Tribute Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Goodbye and Good Luck part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What KK does this year matters a lot cause it's not about being overpaid or underpaid with his offer sheet AAV. It's about believing in him after evaluating one season and then what his contract looks like after this year. How much Term/AAV and would the belief be he continues to improve or does he stall?

Better hope he don't get injured. This $6.1M threshold and what he does in this season matters a lot! Need to play him with solid usage and he needs to play 70+ games to get a good evaluation IMO.

If KK puts up 60 pts this year, does his agent use that to his advantage? He should. I'm not buying the handshake deal on a agreed extension. I do believe they talked about various outcomes and that would have been smart for the Canes to do so before offering $6.1M. However, If KK comes out on a hot start, forget about any loyalty come January. It's a business and that applies equally to both teams and players. One thing I know is things change as times moves forward

ROEN

Writes for Habsworld
Feb 18, 2008
www.habsworld.net
You know who he looked like out there, Vinny Lecavalier ... proceed and laugh at me but honestly he really looked like him out there .

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
What KK does this year matters a lot cause it's not about being overpaid or underpaid with his offer sheet AAV. It's about believing in him after evaluating one season and then what his contract looks like after this year. How much Term/AAV and would the belief be he continues to improve or does he stall?

Better hope he don't get injured. This $6.1M threshold and what he does in this season matters a lot! Need to play him with solid usage and he needs to play 70+ games to get a good evaluation IMO.

If KK puts up 60 pts this year, does his agent use that to his advantage? He should. I'm not buying the handshake deal on a agreed extension. I do believe they talked about various outcomes and that would have been smart for the Canes to do so before offering $6.1M. However, If KK comes out on a hot start, forget about any loyalty come January. It's a business and that applies equally to both teams and players. One thing I know is things change as times moves forward

I agree. If KK hits 60pts, no chance in hell he resigns at $4m to $4.5m AAV as rumoured. If KK is sitting at 10-15 points in January, Carolina may rethink that deal also.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Nice fresh fresh start for KK tho I will always look back fondly on those days - albeit brief- that Eric Staal was a Canadien.
Still can’t believe he’s not signed to a lengthy contract
This is an attempt at artful sarcasm or you're his agent.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
KK was, is and will be a very good player. Not sure why it's news for people. But he's playing the wings now. Less responsabilities. More at ease to concentrate on his strenghts. His shot was and is still elite. Need some precisions but that strength is top 10. If he stays on the wings, he might develop into a better player. We just in here decided that at 18 years old while not playing the position the year before, he was ready to take charge of a line. Again, if there is ONE HUGE developmental story on the Habs with his management, it's this one. Unusual 3rd overall, picked for a need, that he wasn't even playing the year of his draft, and put in the NHL at the youngest of age in that position.

Just for that, those clowns should be fired. They are probably about to be extended.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
I think we should wait a bit longer to pin things down like that.
Yeah, nope. When you watch enough hockey you can see some things right away. Teräväinen will be the guy who helps KK to the next level, and in the same process makes MB look like a clown again. Which is glorious.

Reactions: JurequeparJuraj

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah, nope. When you watch enough hockey you can see some things right away. Teräväinen will be the guy who helps KK to the next level, and in the same process makes MB look like a clown again. Which is glorious.

To premature to try to predict the future with fact type narrative. I'm sure KK will put up points playing wing with the Canes but we need more sample size and how he does in other areas of the game. A key turnover or missed coverage can change the narrative quickly. But you watch hockey and probably look at point production where the other stuff don't matter. Bet you Brind'Amour is looking deeper than point production bud. Can Brind'Amour help KK in the 200' game focus? Probably cause he was pretty good at it in his career. Can Brind'Amour help KK with edge work and skating? NO! I believe that will take years for KK to groom his game to be more complete.

It's clear to me... your chomping at the bit to criticize management and create another Sergachev situation. It might happen yes but I believe we have a good center in Dvorak on a value contract for prime years. Not matching has nothing to do with the mistake of rushing him. Two different conversations

Dvorak at $4.45M. Good on faceoffs and very competitive in the trenches. A very complete 200' center in his prime. Probably going to put up 60 pts (+/-).
vs
KK at $6.1M then $4M+. Not good on faceoffs and not very competitive in the trenches. Probably puts up 60 pts if he improves and Canes play him on wing.

Habs made a mistake of rushing him yes. But the right decision was made to not match. It don't mean we didn't have faith in KK.

Last edited:

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
KK got 2 points with TT on his line while playing against litteraly ECHLers.

The whole Tampa team was loaded with unknowns. Let's relax a little.

If he gets 60 points this year good for him. He most assuredly wouldn't have gotten 60 with the Habs on 3rd line duties.

There is also a really strong chance he gets 30 to 40 points this year at which point everybody will be like bah KK is a bust, eat it Carolina.

Just wait and see. Saying that MB made another huge mistake after a 2 point pre-season game is bonkers.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
KK was, is and will be a very good player. Not sure why it's news for people. But he's playing the wings now. Less responsabilities. More at ease to concentrate on his strenghts. His shot was and is still elite. Need some precisions but that strength is top 10. If he stays on the wings, he might develop into a better player. We just in here decided that at 18 years old while not playing the position the year before, he was ready to take charge of a line. Again, if there is ONE HUGE developmental story on the Habs with his management, it's this one. Unusual 3rd overall, picked for a need, that he wasn't even playing the year of his draft, and put in the NHL at the youngest of age in that position.

Just for that, those clowns should be fired. They are probably about to be extended.
Overseeing a successful, though unexpected, extended playoff run has its consequences. The run masked some overt deficiencies in this management's decision makings. It bought the current management team time. But it's only borrowed time. Should the Canadiens fail to make the playoffs, which I predict will happen, but not be putrid enough to 'save' their protected first round draft choice, the era of the Idiot Savant will, mercifully, come to a close.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
2 pts for KK < 4 pts for Dvorak ;)
Maybe we should put things in perspective. The night before Pezzetta scored two goals for the Habs. Does that mean he will win the Rocket Richard Trophy this season?
Let's see what KK does during the regular season against NHLers. I have my suspicions but I am honestly curious.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Maybe we should put things in perspective. The night before Pezzetta scored two goals for the Habs. Does that mean he will win the Rocket Richard Trophy this season?
Let's see what KK does during the regular season against NHLers. I have my suspicions but I am honestly curious.

As I said to someone else who replied to that post.... I posted that in jest.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
You know who he looked like out there, Vinny Lecavalier ... proceed and laugh at me but honestly he really looked like him out there .

Vinny was looking like Vinny when playing NHLers. Looking like Vinny when playing against garbage players... well.... not as important.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
2 pts for KK < 4 pts for Dvorak ;)

I know this post was in jest.

But for anyone who believes KK was indirectly traded for Dvorak, I don’t see it that way. It just accelerated the timeline for trading for Dvorak.

If the Habs had played their cards right this off-season they would have had both Dvorak and KK.

Reactions: EXPOS123 and MXD

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I know this post was in jest.

But for anyone who believes KK was indirectly traded for Dvorak, I don’t see it that way. It just accelerated the timeline for trading for Dvorak.

If the Habs had played their cards right this off-season they would have had both Dvorak and KK.

Yep. Mike Hoffman wasn't necessary.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yep. Mike Hoffman wasn't necessary.

I had that same feeling as well. Love what Hoffman brings to our PP but we spent all our cap and that also includes Weber's cap space. My plan for Weber's cap space was to give that to raises to our kids in the coming years.

Lets see what this season brings. There is a lot to like and we are a better team than we were the last time in the Atlantic. A few issues we are unsure about but games have to be played for us to evaluate further.

We match on KK and he is the 3C again if we didn't sign Hoffman and traded for Dvorak? Not sure KK is the right fit for 3C usage but we will never know now.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Habs don't Dvo if they don't get that 2nd 1st rounder from Carolina, come on now.

Habs were already aiming for DVO at the draft, they just didn't want to pay the price, which was a 1st round pick.

Also, as if Bergevin couldn't use his own first. It's just further proof of the hole he dug himself in, where he didn't want to pay the price (a 1st round pick), but ended-up having no other choice to accept to in the end.

If Danault were still here, KK would've been 3rd center. If Bergevin accepted to give up his own first and kept KK, he would still be 3rd center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad