Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman IV - even more nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
IF they give him 9.5 for 8 at the end of the deal it will look great. The cap will continue to rise, the league is talking about more expansion and Utah should be a better market than Arizona. IF the cap tops 110m in 4 years he is less than a 10% cap hit which is reasonable for an all star goalie. 9.5 right now is high, it won't be in a few years.
Not if he regresses, it won't. Or even if he maintains his current form.

People are operating under the assumption that young goalies just continue to get better and better. That's not always the case. Jordan Binnington, Devan Dubnyk, Carter Hart (before the allegations), Jake Oettinger etc.

Not saying Swayman will regress. But its not out of the question and there's definitely risk with a long term, high cap deal. Wanna use a comp? Use Thatcher Demko and give him 5yrs adjusted up for inflation.

Reactions: lopey

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
All these issues are self inflicted by Don Sweeney.

Couldn't give Swayman a proper 2nd contract because of cap mistakes, so now wants a re-do and Swayman isn't budging. Good on Sway.
Or maybe good by Sway

Swayman is coming off a .933 SV% in 12 games and did everything he could to get this team past Florida. Maybe if the offense doesn't get held to 2 or less goals in 5 of their 6 games, they actually get past Florida. Was Swayman supposed to score goals and stop them?

Why does Rask 22 games in that one playoff run matter more than his 3 years of play leading up to that playoff series?

You want to see a crazy stat...

Goals Save Above Expected
Rask (2013 Playoffs) - 22GP / 16.1 GSAE
Sway (2024 Playoffs) - 12GP / 13.3 GSAE

Swayman in nearly half as many games had nearly the same GSAE as Rask did during is 2013 cup run.
Well maybe they need to take some of that goaltending money and get some goal scoring.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
I know the stats. I’m a big fan of Sway and have been on board with an 8x$8M contract all along.

Rask started 34 out of 48 games that season as well. Very clearly the number 1.

Why did Gross leak that they’re looking for the McAvoy contract and not the Rask contract?
Do we know that it's only been Gross leaking the negotiation/offer details so far?

I would have guessed the rumored $10M/yr and the McAvoy contract asks would have been leaked by the Bruins. And likewise would have assumed the 4yr $6.25M/yr or the 8yr "in the sixes" offers would have been leaked by Gross.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
My wildest theory, of which there is literally no proof, is that Sweeney and the Bruins brought up the Game 7 loss to Florida as a reason for Swayman not to win his arbitration hearing and that rightfully pissed him off considering the circumstances.
Most of the rational options have been presented several times. We only have two options left, wait and see, or wildly speculate to keep it interesting. That wild one is as good as any.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Do we know that it's only been Gross leaking the negotiation/offer details so far?

I would have guessed the rumored $10M/yr and the McAvoy contract asks would have been leaked by the Bruins. And likewise would have assumed the 4yr $6.25M/yr or the 8yr "in the sixes" offers would have been leaked by Gross.
We don’t know of course but it’s not hard to figure out, other than Keefe who is never right and needed eyeballs for his new gig. Forget the $10M it’s the McAvoy contract that came from Gross for sure. Just like it’s not hard to guess at where Fluto’s angle came from today.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
So would you rather go 4 years now and 8 years later instead of 8 years now?
I'd rather go 4yrs now and re-asses based on how this team is performing, how Swayman is performing, what our cap situation is at that time, and what other goaltending options there are at that time (both internally and in free agency).

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
That has nothing to do with having the "nuts" to offer a two year deal. That's a fireable offense in and of itself.
then trade him. Makes zero sense to want to go 4 years then 8 years after, not even counting the fact 4 is ridiculous at this point for Swayman to take. Do 8 now. You won't have those final garbage years like they will with Lindholm and Lindholm. I know you are fully in favor of 8/64 and to me that would get it done IMO

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
IMG_1208.jpeg

Since a simple ask for civility doesnt seem to sink in it looks like Swayman may be back before some of you if you dont get a grip.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I mean Sorokin just signed for 8x$8.25. Obviously a few years older. But more accomplished.

Fair, but I said find me a goalie who has similar numbers through the same age. Sorokin is 3yrs older than Swayman.

Thatcher Demko, on some crap Vancouver teams. SV% is almost identical. GAA is worse, but he was on a worse team, unlike Swayman who played on a record setting 2022-23 team.

Demko through age 25
72GP / 2.93 GAA / .911 SV% / 1 SO

Swayman through age 25
132GP / 2.34 GAA / .919 SV% / 12 SO

They don't seem close in numbers at all

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Rask had just put up a .940 in 22 playoff games on the way to the Stanley Cup Final. He signed his $7M contract on July 10, 2013. Walk me through how that is a good comp for Swayman.

Because they are? Like I said, why should the Bruins be first?

So do you blame swayman for the bruins not playing 22 playoff games?

I would blame just about everyone else besides him for that.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad