Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -V - all still silent

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
How does Ryan Whitney know what the actual offer is? Speculation? Twitter?

Unless the agent or Swayman told you how could anything be actual?

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Wow this topic has posters really upset. No one here knows a thing about negotiations All rumours and speculation. Yet people are attacking Sway and Sweeneys character let alone each others. Never ever witnessed anything like it Crazy
well

Spitting Chicklets said Swayman has been insulted with a low ball offer of 4 X 6 M and infer Sweeney is a cheap SOB

Rich Keefe says Swayman wants 8 X 10 M and infer Gross/Swayman is a greedy prick

This really boils down to who you believe

Keefe was right about Pastrnak contract, and not to take anyone younger than 15 to Deadpool & Wolverine

Gotta lean there

Reactions: Bodit9 and nORRis8

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Wow this topic has posters really upset. No one here knows a thing about negotiations All rumours and speculation. Yet people are attacking Sway and Sweeneys character let alone each others. Never ever witnessed anything like it Crazy
Never witnessed anything like it outside of hf. Because I’m pretty sure it’s par for the course here. DeBrusk vs Cassidy vs front office. Front office vs Pasta contract. Perfection line vs splitting them up. The 2015 draft. It’s all personal here.

Reactions: Dr Hook and lopey

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
I really have to question the front office at this point. Can they not proper evaluate goaltending talent and tell that Swagman is an elite goalie? The kid only played a limited amount of games because the organization limited his playing time. I am sure he wanted additional starts but the Bruins had a Vezina goalie and wanted to ride them both - that's fine but then you can't hold him accountable for not having enough of track record. Swayman was a stud in college, stud in Providence and a stud at the NHL level...theres the track record. Cut the stupid &&^(&*%^# and pay the man. 8 years at $8mill per and get on with it.

You answered your own question. Paying $8-9M+ for a goalie that hasn't really had one single full season as a full time starting #1 goalie is crazy. He was good, yes, but he hasn't had one season of being the main guy.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
You answered your own question. Paying $8-9M+ for a goalie that hasn't really had one single full season as a full time starting #1 goalie is crazy. He was good, yes, but he hasn't had one season of being the main guy.

It's not when you want to lock him up for 8 years. You can't intentionally limit a guy and try to use that against him in contract negotiations

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Because the Bruins organization limited his time.... He was deserving of playing a full time role but the organization had another plan. He has played in a total of 132 games and has a 2.34GAA and a .919. That's elite and PLENTY of track record to go off of.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
How does Ryan Whitney know what the actual offer is? Speculation? Twitter?

Unless the agent or Swayman told you how could anything be actual?

He has sources he trusts.

Kind of like how there were a lot of people saying they had sources they trusted who told them swaymans dead would be done within 24 hours roughly a week ago today.

Doesn’t necessarily mean it’s good sources

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
El wrongo

20240925_140604-COLLAGE.jpg

Aaaah yes. I see it now.

And you don’t need to scold me for a pretty basic and simple answer. I didn’t attack you for how impossible it is to do your “thought exercise” - just said that these things have been quantified by others. Pulling some “3 times the value” out of a hat towards a conclusion you’ve already reached is pretty funny.
It's a bit.:laugh:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
We don't know what Sweeney said but honestly how bad could it have been? Does anyone believe he got personal with it? Surely not. It was professional critique. Probably cited issues with Swayman's rebound control, week-to-week consistency and the fact that he had no proven he can carry the load as a #1 starter in the NHL. All true. Professionals who make millions of dollars should be able to accept professional criticism.
Well, did he accept that professional critique?

It appears as if he has a bee up his ass about the process which, again, he initiated.

His response, as communicated through interviews and the stance of his agent, suggests immaturity on the part of the player.

I liked Jeremy from the start and still believe he can be Boston's franchise goaltender of the future as well as a standout in the immediate term.

But his recalcitrance is misplaced, if not alarming.

I expect them to get it done one way or the other.

If not, Sweeney should trade Swayman for best return.

As good as he is and may yet be, one player is not worth disrupting a stable and winning culture.

Last edited:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

How many starts do you think Swayman gets as the Bruins undisputed #1 now that Ullmark is gone? What's the threshold for starts where a goalie is a starting #1?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
How many starts do you think Swayman gets as the Bruins undisputed #1 now that Ullmark is gone? What's the threshold for starts where a goalie is a starting #1?

Conventional wisdom and past history has it around 55-60, more in some cases, but barring an injury causing a significant loss of time, I don't see it as much less than that.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Sure when you phrase it like that. But he's not going to be a "part time goalie" moving forward.

I could phrase it "Pissing off and cheaping out on 1 of your top 3 assets while overpaying for a C who is already hurt and who will be on the wrong side of 30 pretty soon, AND trading away a Vezina winning goalie for a poor return that included a bad goalie who makes stupid money for stupid term.IS poor managing."

Potatoes-Tomatoes.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Is it Swayman’s fault that he didn’t have a full time role or the teams fault?

The team chose to Ullmark, a goalie with no future as a bruin, as many games as swayman.

Maybe the organization shouldn’t have put themselves in this position.

Conventional wisdom and past history has it around 55-60, more in some cases, but barring an injury causing a significant loss of time, I don't see it as much less than that.

I agree 55-60 for a #1, but I’ve also had at least a dozen people here tell me korpisalo is a good contract because he’s going to play at least 30 games.

Reactions: Dr Hook

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

So the difference between Swayman last season in the regular season and being a "#1 starter" was 12 starts. He then posted 12 starts in the post season, where he was an absolute monster.....and fans are questioning if he could handle a #1 workload :huh:

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So the difference between Swayman last season in the regular season and being a "#1 starter" was 12 starts. He then posted 12 starts in the post season, where he was an absolute monster.....and fans are questioning if he could handle a #1 workload :huh:

Yeah I don't think that it's a serious issue. He can do it and would be fine. I DO think that it matters in contract negotiations, however.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
@EverettMike Your thought experiment.
I put Swayman, McAvoy and Pastrnak at 1-1-1. I think without any of those guys, the Bruins become a bubble team (or worse).

Your Zadorov at three times? I disagree with. Not from any statistical standard, but the reason I’m okay with an overspend on Zadorov is that I think his presence will have a larger overall effect to team confidence than the number of minutes he plays. He’s got a lot of warts, but he’s also the bully that Bruins needed. 1-2 in my opinion.

Elias Lindholm may prove me wrong, but as of today? He’d be the 1-3 for me. I know he’s slated to play a more important role, but he’ll have to convince me that he’s a better option than Coyle and Zacha (and hopefully soon Poitras) in that capacity. Contract still feels like a real mistake. I’ll be ecstatic if I’m wrong.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
This entire thread (actually all five of ‘em, and counting) is like a series of DKH (nice avatar lol) posts gone completely off the rails: hyperbole, satire, absolute earnestness, irony (usually all at once), social commentary and a merry-go-round all rolled-up into one. More please!

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
This entire thread (actually all five of ‘em, and counting) is like a series of DKH (nice avatar lol) posts gone completely off the rails: hyperbole, satire, absolute earnestness, irony (usually all at once), social commentary and a merry-go-round all rolled-up into one. More please!

As a key contributor to this chaos I’ll take it as a compliment that we’ve managed to go full @DKH

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I don’t know if I’ve made it clear before, but I’m on Swayman’s side in this debate.

Not because I trust any of these numbers being batted about. Because I don’t. I know I don’t know shit about where each side sits. My opinion is forged from a recognized ignorance.

But it’s Sweeney’s job to ice the best team possible and if we go into the season with Korpisalo as the starter, that’s an offseason fail with a capital f***ing F. He rushed to trade Ullmark for a shit return and then fails to get his other starter under contract? Inexcusable. This is your job. Do your f***ing job. Get this done.

Reactions: UncleRico

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
It’s pretty simple.

The club yielded some leverage when they dealt Ullmark.

They still retain some major leverage because Swayman is restricted and his options are severely limited.

Swayman’s leverage is to take this up to, and into the regular season all the way until November 30th.

I’m certainly not losing sleep over it. I’m interested to see which side blinks first. Management could have egg on their face is the club struggles out of the gate and the vultures start circling, especially if it’s due in part to leaky goaltending.

1727298356581.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad