Tribute Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Goodbye and Good Luck part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Don Cherry came close to that lol. He called him Packayammy.

:)

200.gif

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
One thing I will say, I do have a problem with the amount of shitting on KK the media is doing after he's left, it's a bit of an ego thing, like when someone rejects you at a bar, "oh their trash". He wasn't he was a young guy who was likely arrogant, doesn't make him a bad human, just makes him human.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
If he wanted out, why sign an OS and risk a match by Montreal, knowing that OS would make him untradable for a year?

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
If Tavares never left they would have been alot better too.

Would they have been with Tavares taking up $11 million in cap space? He’s a good player of course but I don’t think he’s worth the 5th highest cap hit in the NHL.

On KK, I wish he was still a Habs player and didn’t like how it all played out. Getting a (probable) late 1st and 3rd for a young centre who has lots of potential wasn’t a great outcome at all.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Would they have been with Tavares taking up $11 million in cap space? He’s a good player of course but I don’t think he’s worth the 5th highest cap hit in the NHL.

On KK, I wish he was still a Habs player and didn’t like how it all played out. Getting a (probable) late 1st and 3rd for a young centre who has lots of potential wasn’t a great outcome at all.
That was on the open market though. I think it was either Toronto or re-signing with the Islanders.
chances are he would have signed little less than he got on the open market.

I could be wrong because I swear he took less money to sign in Toronto so who knows how much he turned down

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
i truly hope they sign him for 4 mill in January and the habs file a complaint of tampering and they f*** the canes and dundon with a fine and compensation for Mtl

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
If he wanted out, why sign an OS and risk a match by Montreal, knowing that OS would make him untradable for a year?

"Risk a match"... his agent probably knew ahead of time the Habs wouldn't match. No risk, only a clear way out of town.

I mean, a lot of us here speculated as much. The ripple effect on Suzuki, Caufield etc etc etc would have been disastrous -- saying otherwise is illogical strictly because of what happened in Toronto. We don't want to be Toronto, their cap space situation is absolutely miserable and they're on the back end of losing to us in the playoffs. Can't be much worse. Maybe Matthews leaving in 2 years would be worse, but that's it.

superstar436

Mar 4, 2004
Kotkaniemi always had that tinge of arrogance and immaturity about him.He's not as half as good as he thinks he is.I guess making big money and playing in the NHL at 18 will do that to some kids who aren't mentally prepared for it. Anyway,pyjama boy is the enemy now.

Now with 6.1 million given to him, he thinks more than ever, that he was right and they were wrong the whole time.

His ego only gets bigger, not a good sign for his future

Reactions: Max2

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
You suggesting that KK was held hostage?:huh:

The interesting thing is that I remember as a kid living in my hometown Nyköping (Newboro) and it was the first murder of a cop since 1916.
2 burglars were surprised by 2 cops during a break-in in and they shot a cop that died. One of the burglars was a guy from my neighborhood so it was all exciting to see TV news crews etc. as a kid of 7 or something. The other burglar was one of the hostage takers much later that lead to the word "Stockholm Syndrome". He had volunteered to try to talk to the guy since they knew each other from prison, instead he joined him. For some odd reason he later got Dutch citizenship even though he had a rap sheet that was very long. Anyway, as a side note, the original hostage taker was interviewed on TV and one of my teacher's wife saw the interview, fell in love with the criminal and left her husband and a kid to move in with the criminal! Incidentally the criminal turned his life around.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The interesting thing is that I remember as a kid living in my hometown Nyköping (Newboro) and it was the first murder of a cop since 1916.
2 burglars were surprised by 2 cops during a break-in in and they shot a cop that died. One of the burglars was a guy from my neighborhood so it was all exciting to see TV news crews etc. as a kid of 7 or something. The other burglar was one of the hostage takers much later that lead to the word "Stockholm Syndrome". He had volunteered to try to talk to the guy since they knew each other from prison, instead he joined him. For some odd reason he later got Dutch citizenship even though he had a rap sheet that was very long. Anyway, as a side note, the original hostage taker was interviewed on TV and one of my teacher's wife saw the interview, fell in love with the criminal and left her husband and a kid to move in with the criminal! Incidentally the criminal turned his life around.

Always interesting to learn where a term stems from,thanks! I may have known once upon a time,but......
Still remember that the Patty Hearst saga brought it to the forefront.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
i truly hope they sign him for 4 mill in January and the habs file a complaint of tampering and they f*** the canes and dundon with a fine and compensation for Mtl

Why would it be tampering? Teams have a right to talk to RFAs when they're up for renewal (after July 1st, usually). Whether for one year or more, further contracts could've been talked about in all legality.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why would it be tampering? Teams have a right to talk to RFAs when they're up for renewal (after July 1st, usually). Whether for one year or more, further contracts could've been talked about in all legality.

I'm unsure about the exact rules. Are you allowed talking to a RFA that is owned by another team or are you just allowed to submit an offer sheet with no communication? What I recall about the Aho offer sheet is we structured a lot of signing bonus money in and how did they come up with that strategy? A wild shot in the dark or were they talking to Aho's agent and found out that the Canes were not willing to offer signing bonus?

I'm guessing that you are allowed to have dialog with other team's RFA's but not 100% sure. The tampering narrative is with the understanding (true or not) that you are only allowed to submit an offer sheet with no dialog.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

This is from the CBA under the exhibit for Standard Player’s Contract:

The Club and the Player represent and warrant that there are no undisclosed agreements of any kind, express or implied, oral or written and that there are no promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent, supplements or understandings of any kind between the Player or his Certified Agent and the Club that have not been disclosed to the NHL, with regard to: (i) any consideration of any kind to be paid, furnished or made available during the term of the SPC or thereafter; and/or (ii) and future renegotiation, extension, amendment or termination of this SPC.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I'm unsure about the exact rules. Are you allowed talking to a RFA that is owned by another team or are you just allowed to submit an offer sheet with no communication? What I recall about the Aho offer sheet is we structured a lot of signing bonus money in and how did they come up with that strategy? A wild shot in the dark or were they talking to Aho's agent and found out that the Canes were not willing to offer signing bonus?

I'm guessing that you are allowed to have dialog with other team's RFA's but not 100% sure. The tampering narrative is with the understanding (true or not) that you are only allowed to submit an offer sheet with no dialog.

From the CBA

Restricted Free Agents.
(a) Group 2 Players and Free Agents.
(i) (A) Any Player who meets the qualifications set forth in the following chart and: (1) is not a Group 1 Player or a Group 4 Player, and (2) is not an Unrestricted Free Agent, shall be deemed to be a "Group 2 Player" and shall, at the expiration of his SPC, become a Restricted Free Agent. Any such Player shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with any such Player, subject to the provisions set forth in this Section.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
From the CBA

Restricted Free Agents.
(a) Group 2 Players and Free Agents.
(i) (A) Any Player who meets the qualifications set forth in the following chart and: (1) is not a Group 1 Player or a Group 4 Player, and (2) is not an Unrestricted Free Agent, shall be deemed to be a "Group 2 Player" and shall, at the expiration of his SPC, become a Restricted Free Agent. Any such Player shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with any such Player, subject to the provisions set forth in this Section.

So then, you are allowed Dialog. Makes sense to me. And if you are the Canes and are considering an offer sheet, you would be smart to engage on possible extensions with KK's agent. Problem with that is if they agreed to $4M and he underperforms. Then what? I wonder if they agreed to certain numbers depending on games played and production per/game?

I have to admit, there is a small part of me that says KK burns us like Sergachev. But then I look at his skating and if he can improve it? Seems unlikely he improves his physical strength and skating in the short run. Lets hope that Dvorak is a 50-65 pts guy for us.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal

Great story! Love it!

Smal problem, though … Wikipedia disagrees with you:

Norrmalmstorg robbery - Wikipedia

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Great story! Love it!

Smal problem, though … Wikipedia disagrees with you:

Norrmalmstorg robbery - Wikipedia

Which part? If you mean that one of his demands was to get Olofsson there? Maybe I remembered it slightly incorrectly. The main part is correct and the wife and kid he later moved to Thailand with , that wife was the former wife of one of my teachers. and they moved back to Sweden and he has retired :) The other guy Olofsson is one of the most well-known crooks in Sweden. He actually moved to Belgium and not the Netherlands so that was incorrect as well.

Reactions: Habs10Habs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad