Tribute Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Goodbye and Good Luck part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
It's debatable if Hughes would have made it in this organization.
On top of that, the draft was during a year where we were still an extremely undersized team, wasn’t a risk that made sense for Habs at the time. Size and a C were what we needed most so if it wasn’t KK, Tkachuk should have been the next consideration

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Hughes would be locked as 6th-7th, third pairing dman, rotating in and out of the lineup because of his defensive lapses and Romanov would still be playing in the K because of having too many green dmen.

I think there's always that bit of exaggeration. Hughes may not be treated like our #1 D but he certainly wouldn't be in and out of the lineup.

A guy producing that much can't be ignored.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
That doesn't follow, as Hughes' issue is catastrophically bad defense.
Ya that's just simply not true. He looked fine next to Tanev and would have looked fine next to Weber who made Mete and many more look much better than they actually were defensively.

It's really not debatable if he would have made this organization. Kid is uber talented, a world class skater and a very smart player. People seem to forget how solid he was defensively in his rookie season but one horendous stretch on an awful Canucks team matters more than anything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eegs

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I think there's always that bit of exaggeration. Hughes may not be treated like our #1 D but he certainly wouldn't be in and out of the lineup.

Being productive hasn't stopped this organization from keeping a short leash on young players in favour of less productive vets.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Ya that's just simply not true. He looked fine next to Tanev and would have looked fine next to Weber who made Mete and many more look much better than they actually were defensively.

It's really not debatable if he would have made this organization. Kid is uber talented, a world class skater and a very smart player. People seem to forget how solid he was defensively in his rookie season but one horendous stretch on an awful Canucks team matters more than anything else.

Hughes had the worst +/- on the Canucks by an colossal margin, and the Habs pretty much scored at will when he was on the ice this past season. History shows that Habs' brass has little patience for defensively weak young players, never mind catastrophically bad ones.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Being productive hasn't stopped this organization from keeping a short leash on young players in favour of less productive vets.

There’s a difference though. Hughes has outstanding offense. We’re not talking giving someone huge sheltered minutes so they can muster 30 Pts.

I don’t disagree with you either but in the case of someone as productive as Hughes it isn’t the same general rule.

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
Huh? That would be 100% legal. That's not tampering - it's re-signing your own player.
There are rumors ever since KK signed the offer sheet that the Canes had a 4m deal on the table for january. The league would need proofs that this is real to be considered tampering. So yeah pretty much no chance this happens, even if it might be tampering.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Man, this farewell has been drawn out more than that hyperbolic death of the Mechanical Bottom as Pyramus in A Midnight Summer Dream by good old Willie Shakespeare. I look forward to seeing this thread no more.

Reactions: Monsieur Miz

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

The Habs won't sacrifice offense for defense from Dmen.

Hughes is a great offensive Dman but he's so bad defensively.

Not a fit for how this team plays IMO.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
There are rumors ever since KK signed the offer sheet that the Canes had a 4m deal on the table for january. The league would need proofs that this is real to be considered tampering. So yeah pretty much no chance this happens, even if it might be tampering.

It isn't tampering at all.

People have this misconception KK was our player, he wasn't.

An RFA is like a UFA except with restrictions. None of those restrictions make him signed to us, only that we get some additional rights like the ability to match or retain rights until they sign.

Whatever discussion KK had with Carolina occurred as a Free Agent. The fact that its restricted or unrestricted doesn't have the fact he was a free agent. He could've planned his next 20 years with them and he'd be allowed to.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017

An RFA is like a UFA except with restrictions. None of those restrictions make him signed to us, only that we get some additional rights like the ability to match or retain rights until they sign.

Whatever discussion KK had with Carolina occurred as a Free Agent. The fact that its restricted or unrestricted doesn't have the fact he was a free agent. He could've planned his next 20 years with them and he'd be allowed to.

offering RFA a contract is legal. Talking to a RFA extension while rights belong to another team…definition of tampering.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

No he can’t discuss an additional contract. You can’t have those discussions until the final year of the contract. So they aren’t allowed to discuss before he signs the OS.

Imagine I could go to a UFA and say “look we are close to the cap this year. So take $3m for one year and then a year from now we will give you $5m per for 5 years.” That isn’t allowed.

And it’s even less allowed for RFAs because that messes up the entire idea of RFA compensation.

Last edited:
Reactions: LyricalLyricist

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
offering RFA a contract is legal. Talking to a RFA extension while rights belong to another team…definition of tampering.

No he can’t discuss an additional contract. You can’t have those discussions until the final year of the contract. So they aren’t allowed to discuss before he signs the OS.

Imagine I could go to a UFA and say “look we are close to the cap this year. So take $3m for one year and then a year from now we will give you $5m per for 5 years.” That isn’t allowed.

I always thought this was legal and I honestly don't see why it shouldn't be.

As far as I knew you can't SIGN an extension until July 1st/Jan 1st depending but nothing stops you from talking about it earlier.

In any case, tampering or not I don't care and I'm not bothered by it. The way I see it is its not binding until they sign anyway and if KK has a great or bad year their early talk is irrelevant.

I could tell a player I'll give you 3 mil today and I'll give you 10 mil next year and then release him before I do. Not much happens.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I always thought this was legal and I honestly don't see why it shouldn't be.

As far as I knew you can't SIGN an extension until July 1st/Jan 1st depending but nothing stops you from talking about it earlier.

In any case, tampering or not I don't care and I'm not bothered by it. The way I see it is its not binding until they sign anyway and if KK has a great or bad year their early talk is irrelevant.

I could tell a player I'll give you 3 mil today and I'll give you 10 mil next year and then release him before I do. Not much happens.

I think you lose credibility with agents pretty quickly if you back out of a deal like that. And I bet word would travel fast.

And I would say the conversations about potential future deals likely happens, but it won’t be legal. Like I said, it messes up the whole RFA compensation structure.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
On top of that, the draft was during a year where we were still an extremely undersized team, wasn’t a risk that made sense for Habs at the time. Size and a C were what we needed most so if it wasn’t KK, Tkachuk should have been the next consideration
It did come down to Tkachuk, because in the draft video they talk about Kk and they talk about a guy going to the net with power

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Hughes's flaw is he can be taken advantage of in his own end. I would not ignore that part of his game and I see it so many times with guys that are offensively gifted. He don't suck in that area but he can be taken advantage of in the trenches. But his regular season performances will look very solid. It's when the going gets tough is where he can be a target in his own end. He can't handle the big boys

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

And it’s even less allowed for RFAs because that messes up the entire idea of RFA compensation.

I'm not sure about that one. I don't believe there is nothing stopping the player and GM from talking about possible future contracts or hypothetical situations before anything is signed. All part of the dialog and good luck policing that.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
I think you lose credibility with agents pretty quickly if you back out of a deal like that. And I bet word would travel fast.

And I would say the conversations about potential future deals likely happens, but it won’t be legal. Like I said, it messes up the whole RFA compensation structure.
They could talk about future, but can not agree on a deal.

The rule I find unfair is the full year trade ban. It makes no sense when the offersheet is a one year contract. Maybe Bergevin would have match if there was a possibility to trade kk at the deadline or at the draft, which is possible for Carolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad