Player Discussion Jesse Ylonen #56

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
i think Ylonen has a lot of untapped potential but he's gonna need to play in the NHL, his biggest weakness now is consistency, if he can find a spot in the bottom 6 while being defensively responsible and chip in here and there he can also start to get a feel for the pace of the game and how much he needs to push himself etc.

that'll help a lot in his off season work, he needs to understand how playing in the NHL feels like and work on his conditioning in the off season (many young players have this problem, so does Slaf but he realized that quickly last year)
The problem is he is not a 4th liner and probably needs to be moved. I like him but MSL doesn't seem to think too highly of him.

Reactions: Goalfield22

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
I wrote in my post on the first page that he better, for his sake, score early and often (if he wanted opportunities). Well, he scored on the first game than dissapeared, never came back.

We can say he deserves a shot at more ice time or shouldn't play on the fourth line due to his skillset and the amount of declining or just plain bad forward we have but should the coaches trust Ylonen against the best the league has to offer if he doesn't do much of anything on the fourth line?

I look at our depth chart at the forward position and it is amongst the worst in the nhl right now. If he is not re-signed and goes to almost any other team how is he gonna make it with no history in their organization and stronger depth chart? He's 24 years old already and if we don't re-sign him with the current trend he is playing, he will find himself stuck as an injury replacement level player pretty fast.

Sure he had some good showings alongside Dach last year and was pretty bad with suzuki when called upon. His numbers were decent overall and one had to hope he could build for this year. I just think, excuses aside, that maybe, just maybe he isn't just that good?

There is some misconception that Ylonen was that stud top-line forward at the AHL level. I just want to remind everyone that Ylonen never dominated the AHL 5-on-5 and more than 50% of his goals were on the powerplay during his AHL career. You remove the powerplay, put him at a superior level and no wonder he struggles.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Last year 16pts in 37gp, this year 7pts in 39gp

our boy is regressing on the 4th line

He might get more of a shot if and when some deals get made. It really remains to be seen what he’ll do with more ice time. I’ve watched him since he started with Laval and he showed flashes, but was invisible for long periods. That could very well be what he is.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Just send him to Laval at this point. He is useless on the 4th line, at least he can help Laval in their playoff push.

If someone somehow claims him, who cares as he clearly isn't seen as part of the future here.

Reactions: KKWG11

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The more I watch Ylonen, the more I see a reincarnation of Jan Bulis.
I see a lot more offensive upside.

Better shot, better moves on breakaways/shootouts for starters. Better hands in tight. But the biggest difference is much less ice time.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
I see a lot more offensive upside.

Better shot, better moves on breakaways/shootouts for starters. Better hands in tight. But the biggest difference is much less ice time.
I wonder what it is that MSL and co. don't like about him to give him a shot here and there...

Reactions: 26Mats

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
He has shown flashes of his skillset but consistency is a big problem. Obviously time on ice and linemates haven't helped (RHP, him and Evans as a line ould have done wonders for his play) but for a fringe NHLer you'd like to see more fight in him especially with all the guys coming up.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
that would be poor development, if they have no plans for him then he should have been send to Laval but I don't see why they wouldn't re-sign him.

He would have to be waived. I can see him being picked up by a team like Chicago. For now, we need the numbers, but that's exactly what they're treating him as, a 13th forward.

They don't want to lose the depth this year, and have to say play Stephens. We'll see what they do with him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He would have to be waived. I can see him being picked up by a team like Chicago. For now, we need the numbers, but that's exactly what they're treating him as, a 13th forward.

They don't want to lose the depth this year, and have to say play Stephens. We'll see what they do with him.

they could have just filled in his spot with anyone really, if he's the 13th forward then who cares if he gets picked off waivers if they don't plan on re-signing him. But I would bet they re-sign him as I don't see any reason why they wouldn't as I got to think they suck again next year so why not carry him and see what happens.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Thing is it feels like Armia where we know he could be much better if he actually brought the fire every game.

In both case, we know they could be pretty good but being able and actually doing it is quite different.

Armia is playing really well lately and it's just ol Armia but involved. I wish we'll see that maturity step in Ylonen so i'm not giving up on him yet.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
103 games under his belt in the NHL and only 28 pts for Ylonen.
No real signs of improvement since his first shift ever in the league.
I’m calling it, this guy is an AHL lifer.
Time to send him down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad