take punishment to make a play happen and he never shy away from physical battles on the board. He doesn’t need to hit constantly.

He keeps showing good things with limited ice time and clearly has the hands and speed to play with better players. He’s also one of the few forwards who tries cutting to the middle of the ice.

I think he’s the forward with the most blocked shots/60 which shows commitment to winning.

He will never be Lekhonen who just has better IQ, understanding of where he needs to be on the ice and hustle but he doesn’t need to be.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
The narrative that Ylonen is not involved physically is *ss.

The guy will take punishment to make a play happen and he never shy away from physical battles on the board. He doesn’t need to hit constantly.

He keeps showing good things with limited ice time and clearly has the hands and speed to play with better players. He’s also one of the few forwards who tries cutting to the middle of the ice.

I think he’s the forward with the most blocked shots/60 which shows commitment to winning.

He will never be Lekhonen who just has better IQ, understanding of where he needs to be on the ice and hustle but he doesn’t need to be.
The goalposts are always ridiculous. Ylonen hasn't played soft at all IMO. He's increased his strength and is playing in traffic

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The goalposts are always ridiculous. Ylonen hasn't played soft at all IMO. He's increased his strength and is playing in traffic
This season. No way in hell can you say that about past seasons. I just think the Brass believe he should be better than he is i e mistake free hockey.
He will get an extended look and probably top six minutes as the season winds down. We still have to shed some slag.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Well, the mystery may be solved. We should ask MSL what Ylonen's dad did to him, in order to get his son punished... :sarcasm:
Is Marty a soap picker-upper?:dunno:

images.jpg

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Ylonen strikes me as a player that will do whatever is asked. I think he'll be rewarded in time.
Hope so. His lack of ice time opportunity is very odd... Seems like there must be some issues the coach have with his game away from the ice BC his play in his limited minutes seems to warrant more

Reactions: Toene

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Suzuki doesn't go around trying to take out people's knees. I also don't recall him spearing anyone....

Such a false equivalence lol
Lmfao, thanks, I needed that. I always get a kick out of people that have never played a high level of competitive hockey and become judge, jury and executioner.

Guess you wouldn't be a fan of these players either then: Gordie Howe, Bobby Clarke, Chris Nilan, Guy Carbonneau, Plekanec, Carey price, Pk Subban, and so many more.

You must have missed Suzuki spearing because he has, wasn't penalized but that's the point to get away with shit.

Don't know when the use of these expressions became so popular (straw man and false equivalence ) but they have to be up there as the lamest ones heard today. lol

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Lmfao, thanks, I needed that. I always get a kick out of people that have never played a high level of competitive hockey and become judge, jury and executioner.

Guess you wouldn't be a fan of these players either then: Gordie Howe, Bobby Clarke, Chris Nilan, Guy Carbonneau, Plekanec, Carey price, Pk Subban, and so many more.

You must have missed Suzuki spearing because he has, wasn't penalized but that's the point to get away with shit.

Don't know when the use of these expressions became so popular (straw man and false equivalence ) but they have to be up there as the lamest ones heard today. lol
lmao what a horrible post. see ya

Reactions: Paddyjack and Natey

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think it is becoming apparent that Jesse Ylonen is not a player MSL likes and I doubt he gets a serious look moving forward. He will more than likely end up in Finland next season.
For some reason they don't see what we see. They are the "experts".

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I think it is becoming apparent that Jesse Ylonen is not a player MSL likes and I doubt he gets a serious look moving forward. He will more than likely end up in Finland next season.
We don't know what is happening outside of the ice. What his is development plan, is he following it or ignoring the coaches instructions, etc.

Reactions: Don D

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think he gets a shot elsewhere in the NHL before he goes to Finland, or the KHL.

Reactions: jrom and Tyson

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
On the positive side, he's worked his way up from healthy scratch to 4th liner.

It's the next move up that I really hope for - from the 4th line to the top 9. Poehling never made it there under MSL. Slaf and RHP have. We'll see about Ylonen...

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
MSL said “we don’t know what Ylonen’s window is yet…. I’m guessing it’s a 16-18TOI offensive player, but he’s got a long way to go before he gets there” - starts at 9:10 mark TSN690 link below

Reactions: Tyson

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Ylonen is a mystery for me. I don't know what he is good at. He doesn't seem to be an intense checking player, he does not stick handle much except in shootouts, I don't see him do great passes to teammates, he does not have many defensive responsabilities..... It may be why he doesn't play that much, MSL does not know where he would excel yet.

Reactions: Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad