Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -V - all still silent

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Both the team and Swayman have leverage. Swayman can deny his services. The Bruins can deny Swayman an opportunity to ply his trade in the best league in the world. Neither team really hurts themselves by using their leverage until the season gets under way. At that point denying service or opportunity becomes cutting off ones nose to spite one's face. And still we will not truly know which side is being unreasonable ever. But onward we go.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
With this defense and Goalie Bob, it isn't a complete absurdity that Korpi could be a comeback player of the year candidate.
He looked extremely technically sound, yes against a bad team, but, that's the way you are supposed to play. Positionally sound, engage attentionally. There was one screen the he made a simple positional play to steer the puck to the boards.
If his sight and confidence issues and are fixed, the stores will be out of crow by Xmas.:cool:

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
With this defense and Goalie Bob, it isn't a complete absurdity that Korpi could be a comeback player of the year candidate.
He looked extremely technically sound, yes against a bad team, but, that's the way you are supposed to play. Positionally sound, engage attentionally. There was one screen the he made a simple positional play to steer the puck to the boards.
If his sight and confidence issues and are fixed, the stores will be out of crow by Xmas.:cool:

I thought he looked OK but to me he looked like Ullmark did in year one. Like someone trying to process some new coaching. Ullmark year one was slow laterally and had issues with positioning and how goalie Bob wants goalies to play on the post when the puck is below the dots and behind the goal line.

Felt the same about Korpi last night.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
NHL Network Radio this morning stated Korpisalo ranked 97 out of 98 goalies that played in the NHL last season.

What if the B’s start 3-8-1 and he’s got a GAA over 3.50?

I don't think for a second that it'll matter. Sway loses much more sitting the year.

RFA holdouts are generally catastrophes for the player in the NHL. This also isn't an old team clinging to one last try. Down year and they can sign Linus as a UFA at 6M. Life continues.

Sway does not have that luxury. And his agent is on the hot seat.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
I thought he looked OK but to me he looked like Ullmark did in year one. Like someone trying to process some new coaching. Ullmark year one was slow laterally and had issues with positioning and how goalie Bob wants goalies to play on the post when the puck is below the dots and behind the goal line.

Felt the same about Korpi last night.
I read after the trade that Korpi already has been playing the back flow style Bob teaches. Bob also teaches the inverted V post style.(post leg down as opposed to up and inside leg down, which use to be the norm. (Yes, former goalie, current goalie nerd!)

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Aye, that proposal actually dampened my entire evening
So far no takers from Bruins fans.

I wonder however, what about that rationale is incongruent with how many are speaking about Swayman right now? For a goaltender who hasn’t proven anything, is so full of himself that he figures he wants to set the market on ace goaltending and on a position where spending money in the first place is a Fool’s Errand… Should it not be the Blackhawks who scoff at this offer?

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I don't think for a second that it'll matter. Sway loses much more sitting the year.

RFA holdouts are generally catastrophes for the player in the NHL. This also isn't an old team clinging to one last try. Down year and they can sign Linus as a UFA at 6M. Life continues.

He doesn't have to miss the year. A bad 15 game start in net and the pressure increases on Sweeney, a lot.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
I read after the trade that Korpi already has been playing the back flow style Bob teaches. Bob also teaches the inverted V post style.(post leg down as opposed to up and inside leg down, which use to be the norm. (Yes, former goalie, current goalie nerd!)

Same.

Still felt he got happy feet and looked uncomfortable when the puck went into the corners. He’ll figure it out. He looked more like he was thinking versus reacting. When he gets 100% used to it I think he’ll be good. But time will tell.

Us goalies are finicky creatures. Lol

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
So far no takers from Bruins fans.

I wonder however, what about that rationale is incongruent with how many are speaking about Swayman right now? For a goaltender who hasn’t proven anything, is so full of himself that he figures he wants to set the market on ace goaltending and on a position where spending money in the first place is a Fool’s Errand… Should it not be the Blackhawks who scoff at this offer?

Not saying that i agree with the notion that Swayman is selfish but i think for a team rebuilding and with cap space, it's probably easier to look away from potential attitude issues and comply just to get the talent in.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Not saying that i agree with the notion that Swayman is selfish but i think for a team rebuilding and with cap space, it's probably easier to look away from potential attitude issues and comply just to get the talent in.
The unproven talent you mean. Mrazek has played over 50 games three times in his career. Including just this last season. That’s three more than Swayman. His .908 save percentage last year ranked him 19th in the league on the 29th ranked defense. Ahead of goaltenders like Saros and Oettinger.

Out of Swayman and Mrazek you could definitely make the argument that the latter is more proven and has earned the bigger payday. Why would the Blackhawks even consider this deal? They’d probably laugh and hang up.

• Haha
Reactions: EverettMike

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The unproven talent you mean. Mrazek has played over 50 games three times in his career. Including just this last season. That’s three more than Swayman. His .908 save percentage last year ranked him 19th in the league on the 29th ranked defense. Ahead of goaltenders like Saros and Oettinger.

Out of Swayman and Mrazek you could definitely make the argument that the latter is more proven and has earned the bigger payday. Why would the Blackhawks even consider this deal? They’d probably laugh and hang up.

I think you overshot your point.

Reactions: Bodit9

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
if "Goalie Bob" can make Koripsalo a legitimate replacement for Swayman, then Essensa's next contract should be for 8 figures. f*** it they should give him 50% ownership of the team.
It's not just Goalie Bob, it's also going from the worst defense in the league to one of the best. When we got him I made a case that he could resurrect his career and posted the shot charts for Ottawa and Boston. They couldn't have been more opposite. In Ottawa the majority of shots were coming from the slot. In Boston the majority of shots come from the perimeter. That change should really help. Goalie Bob should really help... Hopefully it comes together and we have another great duo.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
He doesn't have to miss the year. A bad 15 game start in net and the pressure increases on Sweeney, a lot.
I do not think that Sweeney is going to agree to Swayman's high end contract request. In addition, this team even without Swayman should be able to play some solid hockey and win a good majority of their games. Limited injuries and they should be okay.

I believe that Sweeney will not be in panic mode for quite some time.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I’m intrigued by Bussi.

He’s 26. Not young by NHL standards.

Perhaps the organization and Essensa are confident that he’s able to step in and play 40 games this season.

Of course you never know what it’ll look like until they play the games.

Manny Fernandez was brought in to be “the guy”, and Thomas held onto the job while Fernandez was a waste of cap space.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

If korpisalo starts 3-8-1 like suggested then the bruins run the risk of missing the playoffs and Sweeney will lose his job of the Bs moss the playoffs.

The GMs job being in jeopardy is definitely leverage.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
To Chicago:
Jeremy Swayman

To Boston:
Peter Mrazek ($1M retained)
2nd Round Pick

Who says no?

1727349228723.gif

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
What would Swayman’s stats look like if he played for Ottawa last year?
All kinds of statistics get thrown around and you hear some in passing taken out of context, but I feel like I heard a stat that the B’a were 24th in expected goals against last year, which speaks to Ullmark & Swayman’s proficiency in defending against high danger chances.

Again, I’m no analytics expert.

However, it’ll be interesting to see where this thing ends up if the two sides enter the season at an impasse.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad