Around the League Thread | Pre-Season Approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Funny part is the Sens board loves Green doing that. It's going to light a fire under guys! And Smith would never have done that!

There's a reason other coaches don't say those things. It's not particularly motivating to essentially say no matter what most of you have already been cut we just haven't told you yet. A better way to say things would be "Those fighting for a spot I want to see everything you have tonight". It's the same thing but in a manner much less likely to cause eye rolling.

Doughty....huge hit to the Kings. Doughty played 5 more minutes a game then the next highest guy in the Kings (25:48 vs 20:54) last year.

Reactions: Vector

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Funny part is the Sens board loves Green doing that. It's going to light a fire under guys! And Smith would never have done that!

There's a reason other coaches don't say those things. It's not particularly motivating to essentially say no matter what most of you have already been cut we just haven't told you yet. A better way to say things would be "Those fighting for a spot I want to see everything you have tonight". It's the same thing but in a manner much less likely to cause eye rolling.

Doughty....huge hit to the Kings. Doughty played 5 more minutes a game then the next highest guy in the Kings (25:48 vs 20:54) last year.
You can get the same message across using different words. End of the day, these guys know the drill. Sens have 7 pre-season games. This one is game 3, so natural time for significant number of roster decisions.

DD, that's a lot of minutes to redistribute. Can those guys handle more minutes in tougher situations? A fracture would take him out til when? After US thanksgiving, Xmas? New year?

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
You can get the same message across using different words. End of the day, these guys know the drill. Sens have 7 pre-season games. This one is game 3, so natural time for significant number of roster decisions.

DD, that's a lot of minutes to redistribute. Can those guys handle more minutes in tougher situations? A fracture would take him out til when? After US thanksgiving, Xmas? New year?
I know the guys know the drill it's just such a bizarre authoritarian way to say cuts are coming.

Reactions: Vector

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

Exactly. "For those of you hovering on the cut line: make every shift count, make every play count. Take charge and seize the moment". Conveys the same information and motivates at the same time.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I know the guys know the drill it's just such a bizarre authoritarian way to say cuts are coming.
Yep. Should aim to get those on the bubble (and they know who they are) to give it their all in the upcoming game. Don't play to not get cut, play to make the team. That kind of stuff.

Sens have expectations. I mean, they did the right thing for them as an org handing out long term deals to their guys coming out of elc, but it's go time. Chabot is in year 5 of his, Tkachuck year 4, Norris year 3, Stutzle year 2, Sanderson year 1.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Ottawa’s team environment is already pretty toxic. Tkachuk is a primadonna terrible captain who doesn’t lead by example on the ice. No, challenging guys after EVERY whistle, taking stupid penalties, and starting shit with 5 minutes left in the game while being down a goal out isn’t leadership. He’s part of that loser mentality going on over there and Green just adds more to that with his f*** you unapproachable attitude.

Reactions: andora

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I know everyone is all anti-Green now, but I recall this board being surprisingly supportive of him up until the year he was fired.

Last edited:

ephmrl

5th overall.
Nov 26, 2011
Victoria, BC
I know everyone is all anti-Green now, but I recall this boarding being surprisingly supportive of him up until the year he was fired.
Benning, Weisbrod, and Aquilini were much easier targets for people's frustrations with that era of the team. Torts and Willie Desjardins being the previous two coaches also meant that coaching expectations were much lower in this market at the time.

Reactions: Hodgy

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I know everyone is all anti-Green now, but I recall this boarding being surprisingly supportive of him up until the year he was fired.
I'm an OG Green hater ever since it became apparent that he didn't learn a goddamn thing from the playoff run in the bubble.

Reactions: Hodgy

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

As someone who hated the guy going back to his time in Utica, yeah. Circa 2018-2020 this board was licking his balls and I was sitting here every day saying THERE IS NO SYSTEM! THERE IS NO PROSPECT DEVELOPMENT! HE'S JUST PUTTING OUT THE MOST CONSERVATIVE ROSTER POSSIBLE AND THEN HOPING HIS GOALIE CAN STEAL THE GAME!

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

In comparison to Desjardins he seemed better, but by god that's a low bar. I really didn't appreciate this weird undercurrent of egotism in his communication with the media, and yeah, the team really just never developed into anything with a coherent vibe or system other than "hang on for dear life and we can win if we get Vezina calibre goaltending"

Reactions: ephmrl

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
We should all sit back with some popcorn and watch Travis destroy the sens window.

Hopefully our management is watching and ready to take advantage when ish hits the fan there. Obv Brady is the ultimate but there's a number of players we could use to jack up the cup odds. Zub, pinto, sandy, Marky etc

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
As someone who hated the guy going back to his time in Utica, yeah. Circa 2018-2020 this board was licking his balls and I was sitting here every day saying THERE IS NO SYSTEM! THERE IS NO PROSPECT DEVELOPMENT! HE'S JUST PUTTING OUT THE MOST CONSERVATIVE ROSTER POSSIBLE AND THEN HOPING HIS GOALIE CAN STEAL THE GAME!
For sure. I recall when his contract came up for renewal, and likely everyone in the media, and the overwhelming majority on here, took it for granted that he should be re-signed and I had no idea how his track record justified that support.

For me, Benning was always the bigger of the two problems. And I get that Green never had a "good" roster here, but he also never got anything more than you'd expect out of the shitty rosters he did have.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Ottawa’s team environment is already pretty toxic. Tkachuk is a primadonna terrible captain who doesn’t lead by example on the ice. No, challenging guys after EVERY whistle, taking stupid penalties, and starting shit with 5 minutes left in the game while being down a goal out isn’t leadership. He’s part of that loser mentality going on over there and Green just adds more to that with his f*** you unapproachable attitude.

He never should of been made Captain so young. And yeah just a bunch of qualities old school coaches love but doesn't actually win games. Doesn't seem as smart on when to do that stuff like his brother and not the same level of talent.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

I didn't hate him. His coaching style certainly instilled some trauma (not the defensive shell again...no...please...) but I tried to afford him some slack because it's not like Jimbo gave him much to work with. Can't expect a guy to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. And he was completely hung out to dry during the whole COVID debacle and was the only person in a position of authority who tried to take accountability for it. And he seemed like a decent enough guy.

But I just don't see his coaching style yielding success in Ottawa. It doesn't seem like he's changed much, if at all. Maybe if he had a veteran laden team with talent at all positions it would be different. But I just see this being Vancouver Part Deux for him, and I don't think it'll end well.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

Green had a lot going for him to get people to like him.

1) A number of elite players entering the league that people wanted to cheer for.
2) Markstom developing into a top 10 goalie
3) The team was coming off a bunch of bottom 5 finishes. Got credit for "turning the team around"
4) Willy D was the coach before( who honestly may be a better coach)

All that good will was gone quickly though when all the young players stagnated or got worse, and everyone realized the team was relying on Markstrom and Demko to steal games.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
He never should have been made Captain so young. And yeah just a bunch of qualities old school coaches love but doesn't actually win games. Doesn't seem as smart on when to do that stuff like his brother and not the same level of talent.
He’s an awesome player and can be borderline dominant when he’s got his head on straight. It’s just he’s not captain material and his antics on the ice is part of the problem there of a toxic culture.

Over the last 2 years, there’s been a lot of reports of locker room problems.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Looking at the YouTube highlights overnight, that ankle injury to Drew Doughty looks pretty serious. That might be final blow for the Kings....who are one of my picks for a massive correction this season. They really aren't that good.....and their goaltending is highly suspect.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I know everyone is all anti-Green now, but I recall this board being surprisingly supportive of him up until the year he was fired.
I'm not sure it was people being supportive of him that long. I think it was more that there were bigger fish to fry that needed to be dealt with before or at the same time. He was a poor coach but his coaching was still better than the GM and AGM management and team build.

Willie D was probably a better coach overall in terms of preparation and what not. His issue was he was so involved in watching the play he was completely paralyzed into inaction. 1-2-3-4. Green was the opposite. Rarely did the team look prepared and the blender came out immediately.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
1727388171773.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad