Tribute Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Goodbye and Good Luck part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They could talk about future, but can not agree on a deal.

The rule I find unfair is the full year trade ban. It makes no sense when the offersheet is a one year contract. Maybe Bergevin would have match if there was a possibility to trade kk at the deadline or at the draft, which is possible for Carolina.

Pretty sure KK++ was Bergevin's pitch to the Sabres for Eichel too. Canes knew this I am sure. People can say it was not revenge but that is BS! No way the Canes make that move if we didn't offer sheet Aho. The calculated it very well and were probably fine if we matched or didn't match. Either way, it put an end to any KK++ for Eichel. KK, Guhle, 1st was a pretty good offer for Eichel (with other parts involved yes).

1 year offer sheets should be evaluated in the next CBA. I think it should cover their RFA years remaining at a minimum. The point of the offer sheet is if teams are trying to grossly underpay their RFA and the player/agent has options to use other teams to get fairly paid. This is not fair pay and it's a loophole to the RFA offer sheet reason why it was implemented.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
There’s a difference though. Hughes has outstanding offense. We’re not talking giving someone huge sheltered minutes so they can muster 30 Pts.

I don’t disagree with you either but in the case of someone as productive as Hughes it isn’t the same general rule.

You would think so... but his output has also been a function of how he's been used, and supported, in Van.

Can't assume he'd be as productive playing with a shorter leash and different expectations.

Real question would be how Hughes would respond to a situation like what Caufield saw... getting benched to start the playoffs despite obviously being more productive than lesser players kept in the lineup... not all young elite talents respond the same way to that kind of foolishness.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Basically imagine if we are about to offer sheet Tkachuk. Then we promise him on January 1 we sign him 8 years $8 mil per. His current rights still belongs to Ottawa so we can’t make extensions on a player we don’t have. If the reports were true about the extensions before the offer sheet, I don’t know if there will be a penalty.

Mark9988

Aug 29, 2021
Basically imagine if we are about to offer sheet Tkachuk. Then we promise him on January 1 we sign him 8 years $8 mil per. His current rights still belongs to Ottawa so we can’t make extensions on a player we don’t have. If the reports were true about the extensions before the offer sheet, I don’t know if there will be a penalty.

Lol, BT ain't signing in Montreal,

He wants to play in the states

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Who said anything about a promise. Wording it this way leads to confusion. It was tentative talks at best where the Canes said, "look, this is around what we can offer on a LT deal, if everything goes well". It's not tampering, especially since he was a free agent and they were in negociation.

Wording it the way you did is trying to limit the outlook to the one where it is tampering.

marinoni1983

Feb 8, 2017
Had an ex coach of the Habs move a few doors down from us a little over a month ago.

Finally had a good chat with him on Saturday, it was hard not to steer the conversation to hockey right away. Anyways, his thoughts on KK were he's highly skilled, his skating is not as bad I thought apparently, good shot as we all know but does not have the natural release is a half sec too slow... the main thing he said is he just doesn't listen to anyone, he thinks he has it all figured out already. He thought guys like Lekh and Armia would be able to talk to him and get him to buy in but apparently he simply just doesn't listen.

Sounds like KK needs to mature so he can take that next step. Mosr of these guys have short windows to figure it out. Kk will certainly be given more leash, but as we seen with Galchenyuk the leash slowly runs out eventually.

Mark9988

Aug 29, 2021
I am not a KK fan, however, i feel like the kid will become a solid second liner when a team uses him properly, and gives him decent linemates

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
That's true, and good for him but at the same time TB have 3 NHL players in their lineup tonight, Colton, Joseph and Serge.
What would we have said if he didn't produce though? Couldn't get on the score board against a bunch of AHLers. Him producing is a good sign IMO

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
How many times did he fall down?
0FCD1C51-85CD-4BEF-8B0C-EB6888409A45.jpeg

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Lol... this thread is too much.

He's gone, and yet some are still scrapping at anything to try and make it anything but what it was.... terrible asset management

Reactions: Runner77 and 417

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Lol... this thread is too much.

He's gone, and yet some are still scrapping at anything to try and make it anything but what it was.... terrible asset management

How should they have managed the asset this off season?

I know I know, many think they screwed his development but specifically this off season what should they have done to manage the "wasted" asset.
At some point ya gotta cut ties for the benefit of both sides ( Ala Danault, Petry) and they weren't getting a similar return from a trade so...... what would you have done this off season given the options?

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
How should they have managed the asset this off season?

I know I know, many think they screwed his development but specifically this off season what should they have done to manage the "wasted" asset.
At some point ya gotta cut ties for the benefit of both sides ( Ala Danault, Petry) and they weren't getting a similar return from a trade so...... what would you have done this off season given the options?

Do we know this for a fact? Did MB shop Kotkaniemi around?

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Let’s hear how you would’ve signed him to a 10 year 700k a year contract and you can’t believe Bergy didn’t get him to.
You can say something silly and try to pin it on other people all you want. It was terrible asset management through and through, and no amount of mental gymnastics performed in text will make reality different.

Reactions: 417

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Do we know this for a fact? Did MB shop Kotkaniemi around?

Nope MB didn't call me n tell me but Carolina did say they tried to trade for him.....
Maybe someone else has a link from Habs saying they offered less than than the OS return and in a world as small as 30ish players people would know.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad